NME: "Does Rock 'N' Roll Kill Braincells?!" - Billy Bragg (October 21, 2021); Smiths / Morrissey mentions

JF3_1935-Billy-Bragg-20-4-21-RTUSE-1392x883.jpg

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz an artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them.

Talking about Boris Johnson...

“He wanted to include Kirsty’s cover of it. Here’s the thing: I listened to his Desert Island Discs and, as he was playing The Smiths, I was thinking: ‘He’s going to play ‘A New England’ – he’s going to play one of my songs and kill my reputation! This is going to be awful! But he didn’t – phew! (Laughs) You put out these songs and never know who’s going to hook onto them. I bumped into [austerity architect] George Osborne when he was Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer and he exclaimed: ‘Billy Bragg!’ at me, before singing: I was 21 years when I wrote this song/I’m 22 now…’ You can’t choose your fans!”

In 1987, NME readers voted you the second Most Wonderful Human Being. Who beat you?

“I wonder how those readers feel now about making Morrissey the Most Wonderful Human Being.”
CORRECT.
“I got used to coming second to Morrissey and The Smiths. That was par for the course in those days. That was cool. Their standard was so high that getting anywhere near them was good.”
You wrote a statement in 2019 condemning Morrissey for spreading far-right ideas. Can you separate the man from his art?
“As someone who writes political songs, there are plenty of people out there who are Tories who like my love songs, so clearly you can do that. I struggle. I’m OK listening to The Smiths, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to listen to his solo albums anymore – although I wasn’t much of a fan of those anyway.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I plan to see Billy Bragg in concert later this week. Life is too short not to.

I was very impressed with his interview on 6Music with Steve Lamacq last week (or was it the week before). The epitome of être bien dans sa peau.

life's too short to not see Billy Bragg?🙁....in 1988 maybe.

Who's being disingenuous now? You've given a supposed situation there, with no examples, and then said this particular chap did nothing. I mean, he does nothing about thousands of issues. So do I.

Pack it in, you straw-grasping creep

He released a song in 92 because homophobia was an issue he was apparently concerned about - yet he said nothing about the reported homophobia directed at Morrissey by the crowd, the homophobic digs from critics, or the NME's homophobic spin on the Finsbury Park gig - I've posted the Indie review, the Select articles & the NME's article numerous times. He commented on the racism allegations so he had opportunity to speak out & didn't understand or didn't care.

Who's being disingenuous now? You've given a supposed situation there, with no examples, and then said this particular chap did nothing. I mean, he does nothing about thousands of issues. So do I.

t internet aggression with a well placed hyphen

I didn’t know he’d made it onto TOTPs with that. It is brilliant.

I guess my issue with Billy Bragg is (as with so many on the left) he hates many more of the working classes than he likes. Morrissey is just one of millions he wants on his Procrustean Bed. And when you become idealistic, to the extent you largely hate the reality, then the cause becomes more religious than political—at least in any democratic sense.

But when it comes to lyrics, poetry and wordplay, he’s a match for Morrissey I feel.

Used to follow Bragg on FB and he's normally pretty open to replying to people, even if they disagree with him. Other week, I questioned him on a few issues....the death of the Southend MP, his support of trans rights to the exclusion of women.........and he blocked me. No swearing, no abuse...just what i thought were pertinent oppositional questions.......and he couldn't take it.

I couldn't care less. He says he cares about homophobia but when the press were printing homophobic things about Morrissey, he did nothing.
Along with every single other person alive at the time. The vicious bastard.

Do you ever, in your whole life, ever have a positive word to say about anything? Or is Moz Solo your one place where you can vent.

Used to follow Bragg on FB and he's normally pretty open to replying to people, even if they disagree with him. Other week, I questioned him on a few issues....the death of the Southend MP, his support of trans rights to the exclusion of women.........and he blocked me. No swearing, no abuse...just what i thought were pertinent oppositional questions.......and he couldn't take it.
Cone on Hoffman, you having a conversation with Billy Bragg??
4ck sake.
With your caveman views and vile attitudes, why the 4ck would BB
want to entertain the likes of you.

Only Hofmann would come running to brag about being effectively told to f*** off by Billy Bragg.

What a delicate little flower this guy is.
"Oh my heavens. What shall I ever do if someone I disagree with likes my music? Why it's almost as if I have no control over that."
Creep.

"I gave Billy Bragg my bestest bestest opinions about islamics and trannies and he blocked me. No clue why. But YOU are not the brightest."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom