New York, NY - Theatre at Madison Square Garden (Dec. 2, 2017) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Glamorous Glue / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / Speedway / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / The Bullfighter Dies / How Soon Is Now? / Hold On To Your Friends / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / Back On The Chain Gang / Spent The Day In Bed / When You Open Your Legs / Jack The Ripper / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Home Is A Question Mark / I'm Not Sorry // Suedehead / Shoplifters Of The World Unite

Setlist provided by docinwestchester.

• Morrissey Covers Pretenders, Honors David Cassidy & Takes Jab at Trump at NYC Show by Joe Lynch - Billboard. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Image posted by docinwestchester:

41626_newyork.jpg

Last edited:
I sure hope the band got a bonus check for having to wear those hideous jeans.

Never mind the jeans:

Why is Morrissey making his non-Vegan hirelings wear 'Animal Rights Militia' t-shirts?

How many of these 'musicians for hire' are Vegan Animal Rights activists when not 'best friends on the payroll'?

Why is Crank-Fraud Morrissey once again attempting to appropriate militant animal rights issues to spice up his insipid persona, given he is still wearing cashmere cardigans?

Does anyone have any details on the menu Morrissey mandated for the 'clueless consumer' cult drones (aka: 'fans') in attendance last night?

best wishes
BB

:rolleyes:

Are these photos a propaganda claim that Morrissey managed to 'sell out Madison Square Garden' in NYC on this tour? Really?

I may be wrong, but it looks as though he's played The Theatre which has an audience capacity of 5-8K for concerts if memory serves. Any claims that this gig was 'sold out' are entirely spurious as the number of tickets required to claim that status varies from 5-8k. Which was it?

Hasn't he played the main arena venue on previous tours? Is this a sign of his dwindling NYC base? It seems odd that he can nearly fill the LA Hollywood Bowl for 2 nights and sell well in the London market but not in New York. Or did he play the main arena at Madison? Low roof suggests it is indeed The Theatre not the main arena where Taylor Swift is playing with some friends at the I Heart Jingle Ball next Friday.

I note The Smiths Karaoke element of the gig was restricted to 3 songs, only one of which (HSIN) would have any effect on sales to casual punters. If it's true he's had to retreat to smaller NYC venues yet his Mozbots still claim he's a hot ticket in NYC, then that's *sad*. I guess if Morrissey wants to sell out the Madison arena rather than the 'theatre' he needs to re-vamp the setlist and play more of the songs he was 1/4 responsible for whilst a member of The Smiths radical art collective in the 1980s.

So, menu please. And clarification on venue....

best wishes
BrummieBoy

:rolleyes:

Are these photos a propaganda claim that Morrissey managed to 'sell out Madison Square Garden' in NYC on this tour? Really?

I may be wrong, but it looks as though he's played The Theatre which has an audience capacity of 5-8K for concerts if memory serves. Any claims that this gig was 'sold out' are entirely spurious as the number of tickets required to claim that status varies from 5-8k. Which was it?

Hasn't he played the main arena venue on previous tours? Is this a sign of his dwindling NYC base? It seems odd that he can nearly fill the LA Hollywood Bowl for 2 nights and sell well in the London market but not in New York. Or did he play the main arena at Madison? Low roof suggests it is indeed The Theatre not the main arena where Taylor Swift is playing with some friends at the I Heart Jingle Ball next Friday.

I note The Smiths Karaoke element of the gig was restricted to 3 songs, only one of which (HSIN) would have any effect on sales to casual punters. If it's true he's had to retreat to smaller NYC venues yet his Mozbots still claim he's a hot ticket in NYC, then that's *sad*. I guess if Morrissey wants to sell out the Madison arena rather than the 'theatre' he needs to re-vamp the setlist and play more of the songs he was 1/4 responsible for whilst a member of The Smiths radical art collective in the 1980s.

So, menu please. And clarification on venue....

best wishes
BrummieBoy

Yawn...

Never mind the jeans:

Why is Morrissey making his non-Vegan hirelings wear 'Animal Rights Militia' t-shirts?

How many of these 'musicians for hire' are Vegan Animal Rights activists when not 'best friends on the payroll'?

Why is Crank-Fraud Morrissey once again attempting to appropriate militant animal rights issues to spice up his insipid persona, given he is still wearing cashmere cardigans?

Does anyone have any details on the menu Morrissey mandated for the 'clueless consumer' cult drones (aka: 'fans') in attendance last night?

best wishes
BB

Can anyone who attended confirm whether or not 'hot dogs' were on sale in the venue foyer?

thanks
BB

'Looking for pre-theatre fare and drinks? Stop by The Theater at Madison Square Garden’s concession stand and bar, located in the Theater Lobby, or visit the Delta Sky360° Lounge, located by aisle A & B just before the theater doors.

At most events, popcorn, hot dogs, pretzels and candy are available for purchase as well as beer, wine and spirits.'

https://www.msg.com/the-theater-at-msg/food-drink

https://www.msg.com/premium-hospitality/delta-sky360-club-msg/#about-the-club

Babe, are you in NYC or UK? It's 8:30 am, watching MOTD whilst 'Mocking Morrissey'. Maybe you're tired after a sleepless night trying to get the horror of a Morrissey show out of your mind's eye. I feel for you, babe!
What about that England draw Brummie :D

What guitar picks does Jesse play? I found one on the way out tonight, and thought it might be his.

Yes with Mexi Can on the back I think

Thanks for posting - great videos.

Shame you missed the gig though

Jocky Scotland

This was my 24th Morrissey concert (starting with Liverpool way back in 1991) and it goes down as one of my favourites (hitherto fave in recent years was Port Chester 2013)! Perhaps it was the relatively small venue but I thought Morrissey's voice sounded as good as i'd heard in recent memory. The setlist worked with hardly any duffers, even some of the weaker songs (Bullfighter!) sounded good. Audience was really good with the usual rapture at the perennial favourites. Some funny improvs from Moz ("I grabbed you by the Heinz Baked beans").

Highlights:

- Not playing Meat is Murder and Ganglord - seriously, i love MIM but i've been hearing it at Moz concerts since the birth of time.

- HSIN, I Started Something...- the Smiths songs are always well received and always brilliant

- His new songs sounded really good (except for the lowlight mentioned below). I Wish You Lonely and Home is a Question Mark especially great.

- Jack The Ripper. Have heard live a few times, but it's just an astoundingly good song. How was this a B-side originally??? He should play more of his B-sides ("Nobody Loves Us" please)

Lowlights:

- Protect us from the police song - I actually prefer Ganglord, but i'd prefer neither were played.

- I wish he wouldn't mess with the chorus of Everyday Is Like Sunday. That's pretty sacred and it hurts audience participiation

- the Spanish interludes are kind of weird. I'm sort of used to it by now of course, I just don't really get it. No offence to Gustavo who is so good, it's just..misplaced somehow.

In the after party I ran into David Johansson from New York Dolls, Britt Daniel from Spoon and the kid from the cover of the new album. While Morrissey never comes to the parties, Boz was the only band member who showed.

His voice was spot on tonight.

If the kid from the cover was there, I bet his dad, Mando Lopez (bass) was also there!

he can drop 2 thirds of that set list for mine before coming back to England , all the wpinoyb and lihs stuff mainly, the album has bombed - no one wants to listen to the songs and future sales will be minimum no matter how many times you sing the tracks

MORRISSEY, I THINK I LOVE YOU !!!
:D

'I was sleeping and right in the middle of a good dream
Like all at once I wake up from something that keeps knocking at my brain
Before I go insane I hold my pillow to my head
And spring up in my bed screaming out the words I dread
I think I love you (I think I love you)'

:D

Last edited:
he can drop 2 thirds of that set list for mine before coming back to England , all the wpinoyb and lihs stuff mainly, the album has bombed - no one wants to listen to the songs and future sales will be minimum no matter how many times you sing the tracks
You have an easy decision then...just stay home.

The show was fantastic. Morrrissey wasn't super talkative but smiley throughout much of it. I thought the setlist(of course I could make a couple of tweaks;)) was very good. The mix of old, new, Smiths and covers all flowed nicely. I enjoyed hearing the new songs live for the first time, especially My Love and Home is a Question Mark. The theater was very full and the crowd seemed very into the show. I was in The GA section a few people back on the side and from what I saw the new songs were very well received and people seemed to know them. This show I also heard a number of songs I had never heard live, such as I Started Something and Hold onto Your Friends (maybe a long time ago) but those were both treats last night. Morrissey helped the female stage invader on stage and said something like 'you can make it'. It was sweet. Great night, I can't stop smiling!

Whoever is writing this is putting on a really good show this tour. Every concert night they deliver one in the same exact style and length, always anonymous, always specifically reflective, always positive, usually waiting about four or five posts. It’s very entertaining.
A stellar night, his voice filled the room and his presence was felt.
Been wanting to see him since Your Arsenal, not disappointed. Even the new LP songs I’m not in love with sounded perfect live.
Saw Blondie in the same space fifteen years ago, similarly a rapture tonight. Love ya Mozzer

Babe, are you in NYC or UK? It's 8:30 am, watching MOTD whilst 'Mocking Morrissey'. Maybe you're tired after a sleepless night trying to get the horror of a Morrissey show out of your mind's eye. I feel for you, babe!
I just read the first few lines of your post and suddenly came over all tired. I can't think why as it was a scintillating read, as always.

"Crankfraud...blah...blah...meat...cheese...blah...blah...flop...unsold tickets...blah...blah" .

Oops it's happened again, must go for a lie down. Night all.

...and Brummie, I love you...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom