NME: “Johnny Marr gives his verdict on Blossoms and Rick Astley’s Smiths Covers Band” (September 17, 2021)

Not sure whether Johnny is keen on this or not, he seems pissed off that Blossoms never mentioned it to him when they met a few weeks ago - Well, I met The Blossoms a few weeks ago and they elected to not mention it. Nice.

NME article kindly supplied by @This Charming Bowie:

(2 separate discussions merged).

Related items:

Not sure whether Johnny is keen on this or not, he seems pissed off that Blossoms never mentioned it to him when they met a few weeks ago - Well, I met The Blossoms a few weeks ago and they elected to not mention it. Nice.

Judging by Johnny’s reaction he’s not happy about another band going on the road playing his songs thus making money and gaining adulation. Could this trigger a reunion? In all seriousness it’s one thing to do a cover but to hold two gigs playing exclusively smiths songs seems abit dodgy, especially if they only met him recently and forgot to mention it

Don't have strong views on this, for or against, but interesting that Marr is pissed off.
I'm no music snob but I do think Astley's voice sounds pretty horrible on This Charming Man, (e.g. when he holds on to the notes for too long). Hopefully it'll sound better on the slower songs.
Astley has enjoyed a lot of success recently, selling around half a million copies of his last two albums in the UK so he's in a totally different commercial league to Morrissey, and therefore obviously isn't doing this for the money.

so Surface, do you still think Johnny will want to make a guest appearance and play guitar? Lol.

FINALLY ! ....

NO MORE MR NICE GUY

You go Marr !!! :rock::guitar::cool:

Judging by Johnny’s reaction he’s not happy about another band going on the road playing his songs thus making money and gaining adulation.

I wonder if it’s really about the money and adulation. Marr may just see it as it is, ‘funny’, as in ironic, and at the same time ‘horrible’ because he may see those songs as being ruined by Rick’s interpretation. Maybe he doesn’t think of Rick as real artist deserving to cover those songs.

And on top of that, he seems pissed off that the Blossoms kept it a secret from him.

a bond of trust has been abused...’

I wonder if it’s really about the money and adulation. Marr may just see it as it is, ‘funny’, as in ironic, and at the same time ‘horrible’ because he may see those songs as being ruined by Rick’s interpretation. Maybe he doesn’t think of Rick as real artist deserving to cover those songs.

And on top of that, he seems pissed off that the Blossoms kept it a secret from him.

a bond of trust has been abused...’
They probably didn’t want to see it plastered all over Twitter or some such before they’d checked it was OK with Rick Astley. They’re cool like that, Blossoms.

They probably didn’t want to see it plastered all over Twitter or some such before they’d checked it was OK with Rick Astley. They’re cool like that, Blossoms.

What do you mean ?

Did Rick not yet know that he was going to be the singer?

Or you think Rick even at that point
wasn’t sure he wanted to be involved?

Or they didn’t think Rick would be happy with the free publicity, especially publicity from Marr himself ?

so Surface, do you still think Johnny will want to make a guest appearance and play guitar? Lol.

FINALLY ! ....

NO MORE MR NICE GUY

You go Marr !!! :rock::guitar::cool:
My guess is that he’ll come round. It might even be a massive red-herring.

My guess is that he’ll come round. It might even be a massive red-herring.

Maybe. I mean, if the price is right.

Or, he may feel he can save some of the songs and inject a little dignity back into the whole affair.

What do you mean ?

Did Rick not yet know that he was going to be the singer?

Or you think Rick even at that point
wasn’t sure he wanted to be involved?

Or they didn’t think Rick would be happy with the free publicity, especially publicity from Marr himself ?
It was a joke—targeting your silly idea that Blossoms’ loyalty should be to Marr.

Their loyalties and trust should clearly be with Rick Astley (surely soon to be known as Rick Ghastley in a memo to Sam) the artist they are collaborating with. And the person who’d likely asked them to keep it all quiet until he’d green lighted it.

It was a joke—targeting your silly idea that Blossoms’ loyalty should be to Marr.

Nothing at all ‘silly’ about the idea of loyalty between an up and coming
pop band (that will probably soon be forgotten) and a guitar icon like Marr that most likely inspired them to even make music at all in the first place. Loyalty, respect, etc yes.
Their loyalties and trust should clearly be with Rick Astley the artist they are collaborating with.
Loyalty between business partners, yes sure.
And the person who’d likely asked them to keep it all quiet until he’d green lighted it.

Why do you think Rick would be hesitant about doing it ? And just two weeks before the shows? It seems like a dream of his for a while now to be in a Smiths tribute band.

pop band (that will probably soon be forgotten) and a guitar icon like Marr that most likely inspired them to even make music at all in the first place. Loyalty, respect, etc

Why do you think Rick would be hesitant about doing it ? And just two weeks before the shows? It seems like a dream of his for a while now to be in a Smiths tribute band.
Well I’m not in their circle, so I have no idea. But surely you can accept that there would likely be some commitment to secrecy that would exclude everyone else, including (possibly) Johnny Marr—who (in truth) is probably much more interested in a certain film out the same week anyway.

pop band (that will probably soon be forgotten) and a guitar icon like Marr that most likely inspired them to even make music at all in the first place. Loyalty, respect, etc yes.

Don't they they will be soon forgotten Ketamine, 2 number 1 albums already, sold out the MEN for tomorrow night, a massive gig in their hometown next weekend and next year they are the main support for The Killers on their UK stadium tour, so quite a solid few years ahead of them in my opinion

But surely you can accept that there would likely be some commitment to secrecy that would exclude everyone else, including (possibly) Johnny Marr

No, I see your point of view. But I’m with Marr on this one, and I can imagine that he took it as disrespectful and/or just plain weird.

—who (in truth) is probably much more interested in a certain film out the same week.

So you think that Marr may be fearing that the Smiths tribute shows will overshadow the publicity of the film?

Don't they they will be soon forgotten Ketamine, 2 number 1 albums already, sold out the MEN for tomorrow night, a massive gig in their hometown next weekend and next year they are the main support for The Killers on their UK stadium tour, so quite a solid few years ahead of them in my opinion

Yeah just our opinions here. I hope they do well, doesn’t matter to me. So many bands come and go, regardless of how many records/tickets they once sold.

No, I see your point of view. But I’m with Marr on this one, and I can imagine that he took it as disrespectful and/or just plain weird.

So you think that Marr may be fearing that the Smiths tribute shows will overshadow the publicity of the film?
He will (to some extent) be more interested in the film I expect. And he’ll probably have some limited publicity commitments with Hans Zimmer (premiers?), that same week.

I guess if he is really offended, an understandable reason would be that it’s in the same week that he’s likely to have James Bond related media work. And in the moment he wants to talk about Vic Flick, he now knows he’ll be asked about Rick Astley. Which clearly might be irritating.

Tags
blossoms johnny marr nme rick astley smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom