New York Dolls Re-union

bosso20640

Any of you guys watch the programme that was on a couple of months back mainly following The New York Dolls getting together for the first time in nearly 30 years, all orchestrated by Morrissey. He brought the waring factions together despite all the bitterness that some of them had harboured against each other for years and years. Got me thinknig really, clearly the New York Dolls were a massive band for Morrissey and he can take credit for getting them back together. Ultimately would he ever practice what he preached and re-unite with his old pals- The Smiths?

Can't remember what channel it was but the one where they followed Arthur Kane. They got together , did the concert and then a few weeks later, he died

in answer to your question though, I suppose if Morrissey & Marr are stuck for a few bob in 30 years time then maybe.

Back to the Dolls though, I saw them play at the Move festival (orchestrated by Moz) in 2004.

I also saw them last year in Glasgow, bless 'em, well there's only 2 left. They still go down a storm though.

love

Grim

Any of you guys watch the programme that was on a couple of months back mainly following The New York Dolls getting together for the first time in nearly 30 years, all orchestrated by Morrissey. He brought the waring factions together despite all the bitterness that some of them had harboured against each other for years and years. Got me thinknig really, clearly the New York Dolls were a massive band for Morrissey and he can take credit for getting them back together. Ultimately would he ever practice what he preached and re-unite with his old pals- The Smiths?

It's clear that you need somebody from outside, who has studied all the pros and contras, knows your life better than you do, and what's the most important, can add all this into a complete picture. I cannot think of anybody who could be the one to The Smiths like Morrissey was to The New York Dolls.

It's clear that you need somebody from outside, who has studied all the pros and contras, knows your life better than you do, and what's the most important, can add all this into a complete picture. I cannot think of anybody who could be the one to The Smiths like Morrissey was to The New York Dolls.

That's an interesting idea. Who on earth would Moz respect enough to make that happen? The only celebrity who comes immediately to mind is Russell Brand, but he's not the one.

The thing is, the Dolls really didn't have much to lose. David Johansen was the one hold out, as well as the one they needed the most - a bit like Morrissey. Dolls reunions had been rumored for years, always with Johansen saying no thanks as he had moved on to a solo career. And while there was some jealousy and bitterness with the Dolls, there wasn't an ugly lawsuit.

Perhaps one day, Moz will meet that one Smiths fan that will remind him of himself and how much he loved the Dolls? I have to say, I am still very grateful for that - I never thought I would get to see any incarnation of the Dolls. :)

can i just say, Morrissey's recent new found love for bands like New York Dolls (I say new found because i didn't hear anything about them from morrissey in the 90s) really has dampened his recent sound. I wish he moved away from these influences. Sorry, it's just the way i feel.

I say this because New York Dolls suck. Why is morrissey a fan of that heroin addict. I remember when he opened for morrissey for the 5 night Apollo gig in NYC (That was the lead signer of New York Dolls..right?). I just laughed at him the entire time. It was the ugliest, the most dreadful performance i have seen in years. And morrissey seems to be currently influenced by this band.

don't get me wrong, there is some good recent stuff, but the songs have the same simple structure in music and lyrics.

Last edited:
can i just say, Morrissey's recent new found love for bands like New York Dolls (I say new found because i didn't hear anything about them from morrissey in the 90s) really has dampened his recent sound. I wish he moved away from these influences. Sorry, it's just the way i feel.

It's a re-found love, because around 1990 he had said that he liked this group in some early stages of his life and that he's glad it's over and he'd rather not remember that. Later on he looked at the case once more and it's a really different attitude.

I say this because New York Dolls suck. Why is morrissey a fan of that heroin addict. I remember when he opened for morrissey for the 5 night Apollo gig in NYC (That was the lead signer of New York Dolls..right?). I just laughed at him the entire time. It was the ugliest, the most dreadful performance i have seen in years. And morrissey seems to be currently influenced by this band.

don't get me wrong, there is some good recent stuff, but the songs have the same simple structure in music and lyrics.

recent? Hmmmn he saw them on tv back in the early 70's & fell in love with them, he wrote a book about them & set up a UK fan club all before he decided to become a Smith. He's constantly held up the Dolls as heroes in interviews, gigs etc. So not quite sure where you are coming from?

love

Grim

recent? Hmmmn he saw them on tv back in the early 70's & fell in love with them, he wrote a book about them & set up a UK fan club all before he decided to become a Smith. He's constantly held up the Dolls as heroes in interviews, gigs etc. So not quite sure where you are coming from?

love

Grim

recently he's been very vocal of them...during the 90s he didn't mention them. It's like i was a huge fan of REM back in the day. now for the past ten years not really...so-so....i just don't ever think about them. but 15 years from now i may start to talk about them again, all the time, and (if a musician) be influenced by their music.

That's where i think Morrissey is right now.

It's a re-found love, because around 1990 he had said that he liked this group in some early stages of his life and that he's glad it's over and he'd rather not remember that. Later on he looked at the case once more and it's a really different attitude.

thanks for backing me up. :D

I wish he forgot them again.

recently he's been very vocal of them...during the 90s he didn't mention them. It's like i was a huge fan of REM back in the day. now for the past ten years not really...so-so....i just don't ever think about them. but 15 years from now i may start to talk about them again, all the time, and (if a musician) be influenced by their music.

That's where i think Morrissey is right now.

I don't want to get in to a big arguement, it's obvious I really like the Dolls & that you don't, which is fair enough.

My final word is Trash, Morrissey did sing 'Trash' at some of his gigs in the 90's.

love

Grim

I don't want to get in to a big arguement, it's obvious I really like the Dolls & that you don't, which is fair enough.

My final word is Trash, Morrissey did sing 'Trash' at some of his gigs in the 90's.

love

Grim

Human being is a recent b side, thats a Dolls cover right? I recall last year he said something about the track and he then said " I have new york dolled you to death, I really can't help it"
Some guy behind me was shouting "Thank you!"
:D

That's pretty funny. Yeah, the Dolls are not everyone's cuppa. Much like Morrissey isn't - they just aren't mainstream.

I've mentioned this here somewhere before, but I first fell in love with Morrissey through the New York Dolls, rather than the other way around. I remember being very surprised that he didn't sound more like them! Funny thought that is now. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Johansen isn't a junkie. He's just really skinny because he's obsessed with yoga, health food and um, smoking.

That's pretty funny. Yeah, the Dolls are not everyone's cuppa. Much like Morrissey isn't - they just aren't mainstream.

I've mentioned this here somewhere before, but I first fell in love with Morrissey through the New York Dolls, rather than the other way around. I remember being very surprised that he didn't sound more like them! Funny thought that is now. :rolleyes:

I remember you saying that about getting into Morrissey through the New York Dolls, I thought at the time that it was brilliant. :)

That's an interesting idea. Who on earth would Moz respect enough to make that happen? The only celebrity who comes immediately to mind is Russell Brand, but he's not the one.

The thing is, the Dolls really didn't have much to lose. David Johansen was the one hold out, as well as the one they needed the most - a bit like Morrissey. Dolls reunions had been rumored for years, always with Johansen saying no thanks as he had moved on to a solo career. And while there was some jealousy and bitterness with the Dolls, there wasn't an ugly lawsuit.

Perhaps one day, Moz will meet that one Smiths fan that will remind him of himself and how much he loved the Dolls? I have to say, I am still very grateful for that - I never thought I would get to see any incarnation of the Dolls. :)

How about Noel Gallagher, who is clearly an admirere of The Smiths/ Morrissey and a Mancunian, do you think Morrissey has enough respect for him??

How about Noel Gallagher, who is clearly an admirere of The Smiths/ Morrissey and a Mancunian, do you think Morrissey has enough respect for him??

I don't know, but that's an excellent idea. I love hearing Noel talk about his love of Morrissey and The Smiths. Like Moz, he's a true music fan at heart.

I think much more time would have to pass before Moz would consider it, but I hope I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom