New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden (June 27, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Istanbul / Will Never Marry / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // Now My Heart Is Full

setlist provided by Amsden

Last edited:
Terrible selection of low key songs, no banter, shabby appearance (that’s no fancy jacket – it was too small and needed some ironing) made for unmemorable, crestless show. Hey, Moz, it’s not all about dancing, but if the show has no energy, it’s a $150 lecture.

Did Morrissey list Bill maher as one of his choices. Are you retarded moz? Bill maher is awful. His gross critique of muslims is stupid. Dragging a comb over all muslims. Stupid bastards. Anyone over that Bill maher. I spit in his face if i see Bill. There is few points agree with bill about. Awful awful creature. Supporting the death penalty, the iraq war and racial profiling in airports.What a absolut c***
I hope you were kidding moz. I lost respect really for you a bit if you are not.

As horrible as isis is clumping all muslim in on category is horrible too.

I'm pro-abortion(mostly) and in some instances assisted suicide but Bill has a nazi-mentality.
This man morrissey? I hope both you and Bill are joking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really made me sad. And people say Morrissey is as good as ever. I hope really he was joking or else he lost his damn mind. I Love the man but he is losing it. Some one needs to slap some sense in to moz. Johnny, give moz a right one! You might be more talanted Morrissey but atleast Johnny is sane!. Well they are equally talanted in different ways, but i perfer moz.....

I have a feeling that one or both of them were there last night and he was stroking some egos or playing to the throng of locals. You do know...there were some celebrities there last night, right? Or, better yet, he was being funny...the way he usually is...which usually gets turned around and mixed up and spit back out again by conspiracy theorists and the media to make him look like a racists/sexist/whateverist.
I really hope so, i really do. Either way it gave me some chills

Thank you. My Orpheus (good work!) was great, again, last night...sooooo happy to have seen him twice in one week and I COMPLETELY understand why so many people follow him everywhere. The feeling before, during and after the show simply cannot be beat. It's like a hot bath on a cold day. :)

Jude was stoked! He is an avid drummer and he thoroughly enjoyed Matt's playing. Thanks to the little guy, I ended up paying much more attention this time to Matt (and Mando, as per his drum instructor's "homework" assignment) and I will say that Matt is pretty damn awesome on the drums. Early on, I did have someone tell me to come down to GA and they'd get me in, but I didn't wanna leave Fred and Jude high and dry in the upper section...against their pleas for me to go down there into the pit (which seemed very tame, btw, except during the shirt toss...which was a madhouse)...and part of me is bummed I didn't go down to GA, but more of me is happy I got to see my kid so happy. Judging by the action in the pit, Jude actually could have survived it. Maybe next time he'll be one of the kids to get up there and nab a hug...er...maybe not because "I'm shy." (<----- LOL, Fred) Jude also mentioned how neat it is that Morrissey does what he does for the animals and was prepped for MiM, which he didn't watch...for obvious reasons. That was pretty heartwarming to hear.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever be able to see Morrissey in concert again and not be in a closer spot. The energy is different at the back with all the casual fans or nostalgia catchers and I wanted to turn to all those mute, dull people, sitting on their fat asses next to me, and scream, "STAND UP! THIS IS MORRISSEY!" The front is where you need to be if you're not just going to hear The Smiths' songs to remember your days in high school/college. Unless, unless this incident was merely because the venue was absolutely HUGE compared to The Academy in Philadelphia? Anyone else notice the difference?

How dare they not stand up !
Please forgive them Lord CrankFraud for they have sinned and do not know the error of there ways.
They are not worthy of your presence and should have been ejected from the venue.
In future I think we need to give out leaflets/guides on how to conduct ones self at the gatherings.
On another note did he place the healing hands on anyone at the front ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Really made me sad. And people say Morrissey is as good as ever. I hope really he was joking or else he lost his damn mind. I Love the man but he is losing it. Some one needs to slap some sense in to moz. Johnny, give moz a right one! You might be more talanted Morrissey but atleast Johnny is sane!. Well they are equally talanted in different ways, but i perfer moz.....

I'm now thinking you are an epic troll, because there is no way you can be this stupid

First you say you don't like Jesse's personality. Have you even had a conversation with him?! He's perfectly nice.

Secondly, you weren't at the show. Moz looks amazing and he gave a great performance. Morrissey has been successful for over 25 years without Johnny. He doesn't need him-he has a wonderful band and group of songwriters behind him.

Losing his mind? Why? You act like he wandered on stage in a trash bag and played the kazoo for an hour. He was completely professional, and put his all into the show.

Tynamuna, I really don't want to bring up Tina again but 98 percent of the Iranian population profess Islam. So there is a strong possibility that she, or at least some family members, has/have some connection to this religion. Unless she has turned her back strongly against her country of origin and the Iranian people, I don't see Moz siding with Bill Maher on this issue. And his past comments don't lead in this direction, as well. I think it was strong sarcasm which wasn't quite obvious.

Bizarre show overall.

Firstly, Moz looked and sounded fantastic and was in great spirits. And Blondie was great as an opening act and seemed genuinely happy to be there (though for some reason her mic seemed way too low).

That's where the positives end for me. I have seen Morrissey in concert dozens of times and this was one of my handful of least favorite shows. MSG is too big a venue for Morrissey...even though he did manage to pack 'em in more than I would have thought. The crowd had very little energy down in the general admission section...at least in my section of it. There were hardly any handshakes and no possibility of any stage invasions due to the very high stage and big moat between the rail and the stage that was packed with security. Just really a disconnect between singer and fans. Felt very sterile. I was disappointed when the tour schedule initially came out as initially MSG would be the only venue possible for me, and I was right to have been skeptical. Thankfully he added Philly which was one of the best of shows.

I'm not a casual fan who needs to hear the greatest hits, but sometimes I wish Moz would seize the moment of playing a venue like the Garden. Here he has a very large, diverse audience, a real chance to do something epic, yet he still plays his standard set. The current set list is fine with me, and I'd be happy if he sung practically anything. However, tonight would have been a great opportunity to play some more crowd pleasers. I know that isn't his way, but sometimes I just wish he would do what the fans want. A casual fan probably knew 5 to 7 of the songs he played tonight, the rest were just filler between songs they recognize. Again, fine with me, but it made for a very large, very quiet audience, and an overall pretty boring show. There were quite a few Blondie fans near me and one couple was giving it their best to try and enjoy Morrissey, but Kick the Bride sent them over the edge and they left mid song. I was pretty bored by that point as well given the lackluster crowd and thought Kick the Bride was an odd choice to include at MSG.

Also, World Peace is pretty dreadful live. I actually was one of the few who liked it on the album, but the two times I've heard it live were a disappointment, as was Neal Cassady. I realize I'm in the minority on that one, but maybe because I have a science/medicine background the "babies full of rabies, rabies full of scabies, junior full of gangrene..." etc., is just utterly ridiculous to the point I can't get behind the song...except for the end which is beautiful.

The Gustavo takeover of Speedway is atrocious as well. As others have said after previous shows, the ending of that song, sung by Morrissey, is very powerful and personal to a lot of people. Having Gustavo sing it is just unnecessary and pointless.

And, of course, Meat is Murder. More power to Moz for keeping this one going, and I totally understand his conviction on the subject...but...always a massive suck of energy from the room.

A couple of the rare highlights of the show for me were Alma Matters, Will Never Marry, and Now My Heart is Full, all three I felt Moz sounded particularly great and heartfelt. I'm usually not this critical, but I think the downer crowd really skewed my view of this show. He should have gone back to the Brooklyn Academy of Music like in 2013, which was one of the best shows of all time...instead of MSG. Oh well, even a bad Morrissey concert is still a good day...and it was no fault of his.

Some very valid points in here. There was definetly a lull in the show that could have been easily fixed with some relatively minor adjustments to the setlist. Ones that would have 15000 people eating out of the palm of his hand rather than wondering why he is singing about brides, cows, and rubella.

Thank you. My Orpheus (good work!) was great, again, last night...sooooo happy to have seen him twice in one week and I COMPLETELY understand why so many people follow him everywhere. The feeling before, during and after the show simply cannot be beat. It's like a hot bath on a cold day. :)

Jude was stoked! He is an avid drummer and he thoroughly enjoyed Matt's playing. Thanks to the little guy, I ended up paying much more attention this time to Matt (and Mando, as per his drum instructor's "homework" assignment) and I will say that Matt is pretty damn awesome on the drums. Early on, I did have someone tell me to come down to GA and they'd get me in, but I didn't wanna leave Fred and Jude high and dry in the upper section...against their pleas for me to go down there into the pit (which seemed very tame, btw, except during the shirt toss...which was a madhouse)...and part of me is bummed I didn't go down to GA, but more of me is happy I got to see my kid so happy. Judging by the action in the pit, Jude actually could have survived it. Maybe next time he'll be one of the kids to get up there and nab a hug...er...maybe not because "I'm shy." (<----- LOL, Fred) Jude also mentioned how neat it is that Morrissey does what he does for the animals and was prepped for MiM, which he didn't watch...for obvious reasons. That was pretty heartwarming to hear.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever be able to see Morrissey in concert again and not be in a closer spot. The energy is different at the back with all the casual fans or nostalgia catchers and I wanted to turn to all those mute, dull people, sitting on their fat asses next to me, and scream, "STAND UP! THIS IS MORRISSEY!" The front is where you need to be if you're not just going to hear The Smiths' songs to remember your days in high school/college. Unless, unless this incident was merely because the venue was absolutely HUGE compared to The Academy in Philadelphia? Anyone else notice the difference?

it funny because the way i read i dont look at individual letters so when i first saw your name i tried to read it phonetically since it was a word shape i didnt instantly recognize so in my head ive been calling you uir dice because names for the most part dont mean much to me and i just figured it was some reference to something i didnt know but when i was watching the opera it dawned on me how great a user name that would be and my mind finally made the connection. funny (to me at least). glad you had a great time and so glad your influencing your son with good music and good people. i hope to do the same but i think im not booking any more shows until this year is over. i get so mad and a little resentful when it doesnt work out even though ive no right to be mad (at her). anyway if you guys ever come to baltimore again you are always welcome in my home. give my best to fred and hopefully he singing up a storm himself

I'm now thinking you are an epic troll, because there is no way you can be this stupid

First you say you don't like Jesse's personality. Have you even had a conversation with him?! He's perfectly nice.

Secondly, you weren't at the show. Moz looks amazing and he gave a great performance. Morrissey has been successful for over 25 years without Johnny. He doesn't need him-he has a wonderful band and group of songwriters behind him.

Losing his mind? Why? You act like he wandered on stage in a trash bag and played the kazoo for an hour. He was completely professional, and put his all into the show.

Go suck a d'ck, i Said nothing about the performance but about the Bill maher thing

- - - Updated - - -

Tynamuna, I really don't want to bring up Tina again but 98 percent of the Iranian population profess Islam. So there is a strong possibility that she, or at least some family members, has/have some connection to this religion. Unless she has turned her back strongly against her country of origin and the Iranian people, I don't see Moz siding with Bill Maher on this issue. And his past comments don't lead in this direction, as well. I think it was strong sarcasm which wasn't quite obvious.
I really hope so :) i have muslim friends(i have few friend because i suck really) and a muslim relative. They are the sweetest most liberal people i know. I myself have no religion, but i do belive in a god. I should have know it was sarcasm, since Morrissey could have never been that stupid or heartless to side with maher. But he said it in a way that you can't detecte the sarcasm.

Go suck a d'ck

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope so :) i have muslim friends(i have few friend because i suck really) and a muslim relative. They are the sweetest most liberal people i know. I myself have no religion, but i do belive in a god.

Great comeback. Very mature.

I agree completely with your assessment. I’ll take it a step further. I was lucky enough to receive suite tickets and from that vantage, I’m disappointed with Morrissey’s decisions. There was not a lot of familiarity with Morrissey’s deeper tracks among those in the suites but LOTS of goodwill. A career-spanning tour de force could have left people breathless. The crowd didn’t cheer louder than Alma Matters – largely from relief. The artist can illuminate his true intentions of a song with an inflection, a pause or by juxtaposition, I’m on board for anything he wants to play – but this was a blown opportunity for Morrissey and a bad read on how many of these MSG tickets are held by corporate accounts, so the crowd really is a mixed bag. There was a complete band swap during the Speedway break and I think you make a valid point about the ending – especially when it was designed presumably to show off the multi-talented musicians and Morrissey is shaking a tambourine!

Go suck a d'ck, i Said nothing about the performance but about the Bill maher thing

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope so :) i have muslim friends(i have few friend because i suck really) and a muslim relative. They are the sweetest most liberal people i know. I myself have no religion, but i do belive in a god. I should have know it was sarcasm, since Morrissey could have never been that stupid or heartless to side with maher. But he said it in a way that you can't detecte the sarcasm.

It's Bill Maher, not Hitler. You think Johnny Marr is the answer to Morrissey's problems? You are exactly like all the 15-year olds who fantasise about Johnny and Morrissey together and only listen to the smiths.

Here's all my video. Everything but the end of Meat Is Murder when I had to change the camera battery. Technically, pretty good. The hanging stacks were a definite problem throughout the show as you'll see. Whenever Moz was obstructed, I switched over to Matt, Boz or Gustavo. My views of Mando and Jesse were completely obstructed throughout the show due to the stacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9gB8gXTrmo&list=PLx7OzIA-nsBs6eu1d_qDyDnWtwrz3XTj0

I'll ask again: Does Moz make the sign of the cross during his stage entrance? It's at 1:18 during The Queen Is Dead. Maybe he always does this. Don't know.

I really enjoyed this show. I do agree that a more casual fan friendly setlist would have captured more attention from this audience which seemed very receptive. But what was played was well performed and the acoustics were better than usual for MSG. I saw him at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester in 2013 and clearly the smaller venue is better, which is pretty much always the case for any artist.

I'll post the Blondie footage next.

Bizarre show overall.

Firstly, Moz looked and sounded fantastic and was in great spirits. And Blondie was great as an opening act and seemed genuinely happy to be there (though for some reason her mic seemed way too low).

That's where the positives end for me. I have seen Morrissey in concert dozens of times and this was one of my handful of least favorite shows. MSG is too big a venue for Morrissey...even though he did manage to pack 'em in more than I would have thought. The crowd had very little energy down in the general admission section...at least in my section of it. There were hardly any handshakes and no possibility of any stage invasions due to the very high stage and big moat between the rail and the stage that was packed with security. Just really a disconnect between singer and fans. Felt very sterile. I was disappointed when the tour schedule initially came out as initially MSG would be the only venue possible for me, and I was right to have been skeptical. Thankfully he added Philly which was one of the best of shows.

I'm not a casual fan who needs to hear the greatest hits, but sometimes I wish Moz would seize the moment of playing a venue like the Garden. Here he has a very large, diverse audience, a real chance to do something epic, yet he still plays his standard set. The current set list is fine with me, and I'd be happy if he sung practically anything. However, tonight would have been a great opportunity to play some more crowd pleasers. I know that isn't his way, but sometimes I just wish he would do what the fans want. A casual fan probably knew 5 to 7 of the songs he played tonight, the rest were just filler between songs they recognize. Again, fine with me, but it made for a very large, very quiet audience, and an overall pretty boring show. There were quite a few Blondie fans near me and one couple was giving it their best to try and enjoy Morrissey, but Kick the Bride sent them over the edge and they left mid song. I was pretty bored by that point as well given the lackluster crowd and thought Kick the Bride was an odd choice to include at MSG.

Also, World Peace is pretty dreadful live. I actually was one of the few who liked it on the album, but the two times I've heard it live were a disappointment, as was Neal Cassady. I realize I'm in the minority on that one, but maybe because I have a science/medicine background the "babies full of rabies, rabies full of scabies, junior full of gangrene..." etc., is just utterly ridiculous to the point I can't get behind the song...except for the end which is beautiful.

The Gustavo takeover of Speedway is atrocious as well. As others have said after previous shows, the ending of that song, sung by Morrissey, is very powerful and personal to a lot of people. Having Gustavo sing it is just unnecessary and pointless.

And, of course, Meat is Murder. More power to Moz for keeping this one going, and I totally understand his conviction on the subject...but...always a massive suck of energy from the room.

A couple of the rare highlights of the show for me were Alma Matters, Will Never Marry, and Now My Heart is Full, all three I felt Moz sounded particularly great and heartfelt. I'm usually not this critical, but I think the downer crowd really skewed my view of this show. He should have gone back to the Brooklyn Academy of Music like in 2013, which was one of the best shows of all time...instead of MSG. Oh well, even a bad Morrissey concert is still a good day...and it was no fault of his.

You took the words right out of my mouth - I agree with every point.

Morrissey sounded wonderful, and he seemed in great spirits. Kicking the show off with "It takes a nation of zillions to hold us back!" and then launching into "The Queen is Dead" was one heck of an entrance. He did, however, eventually lose the crowd. I was down in front, and saw that couple leave. I couldn't blame them - "Kick the Bride" is weak. "World Peace" doesn't work live either. Folks were bored.

Morrissey's strengths are his weaknesses: he doesn't aim to please, and he's not an entertainer. That works on a small scale (when his personality can fill the room), but not at a soulless cavern like MSG. That venue sucks the life out of most bands (although Blondie did a fantastic job - everyone was dancing, laughing, etc.). "Gangland" and "Meat is Murder" are powerful but not entertaining. I love them both, but they don't work on an arena crowd.

Philly was a joyous show: a celebration. Folks there were mellow, but it was a pleasure from beginning to end. Brooklyn 2013 was one of the best gigs I've ever attended: pure emotional TNT (Morrissey should tour beautiful, historic venues: he always brings the house down). Last night was dull, even though Morrissey was not.

All that said: I brought a friend along who had never seen Morrissey before. She thought he was "awe-inspiring." There was a girl in front of me who was crying nearly the whole time. I saw a few enraptured faces in amongst the folks checking their phones. Even on a dull night, he manages to inspire.

Besides Bill maher......... He seemed to be looking good, fit healthy and sung well. The shirt is not as good as the one on fallon but spiffy. Did anyone like Blondie. Did she look good? I don't mind him playing WPINOB live even though i dislike it. Seeing Morrissey live is good enough, but he could have pulled out a little showstopper. To go with the grandios feeling of msg.

Just never let the name Bill maher slip out of those beautiful lips. Even if its sarcasam

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom