Newark, NJ - New Jersey Performing Arts Center (Dec. 1, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / First Of The Gang To Die / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Rebels Without Applause / I Am Veronica / The Bullfighter Dies / Jim Jim Falls / Girlfriend In A Coma / The Loop / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Irish Blood, English Heart / Half A Person / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / Saint In A Stained Glass Window / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of @FROSTY

Last edited:
he hates that song - and has for years is my impression, and to be fair, i do too. but it's either that or everyday is like sunday to keep the crowds coming. can't blame him. i pity him at times. it's a prison of his own brilliant making. imagine loving your new work but being compelled to sing the old? i love him whatever he chooses to sing, and adore him more for his sense of humor about it.
Please stop spewing your silly assumptions in this thread. Morrissey doesn't sing the old/Smiths songs that he doesn't like. Do you really think with his giant catalogue and his independent, headstrong character that he would sing How Soon Is Now ALL THE TIME if he hates it? Fans would still go to his shows if he didn't, and he knows it.

Morrissey has said multiple times that he only dislikes a very small number of songs in his catalogue. Are you calling him a liar, and if so, why would he lie? When he has spent his entire career going against the grain and being honest to a fault? Keep your delusions to yourself, please. What you've been saying is an insult to the man. The last thing he needs is your pity.

Whenever I hear the name of this place, I always think about the joke: «What did Miss Isippi give Miss Ouri for her birthday? A new jersey!»

Last edited:
That was not good to change the hsin. Lyrics. I don't like the bullfighter and the new give me rest , or whatever the song name is. It's the must depressive song. So far. Sing it to you in the shower Morrissey. I want to hear there is a light that NGO. And don't change. The f***ing ly
If you don't like depressing songs, I do wonder if you're a bit lost. (And btw the way "There is a light" is just as "depressing" as any other song 😭)

Before Bull Fighter Morrissey said if we don’t like the next song he will have to gauge our eyes out. He said something like I’m sorry but I’ll have to do it. And then he made eye gouging out motion. He was literally wacky tonight and I loved it 😍
Wacky Morrissey seems like good fun. Love everything I've heard and seen of this show. Look forward to the next one to see if the wackiness continues.

That was not good to change the hsin. Lyrics. I don't like the bullfighter and the new give me rest , or whatever the song name is. It's the must depressive song. So far. Sing it to you in the shower Morrissey. I want to hear there is a light that NGO. And don't change. The f***ing lyrics .

Morrissey's lyric changes in concert are one of the most fun things about seeing him live.

Downtown a capella in to Morrissey's Psalm 130:1-8 adaptation during HSIN? (changes in red):

Out from the depths I have cried to thee, O Lord.
Lord, hear my voice!
Let thine ears be attentive
to the voice of my supplications!

I am the scum
I am the scum
I am the scum & heir...

Then Hail Mary excerpt part way through...
More scum...

Then an altered Lady Is A Tramp lyric:

"She hates California, she said it's cold and it's damp. That's why, that's why the lady is a tramp, tramp, tramp."

Then an Irving Berlin variation:

Why don't you go where fashion fits...
Puttin' on the Ritz.
Puttin' on the Ritz.
Yeah, just go where fashion fits...
Puttin' on the Ritz.
Puttin' on the Ritz.

Then:

I am an animal!
Oh, shut your mouth,
Just shut your mouth,
And keep your mouth shut.
Because I am human and I need to be loved.
So, you can shut your mouth.

I am an animal.
I am so happy to be an animal.
I am an animal.
I am an animal.
So happy, so happy.

Possibly the most bonkers HSIN? and overall lyric alteration sung at any gig?
Regards,
FWD.
That's all his penance done now to absolve him of his imputed 'list of crimes' :wink:

I had to subject myself to listening to Eat Y-self Fitter by The Fall, the last track on a 2005 Festive 15 compilation album for Uncut by John Peel (not having a fast-forward function on my basic cd player) in order to get to Peel's closing comment, stating that he and John Waters are very fond of The Smiths and have noticed a strong spiritualist similarity between them and the Nightingales...

It wouldn't be hard to imagine several lyrics being inspired by psalms, which in turn have served to sustain many a tortured soul for thousands of years.

The word 'dirge' is often used to refer to some Smiths songs, which has very strong religious connotations as well.

As for the Ritz and fashion, well, is that the 21st century update? 👗

Videos at eight. Moz on at 8:30. I was grateful for the early night. I had a somewhat long drive. 😉
Thanks so much for letting me know. That does sound very fortunate. We were all all the way to Charlottesville Virginia on the weekend when the DC date was canceled. I’m pretty sure that I cursed myself because I had been bragging to my wife about how I had seen Morrissey solo 20 times and never had he canceled. It was her first and I suppose last attempt. Glad you got to see him.

Downtown a capella in to Morrissey's Psalm 130:1-8 adaptation during HSIN? (changes in red):

Out from the depths I have cried to thee, O Lord.
Lord, hear my voice!
Let thine ears be attentive
to the voice of my supplications!

I am the scum
I am the scum
I am the scum & heir...

Then Hail Mary excerpt part way through...
More scum...

Then an altered Lady Is A Tramp lyric:

"She hates California, she said it's cold and it's damp. That's why, that's why the lady is a tramp, tramp, tramp."

Then an Irving Berlin variation:

Why don't you go where fashion fits...
Puttin' on the Ritz.
Puttin' on the Ritz.
Yeah, just go where fashion fits...
Puttin' on the Ritz.
Puttin' on the Ritz.

Then:

I am an animal!
Oh, shut your mouth,
Just shut your mouth,
And keep your mouth shut.
Because I am human and I need to be loved.
So, you can shut your mouth.

I am an animal.
I am so happy to be an animal.
I am an animal.
I am an animal.
So happy, so happy.

Possibly the most bonkers HSIN? and overall lyric alteration sung at any gig?
Regards,
FWD.
@davidt can we get a 'bonkers' emoji added to reactions, please? :ahhh:

Amazing - he forgets the lyrics and we get Catholicism, self-loathing, show tunes and animals.

as only M can! :love:

though, I don’t believe he forgot the lyrics.
Whatever happened, it was wonderful!

wondering what brought it on, and how much if any was planned before hand?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for letting me know. That does sound very fortunate. We were all all the way to Charlottesville Virginia on the weekend when the DC date was canceled. I’m pretty sure that I cursed myself because I had been bragging to my wife about how I had seen Morrissey solo 20 times and never had he canceled. It was her first and I suppose last attempt. Glad you got to see him.
Wow! 20 times without a cancellation is almost unbelievable. I guess you were due… but I know that sting 🥲 I’m sorry for you and your wife, hope you both get a chance to see him sooner rather than later. I feel very grateful. I feel like I lucked out this tour 😊 At least we all have YouTube😉

Just got home from the show, very enjoyable. The new songs sound very good live. I’m still not sure what Morrissey was singing during the opener, “How Soon Is Now”. 😂
It was How soon is now V2, "You Shut your Mouth" 🤣

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom