New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden (June 27, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Istanbul / Will Never Marry / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // Now My Heart Is Full

setlist provided by Amsden

Last edited:
Well, I feel like I was at a completely different concert than pretty much everyone on this thread. I guess it was just where I was in the audience (about three to fives rows back, directly center from the microphone). I know everyone raves about the Brooklyn Academy of Music Show, but I was way up in the mezzanine for that one and everyone around me was sitting around, being lifeless oafs. While it was a great show that certainly had an effect on it.

I have seen Morrissey twice on this tour. When I saw him in DC there was a noticeable drop in enthusiasm when he transitioned from Suedehead to Staircase At the University. Not true where I was in MSG. Honestly, there were times when I could barely hear Morrissey because everyone was singing along. And not just on the "hits." They also knew the live lyrics to the Queen is Dead, not the studio ones. And they song along word for word with Ganglord, Staircase, Meat is Murder, I Will See You In Far Off Places, Mamma Lay Me Softly on the Riverbed. They also really liked Alma Matters, which I will confess has never been my favorite--though each time I hear it live I start to like it more and more. I was a little bit surprised, especially after DC.

At first, I thought it was just the difference between New York audiences and DC ones, as where I was in in the pit seemed more energetic in general (pushing, surging forward, stuff like that which was nonexistent in DC). However, my friend who was also in the pit, but on the left side mentioned how lifeless things were near her. And the posts of people who were farther away seem to have had the same experience. Which is too bad. From my end, it was one of the best concerts I've attended--because let's face it is pretty f***ing depressing to go see Morrissey and discovering you are still the only one who knows any of his music.

I also am going to tread lightly on the Bill Maher issue since I think it is a derailment of this thread. However, he was mentioned in the same light as Jon Stewart. They both have reputations as liberal-ish comedians who host late night programs. I don't think Moz's thoughts on either one go much beyond that. It was just supposed to be a clever comment and I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

The Speedway switch-up though still drives me nuts. This time even more than last, because I thought it was an extremely powerful rendition of Speedway and the audience around me were singing along in a rather emotional way. I also thought the band was doing a very good job with the song. And while I think Gustavo has a great voice it just killed what otherwise may have been the highlight of the night. I still remember hearing Speedway live for the first time at Terminal Five and I can hear Morrissey singing "I could have mentioned your name, I could have dragged you in..." along with the audience and it sends chills down my spine. Speedway has always been a highlight when I've seen him live, but no other memory sticks out like that time. MSG was pretty close until the switch-up.

But that's just one person's unsolicited opinion. Do with it what you will.

Thanks. That moment at 1:18 occurs when he entered the stage before speaking. So he only did it once from what I saw. Does he always do this?

As a Jew, I'm a bit uneducated on this sort of thing. Is this a religious act? Or can it be viewed as a more secular ritual? A superstition, like saying "break a leg" to someone before they go on stage?

And this fits into the current discussion on religion. Is this the action of an atheist?

He did it as he entered the stage, before the song started.

"Is this a religious act? Or can it be viewed as a more secular ritual? A superstition, like saying "break a leg" to someone before they go on stage?"

its all of these things. im not a catholic but ive done that just to be dramatic like in movies in many situations for many reasons none to do with my actual religion (im agnostic) and im guessing this is what it was used for on stage. an effect to reference the queens actual death and his lust for it (though im guessing again that he means the title of queen and not the actual person but who knows). hes never done it at the shows ive seen that ive noticed and im guessing its just because of the song. in many places like most catholic rituals here and in brittan, its just secular dramatics with popular cultural overtones and nothing more.

Well, I feel like I was at a completely different concert than pretty much everyone on this thread. I guess it was just where I was in the audience (about three to fives rows back, directly center from the microphone). I know everyone raves about the Brooklyn Academy of Music Show, but I was way up in the mezzanine for that one and everyone around me was sitting around, being lifeless oafs. While it was a great show that certainly had an effect on it.

I have seen Morrissey twice on this tour. When I saw him in DC there was a noticeable drop in enthusiasm when he transitioned from Suedehead to Staircase At the University. Not true where I was in MSG. Honestly, there were times when I could barely hear Morrissey because everyone was singing along. And not just on the "hits." They also knew the live lyrics to the Queen is Dead, not the studio ones. And they song along word for word with Ganglord, Staircase, Meat is Murder, I Will See You In Far Off Places, Mamma Lay Me Softly on the Riverbed. They also really liked Alma Matters, which I will confess has never been my favorite--though each time I hear it live I start to like it more and more. I was a little bit surprised, especially after DC.

At first, I thought it was just the difference between New York audiences and DC ones, as where I was in in the pit seemed more energetic in general (pushing, surging forward, stuff like that which was nonexistent in DC). However, my friend who was also in the pit, but on the left side mentioned how lifeless things were near her. And the posts of people who were farther away seem to have had the same experience. Which is too bad. From my end, it was one of the best concerts I've attended--because let's face it is pretty f***ing depressing to go see Morrissey and discovering you are still the only one who knows any of his music.

I also am going to tread lightly on the Bill Maher issue since I think it is a derailment of this thread. However, he was mentioned in the same light as Jon Stewart. They both have reputations as liberal-ish comedians who host late night programs. I don't think Moz's thoughts on either one go much beyond that. It was just supposed to be a clever comment and I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

The Speedway switch-up though still drives me nuts. This time even more than last, because I thought it was an extremely powerful rendition of Speedway and the audience around me were singing along in a rather emotional way. I also thought the band was doing a very good job with the song. And while I think Gustavo has a great voice it just killed what otherwise may have been the highlight of the night. I still remember hearing Speedway live for the first time at Terminal Five and I can hear Morrissey singing "I could have mentioned your name, I could have dragged you in..." along with the audience and it sends chills down my spine. Speedway has always been a highlight when I've seen him live, but no other memory sticks out like that time. MSG was pretty close until the switch-up.

But that's just one person's unsolicited opinion. Do with it what you will.

cool chip, i was also at the dc show and love alma matters though speedway leaves me indifferent but thats just taste ect. dc crowds are always strange imo and iove been going to shows there for like twenty years and unless its some super rare hardcore band they rarely get to excited or moving. patrick wolf when i saw him there had a very weird audience. i think many in dc, especially with legacy acts (meaning older acts and not just nostalgia ones ) get seen based more on there name. something for people to tell others the next day etc. i had fun though even if i only got to see him once this time. glad yuo did to

Thanks. That moment at 1:18 occurs when he entered the stage before speaking. So he only did it once from what I saw. Does he always do this?

As a Jew, I'm a bit uneducated on this sort of thing. Is this a religious act? Or can it be viewed as a more secular ritual? A superstition, like saying "break a leg" to someone before they go on stage?

And this fits into the current discussion on religion. Is this the action of an atheist?

He did it as he entered the stage, before the song started.

When you're raised irish catholic, making the sign of the cross isn't all the unusual. Morrissey, like most of us raised this way, make it as a tongue in cheek sort of way.

Last edited:
Such a bullshit article.

The 1997 "dud" Alma Matters?!

"If I want a slice of pepperoni pizza I should have that right? Really! You can't go 2 hours without meat, wow!!

yeah i love that song as its got such a nice guitar part and a great hook. the guitar part is so even and hypnotic that i just love it. also you have then right to accpet what the venue offers and thats it. presumptuous to think otherwise. just sounds petty and childish

cool chip, i was also at the dc show and love alma matters though speedway leaves me indifferent but thats just taste ect. dc crowds are always strange imo and iove been going to shows there for like twenty years and unless its some super rare hardcore band they rarely get to excited or moving. patrick wolf when i saw him there had a very weird audience. i think many in dc, especially with legacy acts (meaning older acts and not just nostalgia ones ) get seen based more on there name. something for people to tell others the next day etc. i had fun though even if i only got to see him once this time. glad yuo did to

That probably read far more condescending towards DC than I intended. I live in DC and the overwhelming majority of concerts I have been to in my lifetime have been in what would be broadly defined as the "DC area." I saw Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel and the crowd was really into both of them, though I never remember getting involuntary moved around as much at any other show like I was last night. Like I said I saw Morrissey at BAM and the audience around me was mostly lame so I think it is more of a getting shoved between the hardcore fans or being with the people who like Morrissey, but not as much as the Cure, though they don't remember the name of Robert Smith ("that guy") and wonder if he's a solo artist now or if the Cure, whom they love so much, is still a band than a DC v. NYC thing. I had an excellent time at Echostage, but I was a little let down when no one around me seemed to know Staircase at the University was a song after their ecstatic reaction to Suedehead. I am aware that's weird.

Such a bullshit article.

The 1997 "dud" Alma Matters?!

"If I want a slice of pepperoni pizza I should have that right?"

Really! You can't go 2 hours without meat, wow!!

That was my reaction when I read it. I mean even if you are not a vegetarian/vegan the idea that you must be able to have instant access to meat at any given point in your life is bizarre.

At least the New York Post conceded his voice was "resplendent" even if they were mostly interested in finding disgruntled meat eaters.

The other two reviews were somewhat more positive--http://gothamist.com/2015/06/28/observations_from_morrissey_blondie.php

http://www.stereogum.com/1812035/mo...ut-an-admirable-ban-on-chicken-fingers/video/

And in case you ever wanted proof that Morrissey will never be able to please everybody with his setlist, note the Gothamist said

: There were five classic Moz solo songs in the set, and four of them were as great as ever: "Suedehead" was as spectacular now as it was in 1988, "Everyday Is Like Sunday" was the singalong of the night, "Alma Matters" sounded free and buoyant removed from its less-than-stellar production, and "Now My Heart Is Full" was a gorgeous embrace of an encore.

as opposed to from the New York Post

He was far from generous with his back catalog, too, choosing to unearth tracks like the 1997 dud “Alma Matters” instead of dipping further into the myriad of undisputed classics he has at his disposal.

What's one of only five classics played to some is apparently a dud taking the place of undisputed classics to others.

Mick Jagger has looked like the same shriveled up simian for the past 20 or so years, actually bordering on a reanimated corpse look. Morrissey could live to 100 and not look as bad as Mick. IMO.
Disagree. Morrissey is fat, gray, and balding. Mick is in great shape and has fabulous hair.

You are right. But i did not compare Bill to isis. I Said he was evil. Not in the same scale at all as isis but evil. Read more carefully

- - - Updated - - -

Right winged?! I'm as liberal as they come. Oh just stop it. Lets turn back to moz and the show

Bill Maher is evil? Are you insane?

Bill Maher is evil? Are you insane?

no i think theyre just playing at it.

chip,

neutral milk hotel would fall under the category of cult indie act imo and i could see people liking that, i love him, but as to arcade fire i dont know if i would have expected that. whats your fav venue in d.c. and why. i also didnt really read it as dc vs new york as i know dc very very well as ive lived close to it all of my life and just figured new york large enough, lol, to just have a more mixed crowd. you never really know what your gonna get though on any given night though in most places. i saw him in philly in 2013 in redding and the crowd wasnt that great though people seem to be raving about the crowd this time around. guess ive always just found dc crowds to be more indifferent in general

A bit squished down front, but a lovely night in general. While I'm preferential to the older stuff & Smiths material, can't say enough about how great his voice was and the energy the band brought by & large. Here are some videos I got of both Morrissey & Blondie.

One Way Or Another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBd2yUtvgs

The Tide Is High
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0YGF_z2Gk

The Queen Is Dead (apologies for not getting in focus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZs4PsXa9w

Ganglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NORancuUcJQ

Every Day Is Like Sunday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzLuHrBRcy4

I Will See You In Far Off Places
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C72r58Br0T4

What She Said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kickko9BMuI

Now My Heart Is Full
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFsJsWsefuc

Blondie opening for Moz was the highlight so far of this 2015 Snooze Tour.

What a sad state of affairs.

I wonder how many record company executives where at MSG and thinking while they listened to World Peace: "Oh My God, I need to re-release this shit. It's awesome!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many record company executives where at MSG and thinking while they listened to World Peace: "Oh My God, I need to re-release this shit. It's awesome!"

Quite. I would love to have been in the meeting when Harvest first heard it. They must have swallowed something very hard and jagged.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out the person who first brought up signing Morrissey to that deal is now queuing at a soup kitchen.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom