New York City, NY - Lunt-Fontanne Theatre (May 2, 2019) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / Suedehead / Alma Matters / Hairdresser On Fire / Is It Really So Strange? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / How Soon Is Now? / I Wish You Lonely / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Morning Starship / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / Back On The Chain Gang / The Bullfighter Dies / Trouble Loves Me / Jack The Ripper / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / Everyday Is Like Sunday / What She Said // Let Me Kiss You

Setlist provided by @Lost and found via setlist.fm

Last edited:
Disappointed :(:(:squiffy::squiffy:... Why He Didn't Play New Tunes From His New Album ?! .. ( Lady Willpower , Day Of Decision , It's Over , Loliness Remember What Happens ... ) ...

The vocals and the band sound fantastic. Morrissey really needs to consider playing smaller venues again in the UK. I was at the London Palladium gig last year and was so much better than the soulless arenas he has wanted to play to top up his pension fund.
Unfortunately any such gig will probably be a fundraiser to dryclean Tommy the Nobhead's clothes everytine he is getting covered in milkshake whilst canvassing in the North-West of England.
Maybe Moz can put this in his pre-show videos.

A very good night!

Full disclosure: the last time I saw Morrissey was four years ago at Madison Square Garden. That show was so tedious, low-energy and dispiriting (and the setlist was so dull) that I've skipped all his visits to New York City and environs until tonight.

Morrissey was in very fine voice. His energy was up, he was funny and seemed reasonably engaged. The setlist was very good (I only bought a last-minute ticket to hear Trouble Loves Me, and I was not disappointed). This might have been my favorite version of Jack the Ripper ever: Morrissey's vocals were fierce, the front rows were overwhelmed with smoke, and the red-lit atmosphere was so intense that the bald gentlemen next to me passed right out (only reviving a few songs later).

A few notes: Morrissey's habit of getting things going with a few truly great songs, then allowing the middle of the set to droop with plodding, mediocre material before bringing it all home continues to be most unfortunate, but it's his set to ruin his own way.

The pre-show video selections were truly entertaining, and the lighting and backdrops were also very well-done.

Morrissey continues to confound: his grasp of pop-cultural history is sophisticated and nuanced, and his appreciation for the power of pop culture to effect positive social change is clearly evident. This makes his bizarre and often tone-deaf, selfish, ill-informed and downright idiotic media trolling of recent years all the more inexplicable. Thank goodness he didn't talk politics tonight.

Further note: I got a great, center-row orchestra ticket at a discount from Ticketmaster the morning of the show, and there are still a lot of good seats left; it's worth seeing him this time around.

Thank You Anaesthesine; í'm glad that you had a fine time! And that siren call guided you to shore safely.

The 2018 iteration of "Jack the Ripper" at RAH and Palladium was, as í think í may have hinted at, ovary-shatteringly good {and í never had none to start with!} It seems like he knows he's onto a winner, as the Broadway version sounds similar. Did he roll up his sleeves at all? í seem to recall that was a crucial element in last year's version; í'll be damned if í can explain why, now. It was definitive though.

Last time í saw him do "Trouble Loves Me" was 5 years ago {Christ!} at the Santa Ana Observatory show, and í thought then that it was the finest version of the song í'd ever seen.

How did you feel toward "Seasick, yet Still Docked"? í would love to see him do that again. It's a very delicate jewel to set shining in a concert setting; venue and crowd dependent. í would have thought a Broadway theater would be perfect. When í have seen the song shine in the past, it is an uncanny joy, and one of those pleasures unique to Morrissey in Person.

í am familiar with the mid-set sag you speak of, and have always explained it away with that old standby "That's Moz" or, going a little deeper, his self-diagnosed "unlimited self-sabotage".

But, My Sweet Aunt, that final 5 song run to close the main set...í would have been on the floor with your overcome bald gentlemen friend! :)

The vocals and the band sound fantastic. Morrissey really needs to consider playing smaller venues again in the UK. I was at the London Palladium gig last year and was so much better than the soulless arenas he has wanted to play to top up his pension fund.
Unfortunately any such gig will probably be a fundraiser to dryclean Tommy the Nobhead's clothes everytine he is getting covered in milkshake whilst canvassing in the North-West of England.

í have the feeling now that it may not be a matter of his choice as to the size of UK venues he ends up playing.

Unless he decides to go into the large black curtain business...

You are the Ringleader of the Knobheads.

Condoning cowardly assaults on those you oppose rather than debating them. Antifa scum sucking swine.

Did he roll up his sleeves at all? í seem to recall that was a crucial element in last year's version; í'll be damned if í can explain why, now. It was definitive though.

During Jack the Ripper he actually took his jacket off, revealing the concert t-shirt underneath. But its was so smoky it was hard to see. He put the jacket back on at the end of the song, before the smoke had cleared.

Absolutely smokin' version. Moz adds a lot of nice vocal effects during the instrumental parts (eg, around 2:20).

The rest of the show coming soon. Good night!

Top stuff doc.

í would be curious to know what he spritzes on his fizzog in the beginning.

Absolutely smokin' version. Moz adds a lot of nice vocal effects during the instrumental parts (eg, around 2:20).

The rest of the show coming soon. Good night!

I was very impressed with how they're playing HSIN on this tour. The friend who I went with to Toronto 2 (who is only a casual fan) also thought it sounded amazing. There was just something about it - more passion maybe.

During Jack the Ripper he actually took his jacket off, revealing the concert t-shirt underneath. But its was so smoky it was hard to see. He put the jacket back on at the end of the song, before the smoke had cleared.

Sometimes somebody gets a little trigger happy with the smoke machine. It was immaculate at RAH last year, but í seem to remember at the Palladium it felt a little like í was in a fireman's training exercise...

Thankfully, it looks like he's playing nothing off Who Ate Me Curry or Ringleader of the Tomatoes - two of the dreariest, most over-rated albums in pop history.

I would add that "Morning Starship" is a fantastic cover; one of my favorites. His voice was velvety and glorious.

As a vegetarian (and highly imperfect vegan) of almost thirty years I appreciate Morrissey's continued witnessing for the suffering of our fellow beasts. "The Bullfighter Dies" and its video accompaniment is one of the most Morrissey things ever: it is simultaneously heartbreaking and, when Morrissey points to the screen while the matador is gored and says "nobody cries" it's weirdly hilarious. This is performance art, and Morrissey fully inhabits this particularly intense and awkward space.

Thank You Anaesthesine; í'm glad that you had a fine time! And that siren call guided you to shore safely.

The 2018 iteration of "Jack the Ripper" at RAH and Palladium was, as í think í may have hinted at, ovary-shatteringly good {and í never had none to start with!} It seems like he knows he's onto a winner, as the Broadway version sounds similar. Did he roll up his sleeves at all? í seem to recall that was a crucial element in last year's version; í'll be damned if í can explain why, now. It was definitive though.

Last time í saw him do "Trouble Loves Me" was 5 years ago {Christ!} at the Santa Ana Observatory show, and í thought then that it was the finest version of the song í'd ever seen.

How did you feel toward "Seasick, yet Still Docked"? í would love to see him do that again. It's a very delicate jewel to set shining in a concert setting; venue and crowd dependent. í would have thought a Broadway theater would be perfect. When í have seen the song shine in the past, it is an uncanny joy, and one of those pleasures unique to Morrissey in Person.

í am familiar with the mid-set sag you speak of, and have always explained it away with that old standby "That's Moz" or, going a little deeper, his self-diagnosed "unlimited self-sabotage".

But, My Sweet Aunt, that final 5 song run to close the main set...í would have been on the floor with your overcome bald gentlemen friend! :)

As docinwestchester noted: Morrissey had his jacket slung over one arm during the song, bearing a bit of flesh. It was very, very effective. Jack the Ripper was, indeed, the killer song in the show.

Unfortunately, I was trying to determine whether the bald gentlemen next to me needed assistance during Seasick, so I missed out on that one. So it goes.

Morrissey's legendary self-sabotage continues (on so many levels, and it's a real shame). He's still my favorite singer, and when you stand before him listening to one of his many, many masterpieces, it washes over you, all over again, how astounding was his talent, and how pointless is his fall.

The man has done more good in the world than harm. I wish he would leave that balance alone.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom