NME at it again - "All the band reunions we don’t want to see happen"

it seems NME is at it again.

The Smiths

An obvious one, yes, but for good reason. The Smiths’ break-up was particularly messy – they had already parted ways before the release of their fourth album, 1987’s ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’, amid a toxic atmosphere that included Morrissey running out of the studio as soon as he was done recording and Johnny Marr saying he “didn’t form a group to perform Cilla Black songs”. But the aftermath was even messier: a bitter royalties dispute, decades of barbed words exchanged as well as the band members’ increasingly divergent political views (Marr recently responded to reunion rumours by wryly suggesting they get “Nigel Farage on guitar.”)

Why it would suck: Marr may have been joking about Farage on guitar, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see Anne Marie Waters in the crowd if this nightmare did occur. The Smiths originally split because Morrissey and Marr had differences creatively, but now they’re just two completely different people. It’s a no from us

Last edited by a moderator:
The Smiths originally split because Morrissey and Marr had differences creatively
Hmm, there was a bit more to it than that, not least that Marr got burned out having to effectively manage the band whilst having to tolerate Morrissey's increasingly unreasonable behaviour.

Hmm, there was a bit more to it than that, not least that Marr got burned out having to effectively manage the band whilst having to tolerate Morrissey's increasingly unreasonable behaviour.

Morrissey? Unreasonable? Well, I never.

The important thing to remember is: look how much he's learned and changed. *clears throat*

or his drinking and drug use. Coke makes everyone more reasonable and not paranoid at all

Yeah. Pointless.

Also, what exactly are these increasingly divergent political views? Marr says next to nothing & goes with mainstream Labour (as far as I can tell). Moz has concerns about the impact of militant Islamism on animals, women & gay people. Macron made a speech the other day echoing those concerns. It's not as fringe (on the left & right) as it was.

Anne Marie remains a terrible politician though. She should make up with the ex-Muslim crowd & go work for a pressure group or a NGO. If one will hire her.

*edited because I annoyed myself by using the word crowd twice. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who actually cares about this anymore, the bullshit, truth, and suspicions, it's been done to death hasn't it?

the singing ?
was⛹️‍♂️ out of the Smiths by Moz for
his lame guitar playing and for not
wanting to carry the bags. NME is fake news
provided likely by a Skinny email?‍♂️

I agree, leave it where it is...in the past.
Fond memories, plus the extensive back catalogue, would likely be better than an ill-judged, or forced reunion. It just wouldn't be the same, leaving many, possibly, disappointed with the outcome.

NME as well as HMV will be gone very soon. I'm looking to move to Tenerife. England as I knew it is well and truly dead.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom