NME: Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – The Libertines’ Gary Powell - Morrissey mentions (August 5, 2022)

Libertines' drummer talks about being blanked by Morrissey at Meltdown. Shyness isn't so nice?

Excerpt:

You’ve previously claimed Morrissey was rude to you during that Meltdown appearance. Did he ever apologise?

“No. He never spoke to me for the two days we did Meltdown. He came up onstage, spoke to everybody in the New York Dolls, and completely blanked me. At the meet and greet afterwards, he didn’t even look in my general direction. When [The Libertines] later did an NME photoshoot with Morrissey, I was stood next to him and he again didn’t talk to me – he spoke to everybody else in the band. The only thing he said to me was ‘Mexico’, grudgingly, and that’s because I asked where his ring was from. He showed his true colours and feelings towards me and it was a level of ignorance I can’t be bothered to deal with.”

Image posted by Malarkey:

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I believe Gary. Morrissey has a bad track record and gets no benefit of the doubt.

Accumulated mythology isn't a track record.

And the only anecdotal evidence is undermined by a photograph & Gary slagging him off for being against jingoism in 2012.

Is all this directly related to the other Powell piece (linked above in the OP), almost 10 years ago to the day? Has he still not got over being "ignored" after all this time? :rolleyes:

Breaking news! A singer who spent some 40 years singing about all his troubles when it comes to establishing a connection with other people did not talk much with another musician!
Someone should tell this guy: "He has been recording the apology since you were 13 years old!".

Well, firstly I think the point is he spoke to all the others but not him.

So that would suggest he has no issue talking to people - just the this guy

However, I think this is a is crap.

I think he just had nothing to say to the guy.

That simple.

He also didn't want to shake hands with Pete D (can you blame him?)

The NME are wankers

Who is Gary from the Libertines? Yes, from the photo they are engaged in a conversation. I love how MOST people think...well so and so didn't talk to me???? DID YOU TALK TO THEM??????? Is it written somewhere that Morrissey is supposed to talk with every person in the room? Get off the cross Gary someone needs the wood!
Perfect!!!!!!!ja jaja:laughing:

He allegedly once blanked Tom Hanks too. I wonder what this dude's point is?

But please, who knows this guy? Gary?, This happened a long time ago and just now seems to return with the stupidity of Morrissey's racism. It's not long before he sing in England and they want to slander by putting this story that happened with a black person. For Moz the important ones were the dolls. In addition Moz is not characterized by starting conversations, but when the guy asked him Moz answered
It is so obvious that this publication is made for some bolu to say Morrissey is racist !!! Oh and for an old acquaintance of this place to start with the usual comments Morrissey is racist. Can you imagine who I mean, right?

Yes, Morrissey has a track record of not talking to people. Like when he was introduced to Paul Simon and had nothing to say to him. It's probably due to social anxiety/shyness - something he has actually sung about many times.
But Paul Simon knows black people so of course Morrissey isn't going to talk to him. He also never talked to Thelma Houston. It makes her performance amazing when you learn he wouldn't even tell her the lyrics she was supposed to sing.

there was a story on here a long time ago where M was at a party and there was a person from a heavy metal group and M tried to stike up a conversation with him and he blanked him so it probably happens all the time when theirs egos involved.
It was Rob Halford. Morrissey asked if he knew where to get vegan whips and Rob was embarrassed.

Well, the guy should know what Morrissey thinks of drummers.

He allegedly once blanked Tom Hanks too. I wonder what this dude's point is?
In his book he says that he didn't know who he was and neither did anyone around him. Allegedly Hanks just stood there, said a few words and thought it was getting waaayy to awkward and just left. I mean it's weird that Morrissey knows every little B-list and C-list actor in history but doesn't know Tom Hanks but when you consider that it was around 91 and 92 (before Green Mile, Forest Gump, Sleepless in Seattle etc.) it's understandable. Guess Morrissey wasn't a big fan of... Big.

Well, firstly I think the point is he spoke to all the others but not him.

So that would suggest he has no issue talking to people - just the this guy

However, I think this is a is crap.

I think he just had nothing to say to the guy.

That simple.

He also didn't want to shake hands with Pete D (can you blame him?)

The NME are wankers
Or the guy might be a dick?

Ignorance of what exactly? 🙄 Was he supposed to acknowledge this guy just cause he’s black or something? Maybe he didn’t know who that guy was and was familiar with everyone else for all we know.
Morrissey hand picked the band to play the meltdown festival plus support him at some shows, so clearly he was aware who he was.

This you hoping he hates black people so much he can only say Mexico to them?

This may be the moment, doesn't look grudging:

View attachment 83361
Neither Gary Powell nor the journalist suggest that being blanked was anything to do with the colour of his skin. Mr Powell does clearly think it was intentional on Morrissey's part, and for that reason calls him a wazzock. My guess is it was just Moz being socially awkward and painfully shy. It is a common human assumption to think that the world revolves around us. Psychologists even have a name for it. It explains why people believe in astrology, or think that if they wear a particular colour of socks, their football team will win. This is all just Mr Powell demonstrating a very common human thinking pattern - it's all about me.
I do have to say though. The first Libertines' album - absolute classic!

But Paul Simon knows black people so of course Morrissey isn't going to talk to him. He also never talked to Thelma Houston. It makes her performance amazing when you learn he wouldn't even tell her the lyrics she was supposed to sing.
I thought Thelma Houston and M were good friends...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom