NME: Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – The Libertines’ Gary Powell - Morrissey mentions (August 5, 2022)

Libertines' drummer talks about being blanked by Morrissey at Meltdown. Shyness isn't so nice?

Excerpt:

You’ve previously claimed Morrissey was rude to you during that Meltdown appearance. Did he ever apologise?

“No. He never spoke to me for the two days we did Meltdown. He came up onstage, spoke to everybody in the New York Dolls, and completely blanked me. At the meet and greet afterwards, he didn’t even look in my general direction. When [The Libertines] later did an NME photoshoot with Morrissey, I was stood next to him and he again didn’t talk to me – he spoke to everybody else in the band. The only thing he said to me was ‘Mexico’, grudgingly, and that’s because I asked where his ring was from. He showed his true colours and feelings towards me and it was a level of ignorance I can’t be bothered to deal with.”

Image posted by Malarkey:

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
The NME has spent 30 years calling him a racist.

And I'm almost sure Gash would like him to be a racist.

So, it's not entirely unsupported.
It is entirely unsupported. Of course, like I wrote if it was the other way round you'd come running with your clippings to prove how Morrissey is innocent. But all these does not surprise me one bit.

It is entirely unsupported. Of course, like I wrote if it was the other way round you'd come running with your clippings to prove how Morrissey is innocent. But all these does not surprise me one bit.

The NME's an online magazine.
Gash is anonymous.
I think they'll be fine.

The assumption is that the NME & Gash want to hint at it.

Although, true colours does echo the Guardian's Bigmouth article.

View attachment 83410
When someone calls you racist, what they are saying is ‘hmm, you actually have a point, and I don’t know how to answer it, so perhaps if I distract you by calling you a bigot we’ll both forget how enlightened your comment was’.

You think everyone is either a nazi, or racist, or working for the Russians. Get some help.

When someone calls you racist, what they are saying is ‘hmm, you actually have a point, and I don’t know how to answer it, so perhaps if I distract you by calling you a bigot we’ll both forget how enlightened your comment was’.
Really? Every time? Or is there a line drawn somewhere?

Libertines' drummer talks about being blanked by Morrissey at Meltdown. Shyness isn't so nice?

Excerpt:

You’ve previously claimed Morrissey was rude to you during that Meltdown appearance. Did he ever apologise?

“No. He never spoke to me for the two days we did Meltdown. He came up onstage, spoke to everybody in the New York Dolls, and completely blanked me. At the meet and greet afterwards, he didn’t even look in my general direction. When [The Libertines] later did an NME photoshoot with Morrissey, I was stood next to him and he again didn’t talk to me – he spoke to everybody else in the band. The only thing he said to me was ‘Mexico’, grudgingly, and that’s because I asked where his ring was from. He showed his true colours and feelings towards me and it was a level of ignorance I can’t be bothered to deal with.”

Image posted by Malarkey:

full

Related item:
He probably didn't want some hack suggesting he fancied you, he likes drummers.

Yet, he weirdly had no trouble talking to the people who were with Gary Powell. Selective social anxiety/shyness? What say you?
Social anxiety/shyness is selective. That's precisely the very nature of it. Perhaps you should research it before making ill-informed insinuations.

Last edited:
Really? Every time? Or is there a line drawn somewhere?
The word has become debased and meaningless. It's a political word - used to tar anyone who has the temerity to suggest that maybe mass immigration might have disadvantages for society as well as advantages.
Prejudice is a word that has meaning. It is an ugly thing. It can be found on the left and on the right. It knows all skin colours and all cultures.

The word has become debased and meaningless. It's a political word - used to tar anyone who has the temerity to suggest that maybe mass immigration might have disadvantages for society as well as advantages.
Prejudice is a word that has meaning. It is an ugly thing. It can be found on the left and on the right. It knows all skin colours and all cultures.
I agree. But you do admit that there is such a thing as racism?

I agree. But you do admit that there is such a thing as racism?
No. Racism is an abstract noun. We should avoid reifying abstract nouns.
I don't believe that using words like racism, or sexism, or homophobia, or Islamophobia or transphobia, and all the other cornucopia of isms and phobias, is meaningful or helpful.
Do I think that individual actions can be viewed as discriminatory and based on prejudice - of course. Do I think that history is littered with acts of great cruelty and savagery - of that there is no doubt.

No. Racism is an abstract noun. We should avoid reifying abstract nouns.
I don't believe that using words like racism, or sexism, or homophobia, or Islamophobia or transphobia, and all the other cornucopia of isms and phobias, is meaningful or helpful.
Do I think that individual actions can be viewed as discriminatory and based on prejudice - of course. Do I think that history is littered with acts of great cruelty and savagery - of that there is no doubt.
So you would prefer to say “racial prejudice” or “racial discrimination” rather than racism?

So you would prefer to say “racial prejudice” or “racial discrimination” rather than racism?
As the scientific consensus is clear that there is no such thing as 'race' - I'm not sure if 'racial' adds any of the meaning that you are seeking to add? Do I think there is a mysterious 'system' out there that is racist - no.

You think everyone is either a nazi, or racist, or working for the Russians. Get some help.

No. I think people who are consistently racist & clearly support far right policies are far right racists.

I also think people who are working for Russia are working for Russia.

Last edited:
As the scientific consensus is clear that there is no such thing as 'race' - I'm not sure if 'racial' adds any of the meaning that you are seeking to add? Do I think there is a mysterious 'system' out there that is racist - no.
So how would you phrase it? Because there is ethnically motivated discrimination and prejudice.

So how would you phrase it? Because there is ethnically motivated discrimination and prejudice.
I think you have proved my point. Of course some people can behave in that way. And it undoubtedly amounts to some of the lowest form of human behaviour. But calling someone or something 'racist' does not refer to ethnically motivated discrimination or prejudice. When journalists accuse Morrissey of being 'racist' they do not mean they think he has discriminated against someone based on their ethnicity. They mean he has said something that is at variance with their view of the world. They mean his beliefs are suspect. 'Racist' is imbued with a whole set of political assumptions based on identity politics - that there are groups in society who are oppressed by another group that has privilege and power. It is not enough to say that you are not racist. You have to say that you are anti-racist. In other words you have to say that you 'believe'. You believe in systemic racism and the original sin of white privilege. You believe that European and North American society is evil because it is based on colonialism and oppression - whilst ignoring the simple fact that this is the first civilization in history that has made slavery illegal and criminalised ethnically motivated discrimination.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom