NME: Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – The Libertines’ Gary Powell - Morrissey mentions (August 5, 2022)

Libertines' drummer talks about being blanked by Morrissey at Meltdown. Shyness isn't so nice?

Excerpt:

You’ve previously claimed Morrissey was rude to you during that Meltdown appearance. Did he ever apologise?

“No. He never spoke to me for the two days we did Meltdown. He came up onstage, spoke to everybody in the New York Dolls, and completely blanked me. At the meet and greet afterwards, he didn’t even look in my general direction. When [The Libertines] later did an NME photoshoot with Morrissey, I was stood next to him and he again didn’t talk to me – he spoke to everybody else in the band. The only thing he said to me was ‘Mexico’, grudgingly, and that’s because I asked where his ring was from. He showed his true colours and feelings towards me and it was a level of ignorance I can’t be bothered to deal with.”

Image posted by Malarkey:

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
This you hoping he hates black people so much he can only say Mexico to them?

This may be the moment, doesn't look grudging:

pic157467.jpg

Last edited:
Photographs can be very deceiving and we're all (well, most of us on here..) biased in Morrissey's favour, but that honestly doesn't look like someone saying one word to another person, grudgingly. I can easily imagine it being awkward small talk, but that's something else.

Photographs can be very deceiving and we're all (well, most of us on here..) biased in Morrissey's favour, but that honestly doesn't look like someone saying one word to another person, grudgingly. I can easily imagine it being awkward small talk, but that's something else.

If ya read the article, there's a lot of things that
Gary don't remember to well.

There are a lot of reports of him being awkward, silent or not present. It seems part of his personality, and not related to race, gender or any other marker.

Plus his reputation lends itself to confirmation bias, and will distort people's memories, and they may want to please the music press.

The NME went out of print for a reason because it’s had its day and is irrelevant… cattle-prodding on Morrissey and race issues forever 🥱

It annoys me - even if the worst happened in 2017 (& I'm not convinced it has) - their original accusations are complete bunk. In 2004 he'd done nothing wrong.

Last edited:
If I remember, he didn’t speak to Doherty (because he was a smack rat) and Doherty said he’d bop him on the nose or something similar. He seemed to empathise with a Barratt though.

Plus, Franz Ferdinand met him and did shots as part of the NME heroes edition and they seemed to be fine with him and he praised them saying they were everything you wanted in a band and music.

More woke shit

there was a story on here a long time ago where M was at a party and there was a person from a heavy metal group and M tried to stike up a conversation with him and he blanked him so it probably happens all the time when theirs egos involved.

Ignorance of what exactly? 🙄 Was he supposed to acknowledge this guy just cause he’s black or something? Maybe he didn’t know who that guy was and was familiar with everyone else for all we know.

There are a lot of reports of him being awkward, silent or not present. It seems part of his personality, and not related to race, gender or any other marker.

Plus his reputation lends itself to confirmation bias, and will distort people's memories, and they may want to please the music press.
I'm sorry, I believe Gary. Morrissey has a bad track record and gets no benefit of the doubt.

Who is Gary from the Libertines? Yes, from the photo they are engaged in a conversation. I love how MOST people think...well so and so didn't talk to me???? DID YOU TALK TO THEM??????? Is it written somewhere that Morrissey is supposed to talk with every person in the room? Get off the cross Gary someone needs the wood!

I'm sorry, I believe Gary. Morrissey has a bad track record and gets no benefit of the doubt.
Yes, Morrissey has a track record of not talking to people. Like when he was introduced to Paul Simon and had nothing to say to him. It's probably due to social anxiety/shyness - something he has actually sung about many, many times.

Last edited:
Yes, Morrissey has a track record of not talking to people. Like when he was introduced to Paul Simon and had nothing to say to him. It's probably due to social anxiety/shyness - something he has actually sung about many times.
He also ignored Mick Jagger (back in the Smiths days) and, according to Autobiog, regretted it big time. So he does have a track record, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom