Nick Cave on Morrissey - new issue of the Red Hand Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2019.

By Anonymous on Jun 28, 2019 at 12:51 PM
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nick Cave on Morrissey - The Red Hand Files - Issue #48

Excerpt:

Open debate and conversation are the very structure of civilisation, and in Nottingham it was a privilege to be challenged by this very thoughtful young man. However, even though I was unsatisfied by my own response, I still believe that despite how upsetting Morrissey’s views may be to the marginalised and dispossessed members of society, or anyone else for that matter, he still should have the freedom to express his views, just as others should have the freedom to challenge them – even if just to know in what guise their enemy may appear. The charge that defending a person’s right to their opinions somehow aligns one with their views makes no sense at all and strikes at the heart of the problem itself – that of conflating the concept of free speech with bigotry. This is very dangerous territory indeed.

...Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I don’t see anywhere where you have addressed the holocaust denial point or the BNP racists point regarding For Britain. Feel free to explain how that is justified. Before you try to blame media lies for that I was at their conference and heard and saw it myself and beyond belief how someone could support that party knowing those views.
    2. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun

‘..and beyond belief how someone could support that party knowing those views.’

And how do you know that he knows ‘those views’?

And no, you actually asked ... ‘ You didn’t comment on my point re asking people to vote for a far right party which invites holocaust deniers to speak at its conference. Any view on that?’

And yes I already answered your question, please reread all my posts.
    3. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      He knows those views believe me. I know for sure of at least 4 people who have told him and it is widely known and publicised. If you were going to tell people to vote for a party you would at least look them up on google and do a little research. It isn’t hidden. A tiny bit of research will find documented links to the banned terrorist group National Action and Anne Marie Waters talks at several ugly far right organisations such as Generation Identity whose aims include the removal of all “non European stock” from the Uk through assisted repatriation back to their country of birth regardless of war zones. This is out there and not hard to find. If you think for one minute that Morrissey isn’t aware of the controversy behind For Britain and their links to holocaust deniers and racist extreme groups then you really don’t credit him with much intelligence at all.
    4. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      He doesn’t know those views

:cool:

believe me

:rolleyes:
    5. pretorius
    6. vegan cro spirit 555
      vegan cro spirit 555
      WTF????

didnt you cleanse the block where you live FFS? because of the problem created by the black dudes and lazy black lady librarians?o_O
      Went ballistic because a black dude had a boombox in a shopping cart while smoking meth? Did you help him by giving him money or eliminate using the nazi way him with a fake air gun?:straightface: