Nick Cave on Morrissey - new issue of the Red Hand Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2019.

By Anonymous on Jun 28, 2019 at 12:51 PM
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nick Cave on Morrissey - The Red Hand Files - Issue #48

Excerpt:

Open debate and conversation are the very structure of civilisation, and in Nottingham it was a privilege to be challenged by this very thoughtful young man. However, even though I was unsatisfied by my own response, I still believe that despite how upsetting Morrissey’s views may be to the marginalised and dispossessed members of society, or anyone else for that matter, he still should have the freedom to express his views, just as others should have the freedom to challenge them – even if just to know in what guise their enemy may appear. The charge that defending a person’s right to their opinions somehow aligns one with their views makes no sense at all and strikes at the heart of the problem itself – that of conflating the concept of free speech with bigotry. This is very dangerous territory indeed.

...Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
    • Insightful Insightful x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2019.

1. A scanty bit of thing
      A scanty bit of thing
      Well I know you did. Which would mean you thought they grow salty on trees.

That is why inquiring minds wanted to know!
    2. drag me down
      drag me down
      Morrissey and anyone is quite entitled not to want anything to do with anyone else. It's called shyness. It's called not throwing your arms around all and sundry. I don't want to share myself too much with the people I already know, so why I'm going to wrap my arms around anyone else, I don't know. People generally do not like other people. We had an exercise at work on racism. It turned out that I was racist along with the majority of the class. I'm racist but I'm not going to cause a hooha when an asian sits next to me on the bus. I don't discriminate.
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    3. The Truth
      The Truth
      He said the other day that the burden of his thoughts on watching "the destruction of the white race" make him very sad.
      Do you want a biscuit for behaving yourself like a sane person in public? They're probably no happier having to sit next to you.
    4. drag me down
      drag me down
      I've never advocated violence against anyone. All I'm saying is that I have mental issues and I suffer from claustrophobia. It stands to reason that I don't want the place I live in to become even more crowded. There are 25million people living in the vast place that is called Australia. There are 66million of us living on this small island.
    5. Anonymous
      Anonymous

In your dreams loser
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      What’s shyness got to do with telling people how to vote and making political broadcasts on his own website? Funny sense of shyness
    7. Bluebirds
      Bluebirds
      Stormzy owning Glastonbury at the moment. Excellent headlining show.

The sound of modern Britain
    8. The Truth
      The Truth
      Who said violence though? Is that what you mean by "causing a hooha?"
      I am sorry you suffer. I can understand how your personal issues and your viewpoint may exacerbate each other but I don't think it gives you a pass. I hope you are working on it. Good luck.
    9. drag me down
      drag me down
      All this business about me not getting on with people of other races is ludicrous. I accept it because its the world I live in. Am I going to go in a bar and decline a drink because it doesn't cater to my 'own kind'? No. All I'm saying is for people, especially politicians, to stop telling me to love everybody unconditionally. Not going to happen. I'm two faced. I mix with everybody on a superficial level. I don't have to love them and I don't have to like them.
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    10. nozmuppet
      nozmuppet
      Why would anyone listen, to flaky pop stars when they get into social politics. The man in question being articulate in written form and song.
      But it has been a good few years and he still pussy foots, on what his views are on coloured immigration.
      Whether he equates Halal (Kocha) with animal cruelty and terrorism.
      Stopping Muslims coming to the UK, would terrorism cease.
      British culture declining in some parts of the country, be it white flight, consumerism, lack of religious faith, family breakdown, multiculturalism, social mobility.
      We all have our personal views about this, except an older Morrissey expresses his thoughts clumsily in the media.
      Free speach works both way, you just can't shut each other down.
      When music journalists review California Son, base it on the quality of the music, nothing else.
      When the Guardian, Independent, NME vilify Moz its clear their is an agenda, addressing Morrissey's views on the whole is lacking because the journalism is weak.
    11. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      No, not my dreams. Fact. Read the lyrics to anything on Skeleton Tree, Push the Sky Away, etc., etc., and then read the lyrics to anything on LIHS, WPINOYB, etc., and the tell me who's dreaming; I could go on. Cave's only really had one stinker in the last 20 years, and that's Nocturama. You might not like the Bad Seeds music, but to try and say Morrissey has been writing better songs the last few decades just means you don't have taste.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. drag me down
      drag me down
      I guess until you've not had the experience of being poor at any given time, and how your very existence depends on needing to be left alone to do your own thing, you'll never 'get it'.
    13. drag me down
      drag me down
      It's like a party I never wanted to be invited to. The high fliers will mix with everyone and tell you how good it is... and I just want to go home.
    14. ThePoliticalRevolution
      ThePoliticalRevolution

You are always welcome to come hang out in my room. I got snacks. You will have a blast.
      • Funny Funny x 2
    15. drag me down
      drag me down
      New sense of relief Political. I'm a free man again. Got through my period of bad attendance at work and now looking forward to a week off. Of course, my bad attendance was down to mental health issues. I never said that though. It was always a cold or a virus or domestic emergencies. Never would I admit to them that I was mentally ill!
    16. ThePoliticalRevolution
      ThePoliticalRevolution
      Ok. You just lemme know what you need honey cus I'm a political revolutionary by day and Morrissey (Solo!) resident social worker by moonlight. I have solutions.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    17. drag me down
      drag me down
      I need a good friend.
    18. ThePoliticalRevolution
      ThePoliticalRevolution
      I told you. I AM RIGHT HERE!
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. drag me down
      drag me down
      Whether I deserve one is another matter! I always remember what someone said about friendship being a conspiracy of two!
    20. ThePoliticalRevolution
      ThePoliticalRevolution
      Oh, I don't ask for anything in return. I feel very privileged and blessed in my life. So. like you know lets hang out.
      • Funny Funny x 1