NME are unbelievably biased

The NME doesn't mind that Liam Gallagher was photographed grabbing his partner around the throat during an argument. And the NME doesn't mind that Liam Gallagher sent threatening messages to his sister-in-law, via his niece.

@ All singers everywhere Strangle and threaten to your hearts content. Maybe the NME will put you at the top of their A list playlist. Just don't wear a badge, ffs!

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/whats-new-on-nme-audio-2338872

NME was one of the most homophobic and hateful magazines out there back in the late 80's and early 90's. They had journos whose only job was to write shit about gay bands like Kitchens of Distinction and make sure they never had any chart success.

That was real homophobia and not some invented homophobia like we see today, It was journos who never listened to the music but wrote crap articles to hurt the band simply cause the band members were gay.

Real homophobia and racism is rare but you find racism among bouncers who are instructed by club owners to not allow non whites in.

Victims of real homophobia and real racism suffers when people invent fake stories for political gain.

The NME always had that smell and aura of a uni students fanzine and negativity and envy was always a huge part of that paper. Really silly things they wrote when you look back. People basically bought it for the ads and to check in on upcoming gigs and where to get tickets before internet happened.

As an American the NME was mostly useless full of bands who were being called the next big thing but who would usually disappear after their second single. Most of the bands I liked were already known in America but you could find more interviews with them in English papers. And they also had more of the semi-underground bands that were "critics favorites" in the US but not massively popular like Sonic Youth. But usually when I would rad about some band that was supposed to be great and I would buy their tape it sucked.
I hate Happy Mondays. This is all old information because I have not really bough music magazines since the 90's except on a few occasions. I like Uncut because they will have really in-depth articles and specials about specific records.

As an American the NME was mostly useless full of bands who were being called the next big thing but who would usually disappear after their second single. Most of the bands I liked were already known in America but you could find more interviews with them in English papers. And they also had more of the semi-underground bands that were "critics favorites" in the US but not massively popular like Sonic Youth. But usually when I would rad about some band that was supposed to be great and I would buy their tape it sucked.
I hate Happy Mondays. This is all old information because I have not really bough music magazines since the 90's except on a few occasions. I like Uncut because they will have really in-depth articles and specials about specific records.
I listened to Happy Mondays but cannot call me a fan or anything but I think the thing with them is that they did what they wanted and turned themselves into a comedy act you just wanted more from. They had tunes that got stuck on your mind and of course them being into United like me it was natural for me to get into it too.

I must say the people I knew over there were all a bit like Shaun Ryder and Bez. Unlike so many others in music those guys were real. Americans have never understood english music and never will and that goes for The Smiths and Morrissey not that I ever separate the two.

American culture is retarded and you can never bring together americans and the english when it comes to music. But every american band that made it was looking to England.

NME was one of the most homophobic and hateful magazines out there back in the late 80's and early 90's. They had journos whose only job was to write shit about gay bands like Kitchens of Distinction and make sure they never had any chart success.

That was real homophobia and not some invented homophobia like we see today, It was journos who never listened to the music but wrote crap articles to hurt the band simply cause the band members were gay.

Real homophobia and racism is rare but you find racism among bouncers who are instructed by club owners to not allow non whites in.

Victims of real homophobia and real racism suffers when people invent fake stories for political gain.

Well, the NME had Steven Wells on there........he was about as right on as you could get.

The NME always had that smell and aura of a uni students fanzine and negativity and envy was always a huge part of that paper. Really silly things they wrote when you look back. People basically bought it for the ads and to check in on upcoming gigs and where to get tickets before internet happened.

People also bought it to discover new bands and read the reviews. It was a good read. All the bitching just made it more fun. I loved getting it then. Used to read it on my building site at the time. Highlight of the day.

Last edited:
I listened to Happy Mondays but cannot call me a fan or anything but I think the thing with them is that they did what they wanted and turned themselves into a comedy act you just wanted more from. They had tunes that got stuck on your mind and of course them being into United like me it was natural for me to get into it too.

I must say the people I knew over there were all a bit like Shaun Ryder and Bez. Unlike so many others in music those guys were real. Americans have never understood english music and never will and that goes for The Smiths and Morrissey not that I ever separate the two.

American culture is retarded and you can never bring together americans and the english when it comes to music. But every american band that made it was looking to England.
Bez should make a solo record where he is just shaking the maracas for forty minutes.
It is weird how a lot of the good American music had to be sold to Americans by the English.
I sort of agree. Most of my favorite bands are English and a lot of the American ones become sort of embarrassing. A long time ago I really liked Aerosmith, for example. But they were definitely proving your point about taking from the English. Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones are what most bands tried to be for a long time.
Most of the American bands that I still like and that seem to not take from the English probably do but it's more subtle. And they're usually led by people that are also visual artists or connected to the arts in general. The Cars, Talking Heads, Blondie, and bands like that from the "New Wave" period are more American I think. And Velvet Underground and others from what turned into punk. I think the New York Dolls wanted to be the Rolling Stones, though.

Bez should make a solo record where he is just shaking the maracas for forty minutes.
It is weird how a lot of the good American music had to be sold to Americans by the English.
I sort of agree. Most of my favorite bands are English and a lot of the American ones become sort of embarrassing. A long time ago I really liked Aerosmith, for example. But they were definitely proving your point about taking from the English. Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones are what most bands tried to be for a long time.
Most of the American bands that I still like and that seem to not take from the English probably do but it's more subtle. And they're usually led by people that are also visual artists or connected to the arts in general. The Cars, Talking Heads, Blondie, and bands like that from the "New Wave" period are more American I think. And Velvet Underground and others from what turned into punk. I think the New York Dolls wanted to be the Rolling Stones, though.
The music you talk about makes me feel young cause I've never listened to them unless forced to at some job when the radio was on. We had a huge nerdy Aerosmith fan at Volvo in the early 90's that did nothing but talk about them at his work station with this older colleague who was kind of taking the piss without the Aerosmith fan noticing it.

I stood there in my Smiths and Moz tees and listened to them going on about it. I worked with a old dude not long from retirement who had a cheap wig on that in no way disguised the fact he was bald and him and his friends who were probably all single went to Thailand back then to have sex with young women.

Wig man claimed his friends did that but not him but he was always on about sexy women and in every way looked like a pervert in a coat and nothing on under. But he was at least funny.

Volvo takes the price for housing the weirdest employees and not least Håkan who hated music and used a unshielded scissor to cut off the electrical chord on radios if he didn't like music and he seemed to hate all music.

He spent some time in some mental asylum and cycled around for miles and made his own buns with his sister. He was a genius turned madman who invented so many things for Volvo his every paycheck came with a huge bonus.

He more or less lived in the suggestion box where you posted your suggestion for improvements. The guy was of rocket science quality but he could in no way work around people.

I used him to get the sack cause I just find that mental asylum a bit too much. He thought he had me sacked and was so proud of it and I played annoyed and left through the door jumping and singing.

You need to be smart in this world to get your wish.

People also bought it to discover new bands and read the reviews. It was a good read. All the bitching just made it more fun. I loved it getting it then. Used to read it on my building site at the time. Highlight of the day.
Sure it had moments and I subscribed to it or bought it from the Cure fan girl in the kiosk as we looked at each other like cat and dog me wearing Moz tees and her in the Disintegration tee.

But it was perhaps too studenty if I can put it that way or so I see it now anyway. Reviews are always wrong of course so bad review always meant it was great and vice versa. Same with films not that reviews matter at all cause they never understood artistic freedom.

The Happy Mondays were never great or anything but completely unique and got away with murder. That Manchester swagger and all that like they could not care less. But that was never an act and people back then were like that.

I've met more people like Hooky than I can remember as one example. Morrissey and his personality was like a sore thumb sticking out around those parts and always will be.

Sure it had moments and I subscribed to it or bought it from the Cure fan girl in the kiosk as we looked at each other like cat and dog me wearing Moz tees and her in the Disintegration tee.

But it was perhaps too studenty if I can put it that way or so I see it now anyway. Reviews are always wrong of course so bad review always meant it was great and vice versa. Same with films not that reviews matter at all cause they never understood artistic freedom.

It was one of the few outlets we had, outside of John Peel and fanzines, so i enjoyed it. Stopped getting it after the Britpop era and moved onto the monthlies.

It was one of the few outlets we had, outside of John Peel and fanzines, so i enjoyed it. Stopped getting it after the Britpop era and moved onto the monthlies.
Dunno how long I bothered with it but I ended up reading it only now and then sometime in the 90's. It was great for getting phone numbers to book tickets in London. Calling those cute little indie girls on the phone and breathe my details to hear them giggle.

"oh Sweden come over and do me".

As an American the NME was mostly useless full of bands who were being called the next big thing but who would usually disappear after their second single. ... But usually when I would rad about some band that was supposed to be great and I would buy their tape it sucked.

Agreed. I still want my money back for that Flowered Up single.

Back
Top Bottom