Nick Cave on Morrissey - new issue of the Red Hand Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2019.

By Anonymous on Jun 28, 2019 at 12:51 PM
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nick Cave on Morrissey - The Red Hand Files - Issue #48

Excerpt:

Open debate and conversation are the very structure of civilisation, and in Nottingham it was a privilege to be challenged by this very thoughtful young man. However, even though I was unsatisfied by my own response, I still believe that despite how upsetting Morrissey’s views may be to the marginalised and dispossessed members of society, or anyone else for that matter, he still should have the freedom to express his views, just as others should have the freedom to challenge them – even if just to know in what guise their enemy may appear. The charge that defending a person’s right to their opinions somehow aligns one with their views makes no sense at all and strikes at the heart of the problem itself – that of conflating the concept of free speech with bigotry. This is very dangerous territory indeed.

...Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2019.

1. drag me down
      drag me down
      I feel a bit like Stannis Baratheon from Game Of Thrones. I'm able to see the absurdity of life but when it comes to sharing it with anyone else, I'm left bereft. I've slowly lost all sense of mirth and I didn't see it coming. I do like your style though. Youre direct approach to people is refreshing.
    2. ThePoliticalRevolution
      ThePoliticalRevolution

I'm very stylish. You'll be fine. Plenty of rest. Some sun. Call me whenever.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Emotional Guide Dog
      Emotional Guide Dog
      That seemed like a very long winded way of saying that Morrissey is a knobhead but he's got some good tunes.
    4. reelfountain
      reelfountain
      Sounded okay until the last sentence when he mentioned "people falling prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems".

Because no way is Morrissey into Islam.
      • Funny Funny x 3
    5. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I just read all his lyrics. Nope, sorry loser you're completely wrong & you're not the Ringleader of the Tastetesters either. FACT.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Anonymous
      Anonymous

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    7. Oh my
      Oh my
      It is interesting to click the link and read the whole article... If you only read the quote posted here, it really sounds as if Nick Cave really hates Morrissey.
      If you read the whole article, it is very much the opposite, he seems to admire him.
      • Like Like x 3
    8. Harsh Truth
      Harsh Truth
      That’s not how freedom of speech works! Yes, you can say whatever you like. But if a person or entity has an issue with it, they are entitled to respond to it.

Problem is, this is where Morrissey usually breaks down. As opposed to coming back with an intelligent response to legitimately debate the issue or to defend his position, he turns into a 14 year old and cries “everyone is against me!” as he slams his bedroom door.
      • Like Like x 2
    9. FantiQ
      FantiQ
      I get bored by nick cave and his naive posturing romanticism. Locking oneself in a room and pretending it’s 1956 still with William Burroughs and Charles Bukowski. Tom Waits does this too. Have the courage to live in the present and have something to say about it.
      • Like Like x 3
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    10. Pokey
      Pokey
      No I don’t think i missed the point. My point is there are people here who don’t even like the music. They’re just here purely to shit on Morrissey and his views over and over and that’s it. And the music doesn’t even matter. Nick very much says the music should matter. If you don’t like the music and you don’t like the man then what’s the point?

There is some research that suggests people are slightly biased towards their own race on an instinctual level. Not sure that goes as far as “prefer”. But it’s not entirely inaccurate. I said I don’t really agree with most of what he said but it honestly isn’t that bad. People are taking what he says and blow it up. Is he saying he thinks the concentration camps on America’s southern border are a good thing? People just will not let this point go. He could probably be considered left wing on most other things - women’s rights, LGBTQI support, animal rights etc. He differs a bit on his stance of border protection and people lose their shit and he’s literally called Hitleresque things here at times. If people can’t tolerate anyone whose views differ from their own in any way then god help you living and adjusting to the outside world where you have no control over that stuff.
      • Like Like x 2
    11. countthree
      countthree

Sure, in the same way you don't have to agree on everything with the person you love. Eventually, if the disagreement is too unbeareable you walk away. But respecting the other person's point of view is the minimum respect all human beings deserve as thinking beings. Respect also involves not insulting nor belittling that person for his/her opinions.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Pokey
      Pokey
      Yep thats pretty much my whole point. That’s all everyone seems to do here. At some point, if the level of discomfort you have for someone’s views overrides your ability to tolerate them as a person (or in this case also tolerate/enjoy their music) then surely the best thing to do is to walk away? People being critical of what he says is fine unto itself but I get the feeling it’s the only reason why a lot of people are here. You have posts made that are about the music or the tour and people just drag it back, every thread, to the same old thing. It makes it hard to respect or appreciate their points because I don’t really believe they even care that much about the points they’re making. They just want to rant and rave and sound tough on the internet and annoy people. Not to mention the ones who are clearly doing it based on old grudges from this websites history.

I feel like there’s a real difference between those who are probably genuinely heartbroken over Morrissey’s statements. And those who absolutely are revelling in it. no doubt there are people here who LOVE when Morrissey says something right of centre. And its not because they love what he is saying. Those are the people I don’t have a lot respect for their views because I think they’re empty and meaningless. In their own way they undermine their supposed argument by not caring about the issues themselves but just using them as a way to trash talk Morrissey.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    13. drag me down
      drag me down
      I've had a look at my pistachios and there's no added salt, but they still taste salty to me.
    14. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Yep. You said it. Wearing a stab-proof vest. The sound of modern Britain indeed. The white middle class Guardian readers in the crowd must have felt so dangerous - like when they drive through Tottenham in daddy's Porsch. Welcome to your brave new world...
      • Insightful Insightful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Whizz Kid
      Whizz Kid
      I don't think it's been mentioned here, but Nick Cave and Johnny Marr share a manager. What if, unlike Morrissey's manager, who poured gasoline on a dumpster fire, Johnny's manager is seeking to mitigate the damage done? If so, smart move. Nick Cave writes eloquently about the art and does not defend what Morrissey has said.
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      No. You equated racist hate speech and paedophilia apologists to speech advocating gay rights and trans rights. You really don't get what you did there, do you, you goose stepping fascist thug.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    17. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      You have claustrophobia issues and you feel you mix with people superficially. I think you may need to go talk to someone professional because you have signs of mental health issues and I hope you find some help.
    18. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      you do come out with Wierd statements. Shyness doesn’t relate to poverty. Wanting to be alone isn’t related to shyness. It isn’t what shyness is. And how do you know anything about whether I have been poor or not? I can assure you I know exactly what that is like but has nothing to do with shyness and a shy person doesn’t broadcast to the world.
    19. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I agree people bringing up hitler are being stupid but you are doing the opposite and belittling what he is saying. I don’t have any kind of bias to my own race and actually prefer the Cultures of other races to my own but everyone is different. To state that everyone prefers their own race is the very definition of racism. It is a dictionary definition. Also telling people to vote for a racist party that consists of ex BNP members and holocaust deniers whose only agenda is an anti Islam agenda is horrific. If you can’t see that then there is no hope. Nick Cave describes his views as oppressive and dangerous.
    20. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Morrissey and Nick are actually both very similar in the devotion and loyalty that their audiences display. I’ve seen Morrissey plenty of times, and I have seen the Bad Seeds quite a bit too, and they both have that natural command over the crowd at their live performances. Both really rely on their audiences and and vice versa, and it’s a similar sense of rapture and adulation that is present in their live performances. There’s very few performers that can naturally create that kind of fervour.
      • Like Like x 2