Newark, NJ - New Jersey Performing Arts Center (Dec. 1, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / First Of The Gang To Die / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Rebels Without Applause / I Am Veronica / The Bullfighter Dies / Jim Jim Falls / Girlfriend In A Coma / The Loop / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Irish Blood, English Heart / Half A Person / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / Saint In A Stained Glass Window / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @FROSTY

Last edited:
I enjoyed some of the lyrical changes he made to Meat Is Murder seven years ago; the most memorable of which was the immortal: “Ham, lamb, kebab, spam…MURDER!”

I thought with that list of meat products it was going to lead into an alternative "These are a few of my favorite things"
(Can't get the tune out of my head now)

When we saw Morrissey at Kings Theater a few years ago, Morrissey did How Soon Is Now and he sang "You see I've already waited too long...and most of my life is GONE" and it just killed us. Me and my girlfriend both actually teared up. It was really intense. Great lyrical change.

The Show. Morrissey was great. The interior of the venue was magnificent. His alternate lyrics and banter were superb.

Security, both on and off the stage were violent jackasses, jack booted thugs all jacked up like they were auditioning to be a big badass across the river in Gotham. I miss Arturo.

This one kid in front of me waved his hands in front of me for every big name song so I could see and record little. Luckily, he’d heard of nothing made after 2000 so he calmed down from time to time. All the other fans were fantastico.

Sadly, Newark was as bad as people say and I can find beauty in almost any town. I’m from Baltimore. Nothing was open. Getting a cab, bus, Uber or Lyft was a heavy lift. The “after party” was at a horrible bar that you couldn’t believe a place could be this wretched and yet so close to Manhattan. I took one look and walked the hell out. Little did I know my Uber was an hour away. Later, I fed a homeless woman half of my pizza in front of the hotel.

That said, I’d gladly do it all over again for the wonderful Wizard of Moz.

Apologies for the videos. I get overexcited when in the presence of greatness.

Bonus footage:
I found the Washington DC 2019 show opener on my phone 3 long years later.

Attachments

• 5A956E87-7B4D-4A91-AB25-A8C52AEBDB63.jpeg
    5A956E87-7B4D-4A91-AB25-A8C52AEBDB63.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
The Show. Morrissey was great. The interior of the venue was magnificent. His alternate lyrics and banter were superb.

Security, both on and off the stage were violent jackasses, jack booted thugs all jacked up like they were auditioning to be a big badass across the river in Gotham. I miss Arturo.

This one kid in front of me waved his hands in front of me for every big name song so I could see and record little. Luckily, he’d heard of nothing made after 2000 so he calmed down from time to time. All the other fans were fantastico.

Sadly, Newark was as bad as people say and I can find beauty in almost any town. I’m from Baltimore. Nothing was open. Getting a cab, bus, Uber or Lyft was a heavy lift. The “after party” was at a horrible bar that you couldn’t believe a place could be this wretched and yet so close to Manhattan. I took one look and walked the hell out. Little did I know my Uber was an hour away. Later, I fed a homeless woman half of my pizza in front of the hotel.

That said, I’d gladly do it all over again for the wonderful Wizard of Moz.

Apologies for the videos. I get overexcited when in the presence of greatness.

Bonus footage:
I found the Washington DC 2019 show opener on my phone 3 long years later.

great review. Newark sounds ‘fun’ :lbf:

The Show. Morrissey was great. The interior of the venue was magnificent. His alternate lyrics and banter were superb....Apologies for the videos. I get overexcited when in the presence of greatness....
Thank you Baltimoz. Fantastic videos and a lovely report. When he mentions the venue after the first song, he adds that what he and the band are doing is art. Art is about being able to do, or look at things anew, and give viewers alternative perspectives; about reflecting overlooked angles. Is that about right?

Thank you Baltimoz. Fantastic videos and a lovely report. When he mentions the venue after the first song, he adds that what he and the band are doing is art. Art is about being able to do, or look at things anew, and give viewers alternative perspectives; about reflecting overlooked angles. Is that about right?
I agree 100% and he said as much in the interview with Fiona. Avant Garde can’t exist in a Land of Conformity.

I agree 100% and he said as much in the interview with Fiona. Avant Garde can’t exist in a Land of Conformity.
Thanks baltimoz.

Sorry surroundings seemed bleak for you after the show. I saw Morrissey at the Rams Head in Baltimore in 2007, as per post-show reports here - https://tour.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=07/10/30/1819209 He came on in a tuxedo, and the band in loincloths only! It was an eyeful, and a very merry occasion. Some blurry photos remain here https://www.flickr.com/photos/robjenga/sets/72157602823625826/ which just shows how spoiled we are these days.

If that too is art of sorts, theatre or situationalist or dada or other, then presumably, knowing his influences, what Morrissey did at Finsbury Park in 1992 was coming from an even more artistically-conceived place, which surprisingly I don't think has been mentioned much since?

It’s interesting, because every show when M tears his shirt off, the audiences give a loud cheer of approval. I guess there’s a lot of Farley fans at every show then? or not. Lol.

the contempt this man has for some of these songs will never not entertain me. to be singing the same songs for 30+ (40?) years must be something akin to serving life in prison. albeit surrounded by the finest things while doing so.

opening with 'how soon is now' and chanting "i am the scum, i am the scum of the earth." did a little hail mary interlude, then singing "she hates california because it's cold and damp, that's why the lady is a tramp, tramp, tramp." and shortly later variations of 'shut your mouth' and 'so you can shut your mouth' over and over was a very good indication in which direction the night was going.

a little ad lib of 'downtown' before hsin was funny ("don't hang around, and let your problems surround you, you could always go..." chords of hsin).

the mic cord whips were spectacular tonight. i was way down in the orchestra. i bet they looked even cooler from above. the photos above barely serve this venue justice. absolutely gorgeous. he acknowledged that it's the performing arts center, and this is art ("this, this, THIS, is art..." and chords of fotgtd kick in) which i thought was cute.

i found his voice to be a drop shakier tonight. he joked mid-show about using a throat spray called entertainer's secret, and that the only secret is that the entertainer has no talent! it's moments like those his brilliant wit is such a delight to witness.

i loved that he had frank sinatra as the backdrop during "our frank." i love these little nods he gives to the cities he visits along the tour.

overall, he was a lot less chatty tonight. a lot of "thank yous" and "i love yous" tonight. last night in brooklyn was something special, there's no disputing that. tonight while still very good was just a little off despite this gorgeous venue, very happy crowd, and excellent performances from the band.

for anyone keeping track - i was able to swap my medium for a small. thank you to the kind merch staff to help me do so.

very happy and grateful to have seen him twice in as many nights. this has been missing from my life for six years, and is the salve for this soul.
I enjoyed this thank you.
He has had Frank as a backdrop for Our Frank a few times now. Not sure he did it just for the city. I don't mean to be a party pooper.
The comment kind of reminded me of when someone said M did Sweet And Tender Hooligan as last song, as a mark of respect for the local gang bangers, in that particular town. This wasn't true M closed with that song, in various places.

oh god That is a gross still of M and his belly. f*** me sideways I will have nightmares.
why he thinks doing this at 60 is a good thing, I have no idea. Yes, people will rush for the shirt as they are die-hard fans the trouble is these pictures will be around way after he is and it looks stupid AF

oh god That is a gross still of M and his belly. f*** me sideways I will have nightmares.
why he thinks doing this at 60 is a good thing, I have no idea. Yes, people will rush for the shirt as they are die-hard fans the trouble is these pictures will be around way after he is and it looks stupid AF
^ Bird shit!

He looks like a million other ordinary middle-aged men. As for after he has gone, well - the Morrissey most people will remember is this one. He will be absolutely fine.

Attachments

• 3abcdb03a8c390d6bb08f6aae3f8ec34-e1609861144968.jpg
    3abcdb03a8c390d6bb08f6aae3f8ec34-e1609861144968.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • original.jpg
    original.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 0
  • glasses.jpg
    glasses.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0

Arrrrrgh MY EYES!!!!!! You know that Capitol Records is looking at that and cringing.

I agree. It’s a lit(lot)le embarrassing.

Remember the good days, when the bad days come a‘ calling. Them was some really good days.

Be safe and healthy all….

It is embarrassing. But just as the young, lithe Morrissey was exhibiting his body unashamedly saying "This is what I look like" - the old, saggy, rotund Moz is saying the same thing. He's trying to normalize what men look like, not for fetishizing (although some people probably do), but to make a stand against the beautiful people.

It is embarrassing. But just as the young, lithe Morrissey was exhibiting his body unashamedly saying "This is what I look like" - the old, saggy, rotund Moz is saying the same thing. He's trying to normalize what men look like, not for fetishizing (although some people probably do), but to make a stand against the beautiful people.

I think Morrissey looks good for his age. Leave him alone. He's a sweet guy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom