Nine Horses Die at Cheltenham

Musley

wild and free
Nine horses died at Cheltenham this week. How can this be allowed to happen in our so called animal loving country?

D: how did they die?

I learnt today that 90,000 people in the UK became newly and unintentionally homeless last year, that adults in the poorest fifth of the population are around twice as likely to be at risk of developing a mental illness as those on average incomes, and that children are now one and a third times more likely to live in low income households as adults. So excuse me for not caring about 9 dead horses in Cheltenham.

Coiff.

I learnt today that 90,000 people in the UK became newly and unintentionally homeless last year, that adults in the poorest fifth of the population are around twice as likely to be at risk of developing a mental illness as those on average incomes, and that children are now one and a third times more likely to live in low income households as adults. So excuse me for not caring about 9 dead horses in Cheltenham.

Coiff.

Prepare for a bombardment of hate for caring about human issues above animals.

I'm all for helping animals and I support (some) animal rights organizations, but on the other hand, I think that we need to sort ourselves out before we can really be of any assistance towards anyone else.

Prepare for a bombardment of hate for caring about human issues above animals.

I'm all for helping animals and I support (some) animal rights organizations, but on the other hand, I think that we need to sort ourselves out before we can really be of any assistance towards anyone else.

Don't worry, I'm all tooled up to take on the terrorists :p

It baffles me how people prioritise animal rights above human ones. All over the world, even in our own, supposedly 'civilised' democracies, colossal injustices are perpetrated on one homo sapiens by another. But hey, that's small fish compared to race horses, or the f***ing seal hunt. Obviously I think that should be banned, so do 98% of the population, I'm just not gonna waste my breath on such trivia when I see far worse atrocities against my own kind.

Coiff.

Don't worry, I'm all tooled up to take on the terrorists :p

It baffles me how people prioritise animal rights above human ones. All over the world, even in our own, supposedly 'civilised' democracies, colossal injustices are perpetrated on one homo sapiens by another. But hey, that's small fish compared to race horses, or the f***ing seal hunt. Obviously I think that should be banned, so do 98% of the population, I'm just not gonna waste my breath on such trivia when I see far worse atrocities against my own kind.

Coiff.

Locked and Loaded.

All you have to do is shoot at the trees. They are usually behind them hugging the trunks.

Coiff.

Scary numbers, I agree. However, issues like these have to be tackled simultaneously. Young people learn to be cruel by seeing cruelty towards animals, and if they're desensitized to animals' suffering, it's easier for them to become desensitized to human suffering too.

Coiff.

I live on a very low income and have mental illness that doesn't however not stop me caring for these poor creatures. I honestly thought Morrissey fans would be much more caring. Wrong!

Don't feel bad about not understanding. It is possible to care about animals and people.

I think ofcourse that humans are way more important than animals.After all I'm a mother!

However i think a society is judged by how it treats its children,its old people and its animals.

If you can treat an animal ,a less intelligent human-dependent animal bad then it holds little hope for the human race.To treat animals bad is the lowest of the low.

Coiff.

Well if you are that concerned about the above, why dont you re-post it as a topic in it's own right for people to discuss, or was it just an exercise in point scoring? Seeing as you haven't already done so, I can only assume your interest in the above is of not much importance to you as is the death of 9 horses.

The post doesn't say '9 horses die, this is the most important statistic to make news today and I demand that this issue is put in the highest order by the government and acted on now over any other issue'.

It just said 9 horses died at a horse recing festival and makes comment on
the issue.

The horses died for human profit. The deaths - like those in the Grand National - are very quietly 'hushed up' in the media.:mad:

Jukebox Jury

Well if you are that concerned about the above, why dont you re-post it as a topic in it's own right for people to discuss, or was it just an exercise in point scoring? Seeing as you haven't already done so, I can only assume your interest in the above is of not much importance to you as is the death of 9 horses.

The post doesn't say '9 horses die, this is the most important statistic to make news today and I demand that this issue is put in the highest order by the government and acted on now over any other issue'.

the issue.

The horses died for human profit. The deaths - like those in the Grand National - are very quietly 'hushed up' in the media.:mad:

Jukebox Jury

I totally agree with you, it's a complete crock to come in here and say 'but what about this...' when it's nothing to do with that. If you don't care about the horses, bugger off and talk about something else.

People are really getting on my nerves on this site lately.

The horse thing is upsetting. I can't watch horse racing, when they got over it is just horrific.

'National Hunt' Horses - (the ones that jump fences and hurdles) are bred to jump. 99% of them are from a family line of jumpers.. it's what they do. These horses are well looked after - they have a daily swim, water therapy, physio, top quality feed, etc. These horses weigh about the same as a family car, and have very fragile legs compared to their body frames.. therefore serious injury is inevitable.
These horses die every week of the year on British racecourses - but it is only ever reported after high-profile meetings take place... and there follows a public outcry.
However, the fact that thousands of horses a year (many ex-racehorses) are slaughtered for food in countries like France seems to get conveniently overlooked by the public.

the issue.

Jukebox Jury

I totally agree with you, it's a complete crock to come in here and say 'but what about this...' when it's nothing to do with that. If you don't care about the horses, bugger off and talk about something else.

People are really getting on my nerves on this site lately.

The horse thing is upsetting. I can't watch horse racing, when they got over it is just horrific.

Have you read the following thread?
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=84883

Easier said than done. :p

Back
Top Bottom