New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden (June 27, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Istanbul / Will Never Marry / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // Now My Heart Is Full

setlist provided by Amsden

Last edited:
Blondie opening for Moz was the highlight so far of this 2015 Snooze Tour.

What a sad state of affairs.

I wonder how many record company executives where at MSG and thinking while they listened to World Peace: "Oh My God, I need to re-release this shit. It's awesome!"

youre right. i really really hope he starts tailoring his musical expression for record execs. he should start focus grouping his music and asking fans what they want to hear and just record that. the career comes first

A bit squished down front, but a lovely night in general. While I'm preferential to the older stuff & Smiths material, can't say enough about how great his voice was and the energy the band brought by & large. Here are some videos I got of both Morrissey & Blondie.

One Way Or Another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBd2yUtvgs

The Tide Is High
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0YGF_z2Gk

The Queen Is Dead (apologies for not getting in focus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZs4PsXa9w

Ganglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NORancuUcJQ

Every Day Is Like Sunday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzLuHrBRcy4

I Will See You In Far Off Places
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C72r58Br0T4

What She Said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kickko9BMuI

Now My Heart Is Full
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFsJsWsefuc

Excellent videos. Would you be interested in contributing to a 2 camera DVD with dubbed audio that I'm putting together?

I sent you a PM on YouTube.

Or you can register here and PM me here.

Thanks!

Giving MSG a bit more thought: part of the issue (for me anyway) was the contrast between Morrissey and Blondie. Blondie were joyous: it was pride weekend, and everyone was in a celebratory mood. They made MSG a big party (Clem Burke, their drummer, really pulled out all the stops). Everyone was having a wonderful time - it was all very lighthearted. When Blondie brought out that brass band I was thinking that Morrissey was going to have an unexpected uphill climb.

Then: on comes Morrissey - so serious, and so dark. Songs of lament, political hectoring and suicide. His tone is so often one of bombast and despair. The contrast that night was especially stark.

Of course: Morrissey can frame himself any way he wants to - he has great breadth as well as depth (and he's very funny). he could have put together a more upbeat set and sent everyone home smiling. That is seldom his intent, however.

As for Bill Maher and Morrissey - they are two peas in a pod: both PETA activists, both bull-headed, opinionated, acerbic, offensive, hilarious, insightful, occasionally wrong-headed and entertaining in turn. Both shoot their mouths off, grab headlines, and often go too far. The main difference is that Maher has a strong grasp of politics (and sometimes gets involved), while Morrissey is far less informed (and wisely stays out of it).

Morrissey championed Jon Stewart for President years ago, and I think it's still a wonderful pipe dream. Perhaps with Maher as VP...

You forgot one key diffrence between moz and maher. Maher is evil and harbors opinions that makes you weep for mankind. Any good cause he might support gets killed by the horrible opinions he harbors. He has the right to utter his opinions freely but i would still like to see him ducktaped around the mouth. Morrissey might have peta and other things in common, but is not a rascist and nazi-like as maher. I despise maher. he should have been drowned at birth. The day maher becomes a president is the day people wish George Bush was still around. I don't want to continue this because its very off topic. But its a insult to moz intelligance to belive that he was not sarcastic. Morrissey is not serious about maher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving MSG a bit more thought: part of the issue (for me anyway) was the contrast between Morrissey and Blondie. Blondie were joyous: it was pride weekend, and everyone was in a celebratory mood. They made MSG a big party (Clem Burke, their drummer, really pulled out all the stops). Everyone was having a wonderful time - it was all very lighthearted. When Blondie brought out that brass band I was thinking that Morrissey was going to have an unexpected uphill climb.

Then: on comes Morrissey - so serious, and so dark. Songs of lament, political hectoring and suicide. His tone is so often one of bombast and despair. The contrast that night was especially stark.

Excellent observation.

And Clem Burke is a VERY underrated drummer. I was watching him and he still can rock the drums!

Maher is evil

And you do it again. I thought you learned from the earlier posts. I, for one, could at least name 10 topics on which Bill and I agree. Very liberal topics, I should add. Of course I don't agree with everything he says but that isn't the point. I don't agree with my own mother, my own brother or my best friend most of the time. That's life. Everyone who expects to find another human being with whom one is in total accordance, is delusional. Actually there are more topics where I agree with Bill than I don't. Am I evil now? Do you want to slap me? Get a grip, Tynamuna, get a grip.

Of course: Morrissey can frame himself any way he wants to - he has great breadth as well as depth (and he's very funny). he could have put together a more upbeat set and sent everyone home smiling. That is seldom his intent, however.

As for Bill Maher and Morrissey - they are two peas in a pod: both PETA activists, both bull-headed, opinionated, acerbic, offensive, hilarious, insightful, occasionally wrong-headed and entertaining in turn. Both shoot their mouths off, grab headlines, and often go too far. The main difference is that Maher has a strong grasp of politics (and sometimes gets involved), while Morrissey is far less informed (and wisely stays out of it).

Morrissey championed Jon Stewart for President years ago, and I think it's still a wonderful pipe dream. Perhaps with Maher as VP...

yeah that makes much more sense to me and like you mentioned anyone expecting morrissey to turn in a lighthearted set of light songs just inst paying attention but i for sure get your point and the idea of the contrast in bands and larger social issues happening

You forgot one key diffrence between moz and maher. Maher is evil and harbors opinions that makes you weep for mankind. Any good cause he might support gets killed by the horrible opinions he harbors. He has the right to utter his opinions freely but i would still like to see him ducktaped around the mouth. Morrissey might have peta and other things in common, but is not a rascist and nazi-like as maher. I despise maher. he should have been drowned at birth. The day maher becomes a president is the day people wish George Bush was still around. I don't want to continue this because its very off topic. But its a insult to moz intelligance to belive that he was not sarcastic. Morrissey is not serious about maher.

Bill Maher is the voice of reason in an otherwise uninformed and sometimes blatantly ignorant country. The man is a national treasure. Listen to him and LEARN!!

That Stereogum review really sums up the night in my opinion.

you are a follower of george bush? figures from your ignorant nazi like mentality.

I was HUGELY disappointed in this show overall. I was so excited to see him at MSG, and last time I saw him was in 2013 at the Tilles Center on Long Island (which was a PHENOMENAL show btw). I've seen Morrissey 5 times now at various venues around NY, and to me this one was the worst. I thought he looked and sounded wonderful, and was very excited when he started off with The Queen Is Dead and then right into Suedehead...but it fell apart shortly after that for me. I am getting really tired of musicians spewing their political stance during their shows, and he just does it to the hilt. I expected Meat is Murder from the last tour with the sad slaughterhouse footage, but now he had to include police brutality videos as well and if it wasn't bad enough, two of the clips were of cops shooting dogs? Sorry, I don't need to see this stuff in my entertainment.

Aside from the political agenda, I thought the set list was awful. Too many slower, solo songs that just ran right into the other. I loved Alma Matters, Speedway, Everyday is Like Sunday, etc. but I felt a lot of the new material didn't translate well live, and I feel a lot of people around us were also bored. There were a LOT of people continually getting up getting drinks or just sitting in their seats for most of the show. Every other Morrissey show I've been to up to this point has been lively and more spirited. I also noticed he didn't talk very much, and I felt the encore ended rather abruptly.

Blondie on the other hand was AMAZING and fun and everything I could've wanted them to be. The live horns with Tide Is High at the finale was wonderful (and I never liked that song). Not sure I'll be going to see Moz again after this show. I still will enjoy his music, I got a Tshirt from the show (btw, only one choice of a tour shirt with the dates on it?) Sorry, this one was lost on me.

Bizarre show overall.

Firstly, Moz looked and sounded fantastic and was in great spirits. And Blondie was great as an opening act and seemed genuinely happy to be there (though for some reason her mic seemed way too low).

That's where the positives end for me. I have seen Morrissey in concert dozens of times and this was one of my handful of least favorite shows. MSG is too big a venue for Morrissey...even though he did manage to pack 'em in more than I would have thought. The crowd had very little energy down in the general admission section...at least in my section of it. There were hardly any handshakes and no possibility of any stage invasions due to the very high stage and big moat between the rail and the stage that was packed with security. Just really a disconnect between singer and fans. Felt very sterile. I was disappointed when the tour schedule initially came out as initially MSG would be the only venue possible for me, and I was right to have been skeptical. Thankfully he added Philly which was one of the best of shows.

I'm not a casual fan who needs to hear the greatest hits, but sometimes I wish Moz would seize the moment of playing a venue like the Garden. Here he has a very large, diverse audience, a real chance to do something epic, yet he still plays his standard set. The current set list is fine with me, and I'd be happy if he sung practically anything. However, tonight would have been a great opportunity to play some more crowd pleasers. I know that isn't his way, but sometimes I just wish he would do what the fans want. A casual fan probably knew 5 to 7 of the songs he played tonight, the rest were just filler between songs they recognize. Again, fine with me, but it made for a very large, very quiet audience, and an overall pretty boring show. There were quite a few Blondie fans near me and one couple was giving it their best to try and enjoy Morrissey, but Kick the Bride sent them over the edge and they left mid song. I was pretty bored by that point as well given the lackluster crowd and thought Kick the Bride was an odd choice to include at MSG.

Also, World Peace is pretty dreadful live. I actually was one of the few who liked it on the album, but the two times I've heard it live were a disappointment, as was Neal Cassady. I realize I'm in the minority on that one, but maybe because I have a science/medicine background the "babies full of rabies, rabies full of scabies, junior full of gangrene..." etc., is just utterly ridiculous to the point I can't get behind the song...except for the end which is beautiful.

The Gustavo takeover of Speedway is atrocious as well. As others have said after previous shows, the ending of that song, sung by Morrissey, is very powerful and personal to a lot of people. Having Gustavo sing it is just unnecessary and pointless.

And, of course, Meat is Murder. More power to Moz for keeping this one going, and I totally understand his conviction on the subject...but...always a massive suck of energy from the room.

A couple of the rare highlights of the show for me were Alma Matters, Will Never Marry, and Now My Heart is Full, all three I felt Moz sounded particularly great and heartfelt. I'm usually not this critical, but I think the downer crowd really skewed my view of this show. He should have gone back to the Brooklyn Academy of Music like in 2013, which was one of the best shows of all time...instead of MSG. Oh well, even a bad Morrissey concert is still a good day...and it was no fault of his.

I agree completely with your assessment. I’ll take it a step further. I was lucky enough to receive suite tickets and from that vantage, I’m disappointed with Morrissey’s decisions. There was not a lot of familiarity with Morrissey’s deeper tracks among those in the suites but LOTS of goodwill. A career-spanning tour de force could have left people breathless. The crowd didn’t cheer louder than Alma Matters – largely from relief. The artist can illuminate his true intentions of a song with an inflection, a pause or by juxtaposition, I’m on board for anything he wants to play – but this was a blown opportunity for Morrissey and a bad read on how many of these MSG tickets are held by corporate accounts, so the crowd really is a mixed bag. There was a complete band swap during the Speedway break and I think you make a valid point about the ending – especially when it was designed presumably to show off the multi-talented musicians and Morrissey is shaking a tambourine!

I was HUGELY disappointed in this show overall. I was so excited to see him at MSG, and last time I saw him was in 2013 at the Tilles Center on Long Island (which was a PHENOMENAL show btw). I've seen Morrissey 5 times now at various venues around NY, and to me this one was the worst. I thought he looked and sounded wonderful, and was very excited when he started off with The Queen Is Dead and then right into Suedehead...but it fell apart shortly after that for me. I am getting really tired of musicians spewing their political stance during their shows, and he just does it to the hilt. I expected Meat is Murder from the last tour with the sad slaughterhouse footage, but now he had to include police brutality videos as well and if it wasn't bad enough, two of the clips were of cops shooting dogs? Sorry, I don't need to see this stuff in my entertainment.

Aside from the political agenda, I thought the set list was awful. Too many slower, solo songs that just ran right into the other. I loved Alma Matters, Speedway, Everyday is Like Sunday, etc. but I felt a lot of the new material didn't translate well live, and I feel a lot of people around us were also bored. There were a LOT of people continually getting up getting drinks or just sitting in their seats for most of the show. Every other Morrissey show I've been to up to this point has been lively and more spirited. I also noticed he didn't talk very much, and I felt the encore ended rather abruptly.

Blondie on the other hand was AMAZING and fun and everything I could've wanted them to be. The live horns with Tide Is High at the finale was wonderful (and I never liked that song). Not sure I'll be going to see Moz again after this show. I still will enjoy his music, I got a Tshirt from the show (btw, only one choice of a tour shirt with the dates on it?) Sorry, this one was lost on me.

First of all, and again, in comparison to other artists Morrissey isn't really a political performer. 2 out of 21 songs proof that. Secondly, let us play a little game now. Imagine you are Moz and MSG is ahead. Pick your setlist. 1, 2, 3, go ...

Very disappointing. Shame on Madision Square Garden.

http://gothamist.com/2015/06/29/msg_meat_morrissey.php#photo-1

I'm a meat eater but I'm completely on Moz' side here. They agreed to it. It was reported everywhere. Moz reached out to them during the concert by genuinely thanking them. It reflects more on MSG than on Moz. (And he can't actually sent people beforhand to check every single food stand because he would even more be accused of being a control freak)

I agree completely with your assessment. I’ll take it a step further. I was lucky enough to receive suite tickets and from that vantage, I’m disappointed with Morrissey’s decisions. There was not a lot of familiarity with Morrissey’s deeper tracks among those in the suites but LOTS of goodwill. A career-spanning tour de force could have left people breathless. The crowd didn’t cheer louder than Alma Matters – largely from relief. The artist can illuminate his true intentions of a song with an inflection, a pause or by juxtaposition, I’m on board for anything he wants to play – but this was a blown opportunity for Morrissey and a bad read on how many of these MSG tickets are held by corporate accounts, so the crowd really is a mixed bag. There was a complete band swap during the Speedway break and I think you make a valid point about the ending – especially when it was designed presumably to show off the multi-talented musicians and Morrissey is shaking a tambourine!

Am I the only person who really doesn't care about the opinion of people in corporate suites?

Am I the only person who really doesn't care about the opinion of people in corporate suites?

No, you're not the only person. I don't care either. Actually, I see the setlist as a big "f*** you" to those people.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom