NME: Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – The Libertines’ Gary Powell - Morrissey mentions (August 5, 2022)

Libertines' drummer talks about being blanked by Morrissey at Meltdown. Shyness isn't so nice?

Excerpt:

You’ve previously claimed Morrissey was rude to you during that Meltdown appearance. Did he ever apologise?

“No. He never spoke to me for the two days we did Meltdown. He came up onstage, spoke to everybody in the New York Dolls, and completely blanked me. At the meet and greet afterwards, he didn’t even look in my general direction. When [The Libertines] later did an NME photoshoot with Morrissey, I was stood next to him and he again didn’t talk to me – he spoke to everybody else in the band. The only thing he said to me was ‘Mexico’, grudgingly, and that’s because I asked where his ring was from. He showed his true colours and feelings towards me and it was a level of ignorance I can’t be bothered to deal with.”

Image posted by Malarkey:

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey is awkward and shy to the point of near-paralysis, that shouldn't be news to fans like the Libertines.

"I am writing this in the city of Barcelona where, many years ago, I discovered the American writer James Baldwin sitting alone and somewhat lost in the darkened lobby of one of the city's oldest hotels. Surprised at being inches away from such a great man, I froze in sheepish clumsiness, circled him eleven times, before I realized that he could not possibly have any interest in being approached by someone who had spent all 25 years of their life locked in an attic because too awful to look at. So, I did nothing, walked on, and shortly thereafter he was dead."

Yes, Morrissey has a track record of not talking to people. Like when he was introduced to Paul Simon and had nothing to say to him. It's probably due to social anxiety/shyness - something he has actually sung about many times.
i would have said paul why is elvis version of bridge over troubled waters so much better than yours.
paul simon is nasty wee character,saw a docu one night and he makes elton john look like an angel.

I thought Thelma Houston and M were good friends...
hes talking shit,ignore,where on here has it ever been stated that M and thelma never spoke,must be thinking of thelma from scooby doo.

I believe that bored’s comment was a wee joke.
if that was his idea of a joke then i dont fancy a night out with him,as funny as a trip to the dentist.

Moz has always had a problem with drummers. Mike Joyce, Spencer Cobrin and now this. When has he ever had a good word for a drummer?

Morrissey hand picked the band to play the meltdown festival plus support him at some shows, so clearly he was aware who he was.
Really? Most people can't name the drummer of some of their favorite bands. Do you know every band member in every band? If so then name the drummer of these bands without looking them up on the internet....

1. Gene-
2. Echobelly-
3. Suede-
4. Echo & The Bunnymen

How did you do? Answer key below...

1.JAMES, MATT 2. HENDERSON, ANDY 3. GILBERT, SIMON 4. DE FREITAS, PETE

Yes, Morrissey has a track record of not talking to people. Like when he was introduced to Paul Simon and had nothing to say to him. It's probably due to social anxiety/shyness - something he has actually sung about many times.
Yet, he weirdly had no trouble talking to the people who were with Gary Powell. Selective social anxiety/shyness? What say you?

Last edited:
Really? Most people can't name the drummer of some of their favorite bands. Do you know every band member in every band? If so then name the drummer of these bands without looking them up on the internet....

1. Gene-
2. Echobelly-
3. Suede-
4. Echo & The Bunnymen

How did you do? Answer key below...

1.JAMES, MATT 2. HENDERSON, ANDY 3. GILBERT, SIMON 4. DE FREITAS, PETE
STARR, RINGO for all 4?

Of course, the SHT magazine is going to now make it an f*ing cover story. Let it go guys. Don't you have anything else to write about? Go talk to Hamish Hawk instead of this crap.

It's been almost 20 years on and this guy did not forget Moz yet. The problem isn't Moz, I guess.

Trouble or no, he spoke to people who happened to be with Gary Powell. Why do you suppose he couldn't muster a difficult conversation with Mr. Powell? Go.

Except for one time, Gary never mentions himself initiating any conversation with Morrissey.

I don’t know what you’re getting at, are you trying to imply that Morrissey didn’t talk to him because of his skin color?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom