New York City, NY - Lunt-Fontanne Theatre (May 3, 2019) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Alma Matters / Is It Really So Strange? / Hairdresser On Fire / Spent The Day In Bed / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / How Soon Is Now? / Hold On To Your Friends / Break Up The Family / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Morning Starship / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / Back On The Chain Gang / The Bullfighter Dies / Life Is A Pigsty / Jack The Ripper / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / Scandinavia / Everyday Is Like Sunday // First Of The Gang To Die

Setlist courtesy of setlist.fm

• Photos from @dreampropaganda / Twitter: set1 (4 photos), set2 (4 photos). Links via retweet by @erica / Twitter.

full

Last edited:
52% of UK voted to leave EU. Without a clear knowledge of how that would work. 48% voted remain, knowing what that would mean. You could accuse any percentage of either side of being 'sheep'...wouldn't help much, though. No-one is able to keep even a slender majority happy - the referendum was ill-conceived. Some of EU is elected, some isn't - this applies to most governments.

Without clear knowledge? Lmao. Remaining means you stay the same. Not a big mystery.

i tend to listen to 'munich' as a song with historical significance. as far as i know there has always been a controversial debate in great britain of how to deal with the casualties of the traumatizing air raids during ww2, on both sides, the british and the german.
though "munich" is "only" about soccer, the loss described here imho is not just of a "sportingly nature". it indirectly goes deeper than that and connects with the losses of the past.
i see morrissey dipping into the past of national traumata and the release of pent-up emotions indulgingly, almost luxuriatingly, for the first time in unison with the rest of britain, and not as an outsider who is left alone with his mourning.
i prefer this song's approach to, for example, the queen's unveiling of the bomber command memorial in london in 2012, honoring bomber harris and the appr. 55000 military personnell of this command who died during this operation in a bombastic, some said almost mussolini-like 'fascist', way.
i think the song is still effective and offers a lot to think about. his anti-royalism connected with some subversively sexual allusions offer a (m)unique approach to this topic.
its not a party song though, i agree.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. He’s just eulogising fresh-faced, young bequiffed 1950’s footballers who died tragically, with the typical Moz nostalgia tinged with camp that goes with said eulogising.

I honestly don’t think it’s any more meaningful than “what a sad loss of life from the good old days I wish I was from”. Like a selfish nostalgia almost? Like he’s almost saying how lucky they were? But that’s just my view.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. He’s just eulogising fresh-faced, young bequiffed 1950’s footballers who died tragically, with the typical Moz nostalgia tinged with camp that goes with said eulogising.

I honestly don’t think it’s any more meaningful than “what a sad loss of life from the good old days I wish I was from”. Like a selfish nostalgia almost? Like he’s almost saying how lucky they were? But that’s just my view.
could be, if you assume that the hotbed of his imagination is only fuelled by his assumed selfishness and narcisstic nostalgia.
i find this a bit restrictive though, keeping in mind that the song was probably composed at the time of the 50th-anniversary of this disaster when there was a lot of media coverage in britain and also internationally. i assume that morrissey was aware of that historical date. the media coverage spurred anew discourses of loss, heroism, the old british-german rivalry by sea, land and air, nationalism, etc. within which the song was eventually composed and meant as a contribution that was riding on the emotional waves of these topics but also subverted them in one way or the other. the "nostalgia tinged with camp" would be one way of undermining the images of heterosexual heroism and masculinity represented by soccer players and soldiers alike.

who is the "you" in: they cant hurt you / their style will never desert (!) you ?

Scandinavia and Every Day is Like Sunday, posted by Steve Easton

Life is a Pigsty and Jack the Ripper, posted by Steve Easton

Finally flew home after spending time in New York, solely for the purpose of seeing Morrissey on Broadway, night two.
It was brilliant. Personally speaking I felt it was a great portrayal of his career spanning 30+ years. Never mind what people are saying were the “slow, boring songs” unfortunately you don’t see beyond the entertainment value. The highlights for me were Break Up The Family, Hairdresser, Hold Onto Your Friends and Life Is a Pigsty. I loved Seasick yet Still docked as well, very moving and dramatic.
The venue itself was excellent and intimate.
The crowd seemed to be a mix of die hards and the typical casuals. The couple in front me talked to each other for damn near the entire show with one of them constantly fussing around with his phone. And then you had the people exiting and entering over and over to retrieve more beers or cocktails. I suppose for some the party is more interesting.
All in all for me it was an amazing experience and I feel grateful to be able to attend. Morrissey is a living legend.

... the media coverage spurred anew discourses of loss, heroism, the old british-german rivalry by sea, land and air, nationalism, etc. within which the song was eventually composed and meant as a contribution that was riding on the emotional waves of these topics but also subverted them in one way or the other. the "nostalgia tinged with camp" would be one way of undermining the images of heterosexual heroism and masculinity represented by soccer players and soldiers alike.

who is the "you" in: they cant hurt you / their style will never desert (!) you ?

It's got nothing to do with soldiers or british/german military history??

It's got nothing to do with soldiers or british/german military history??
It never fails to surprise me what people read into Morrissey's songs. About 98% of all Moz songs are about sex, loneliness (ie not having sex), and dysfunctional relationships (involving gay/huma sex), with a smattering of suicide and revenge thrown in for good measure. That's it. That's all you need to know.

It never fails to surprise me what people read into Morrissey's songs. About 98% of all Moz songs are about sex, loneliness (ie not having sex), and dysfunctional relationships (involving gay/huma sex), with a smattering of suicide and revenge thrown in for good measure. That's it. That's all you need to know.

Apart, of course, from "Roy's Keen". Which is about his favourite window cleaner...

some people content themselves with very little, which does not surprise me....
mk5.gif

I see the famed German sense of humour is alive and well :lbf: I was posting with my tongue in my cheek, Lanterns.
now that you say it, pep, the irony is really apparent. if i had just known you better...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom