Nine Inch Nails To Tour With Jane's Addiction

morrisseychic

Seasick Yet Still Docked
February 16, 2009 07:49 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Nine Inch Nails will tour later this year with the reunited Jane's Addiction, NIN frontman Trent Reznor wrote in a post on the band's Web site.

Although he stopped short of saying the band was going on something more than a hiatus, Reznor confirmed these will be the last NIN shows for some time, and that they will be "much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted" compared to last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour. "It's time to make NIN disappear for a while," he said.

Dates have not yet been announced, but Reznor says the tour will take the bands "across the globe."

The pairing with Jane's Addiction was inspired by NIN's stint on the maiden Lollapalooza tour in 1991, which was headlined by Jane's. The band broke up for the first time shortly thereafter, only to reunite minus original bassist Eric Avery in 1997 and again in 2001.

"These performances essentially created and defined the term 'alternative' rock in the U.S., created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really f*cking FUN to play and attend -- truly the best times I've had," Reznor wrote.

Of late, Reznor has been in the studio with Jane's, which has played a handful of intimate L.A. club shows in the past few months with Avery, but has yet to announce a full-scale reunion tour. In fact, the band is playing tonight (Feb. 16) at the Echoplex. The intent of the studio sessions is unclear from his post.

"Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting," he wrote. "We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first-hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room."

Reps for both acts were unavailable for comment at deadline.

I never listened to Jane's Addiction, but I may give them a try to see if I want to try to make one of these shows.

I was a little sad to read Trent's post regarding the uncertain future of his band. When I was an angry, confused young boy I played NIN endlessly. They were the band that "rescued" me from the crap I was listening to before I found them (I won't bother naming names). I pretty much owe the sum of my taste in music to NIN, one way or another.

If this is the end of the nails, they had a hell of a run (if a little sporadic). I'm just glad I got to see them on the excellent Lights In The Sky tour.

I went with my brother to the first Lollapalooza to see a lot of bands that I didn't really know anything about. Jane's absolutely blew me away.....we ended up buying tickets for the 2nd show and went the next day. The following day I went out and bought a bunch of CDs by all the artists who played....NIN, Rollins, Living Colour, Siouxsie....those bands were fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom