NME: Blossoms on how they “hugged it out” with Johnny Marr after Smiths covers band fall-out

NME interview about the fallout from the Rick Astley/Blossoms cover project:

“We knocked on his dressing room door and said, ‘Look… We probably should have told you, but we were just too scared.’
“How do you turn around to one of your heroes and go, ‘I’m starting a covers band with Rick Astley playing your songs?’ There’s no easy way to say that. Even the most f***ing confident person in the world would struggle to say that. He was like, ‘It’s water under the bridge – let’s hug it out’.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/blos...SiWBcYqinqoVztftBOmWnmaxKL36HfIq9guV6Y0b_WSf8

“We knocked on his dressing room door and said, ‘Look… We probably should have told you, but we were just too scared.’
“How do you turn around to one of your heroes and go, ‘I’m starting a covers band with Rick Astley playing your songs?’ There’s no easy way to say that. Even the most f***ing confident person in the world would struggle to say that. He was like, ‘It’s water under the bridge – let’s hug it out’.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/blos...SiWBcYqinqoVztftBOmWnmaxKL36HfIq9guV6Y0b_WSf8
Has Rick Astley been in the music business since his late 80's heyday?

Has Rick Astley been in the music business since his late 80's heyday?
Yes.... I hated him then ... but now I realise his voice and more importantly his northern sense of humour.

Oh to God Rick A. has a horrible voice, he can sing well, but just because he sings well doesn't mean he's good, R.A. sings like with a potato in his mouth, horrible voice I never liked. No one like my Moz is the best. Now I discovered a singer I love from a band called Beirut, which I like!, but far from my Moz, but the Beirut guy is good!!!!

Hate to say it, but Johnny was right when he described the Astley Blossoms thing as …

‘…. both funny and horrible at the same time"
I can totally get Johnny's reaction. On the one hand, anyone wanting to cover your material is some kind of honour, but hearing it's Rick Astley is a bit like hearing it's going to be David Hasselhoff or The Cheeky Girls: a bit of a joke. I appreciate that Rick has spent decades trying to escape his image, but for a large chunk of us he will always be the Stock/Aitken/Waterman 80's cheesefest 'Never Gonna Give You Up' guy.

I can totally get Johnny's reaction. On the one hand, anyone wanting to cover your material is some kind of honour, but hearing it's Rick Astley is a bit like hearing it's going to be David Hasselhoff or The Cheeky Girls: a bit of a joke. I appreciate that Rick has spent decades trying to escape his image, but for a large chunk of us he will always be the Stock/Aitken/Waterman 80's cheesefest 'Never Gonna Give You Up' guy.
For all its supposed crimes, ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’ is a better song than anything on Marr’s turgid, workmanlike solo albums...

Get with it Louise 🙄
Carlis, don't be contemptuous, . My name is not Luisa I know you are from England and I from Argentina.... but my name is Lujan and it has no English translation, and I don't like Rick A., I consider his voice really ugly, it's a matter of taste

In my country Rick As.. it was considered to be a bad and very commercial music, horrible.Listen to the Beirut singer, it's good

"At the time Marr gave her verdict on the covers"? Waiting for the NME exclusive on that one.

I fail to see why they felt they had to apologize to that ego maniac, narcissist.

Last edited:
Carlis, don't be contemptuous, . My name is not Luisa I know you are from England and I from Argentina.... but my name is Lujan and it has no English translation, and I don't like Rick A., I consider his voice really ugly, it's a matter of taste
Lujan (a beautiful name, btw)…he just called himself ‘a sound poet’….don’t worry, self-awareness unfortunately for him doesn’t flow endlessly from a bottle of Coors.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom