new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits review)

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

Sorry I should have edited* my last post, it should have read that I don't believe that morrissey to be a saint-like figure on a crusade against all racist language, and trying to reclaim it all back. He has never struck me as that type of person. I'm also not saying that it was definitely intentional, as I can't read his mind. Even so, with that in mind, I still believe it is feasible that he could have used it with the intention of claiming it back. I can see what I am saying is slightly contradictory, I just didn't want people to think I believed Morrissey to be some holy nay slayer of 'racist' words.

* I won't edit it so it doesn't look like I'm backtracking and others can see the flow of the argument / debate.

I think that interpretation is unlikely, but each to their own and all that.

I'm tempted to edit mine though, I lost the ability to spell apparently :D

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

I'm sorry but that is exactly what you were saying.

The point is that he was saying something that is said day after day in the tabloids. He is not adding to a debate, he made deliberatley provoctive remarks to the NME without backing them up.

I did say clarify or apologise. And please don't turn this into a rebel-against-political-correctness-brigade thing, because it wont wash. A rebel is someone who stands up to the powerful not picks on the weak.

'Deliberatley provocative remarks' goes against what you said earlier when you said it was something he said without thinking. Also, he did back up his Knightsbridge comment in his press release after the NME interview. Of course, you don't have to agree with it, but he did back it up.

I'm not part of that brigade and yes, people who tend to do that, tend to be nasty people with a hidden agenda. I personally don't feel he is picking on immigrates, or the weak. He mourns the loss of a place he remembers and points to immigration as a cause or at least part of the cause. Maybe that place never really existed, but he has always mourned the loss of a great albion.

Also, he may not be adding anything new to the debate, but he is still contributing to it, regardless of what you think of his contribution. If he had said immigration is sustaining the British economy and if it was reduced significantly, the ecomony would collapse, that wouldn't be adding anything new to the debate either as that point of view, is already represented.

I think that interpretation is unlikely, but each to their own and all that.

I'm tempted to edit mine though, I lost the ability to spell apparently :D

It's 1 in the morning and I'm tired. Thanks for the debate though, was interesting. Plus I'm a slow typer. I'm off to bed.

My humble contribution:

Subject: questions to David Quantocks

Regarding his 'review' of Morrissey's Greatest Hits:

Was that a review of Morrissey's album or a review of Morrissey's personality?
How is that relevant to the quality of his music?
How are Morrissey's statements regarding immigration relevant?

Good enough for an editorial, but pretty daft for a review.

He was too busy enjoying his opportunity to stick the boot in to remember it was meant to be a review.

I believe in Karma.

I'll admit he was a bit overly aggressive... but, sadly, a large part of it, especially the first page,...is right. I think Ringleader was one of Mozzers' worst, just barely surpassing Southpaw. Boy Racer or even the admittedly catchy You Have killed Me hardly stack up against Suedehead, or November Spawned a Monster. His new numbers are cruder, louder, he does seem to be in a rut. The Greatest Hits package was redundant, and uninspiring. I love him, always will, but it's true.

I agree with the review at 63 %

I'll admit he was a bit overly aggressive... but, sadly, a large part of it, especially the first page,...is right. I think Ringleader was one of Mozzers' worst, just barely surpassing Southpaw. Boy Racer or even the admittedly catchy You Have killed Me hardly stack up against Suedehead, or November Spawned a Monster. His new numbers are cruder, louder, he does seem to be in a rut. The Greatest Hits package was redundant, and uninspiring. I love him, always will, but it's true.

Agreed.

And he's right - his band is shite. Woeful.

I'm being honest here, I love Moz, but I don't feel the need
to kiss his arse either. The man is human. And he makes some bad decisions like all of us. His band is one of them.

Just because he supports ONE black person, doesn't mean that he isn't racist.

That is absolutely correct. I think you have to be fair though and accept that the statement he made (allegedly) that immigration is changing the character of England is factually true as someone else posted. And there are different ways to interpret that statement than assuming that it means he is racist.

In his response to this he never really cleared up what he said and what he meant, and focused on the NME being a shit music paper. And really, when arguing you might as well go for the easy points.

But the racism thing doesn't work for me. It has nothing to do with Obama. He seems more anti-Hillary than pro-Obama anyway. Maybe he just hates women?

Anyway, back to the article, I found points that, though stated overly harshly, had some slight resemblance to certain elements of "the truth". I do think that people that find the whole thing to be completely unfounded are living some fantasy where defending Morrissey on every issue somehow makes him your friend. Still Morrissey has given most of us here so many hours of pleasure listening to his music, and it is easy to imagine some sort of personal connection with him, so I can't really blame those that side with him every time. Leave him alone, he was only singing.

That is absolutely correct. I think you have to be fair though and accept that the statement he made (allegedly) that immigration is changing the character of England is factually true as someone else posted. And there are different ways to interpret that statement than assuming that it means he is racist.

It's the old "b-b-but I've got friends who are black!" saw.

Anyway, back to the article, I found points that, though stated overly harshly, had some slight resemblance to certain elements of "the truth".

The comments on the band were somewhat accurate, and I found myself laughing at the line about "turned down low they sound like The Smiths". He went overboard in his slashing and burning, yes, but there's a kernel of truth in there. What he missed is that Morrissey has probably consciously avoided working with the strongest possible musicians not only for management but for artistic reasons. His voice has never been more foregrounded in the music, which I think is his intention. Quantick is like a scientist who wrongly interprets the right data. He is also, plainly, a dickhead.

You cannot apply logic with all people.

You should send them a angry email in support of Morrissey. I reckon that, like, they would really listen to you!

I think it's commode, but close enough.

I've always like Kermode, even if his name is the Geordie word for a temporary toilet, I like him even more now.

I read a very good article on The Guardian website shortly after the NME incident (the latest one I mean), that raised an excellent point. The England that Morrissey claims is disappearing doesn't exist anyway.

Here is the article -

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/12/morrissey_is_living_in_a_fanta.html

Thanks for scanning the article, Uncle. Great photo.

The writer is spewing stream-of-consciousness dislike for Morrissey (and being paid for it). He seems to really have it in for "the backing band". I could only bear to skim the paragraphs because it's such an awkward melding of impressions of the live shows, what's on the GH album and Morrissey's views on immigration.

And Morrissey has already been solo for two decades -- he's entering his third decade, hot shot.

I think it's commode, but close enough.

I know what it is, what I was doing there was taking the actual word and comparing it to the chap's name, I then applied a clause about the way somebody from Newcastle may pronounce it, for comedic effect. It was what is known, as a "joke".

'Deliberatley provocative remarks' goes against what you said earlier when you said it was something he said without thinking. Also, he did back up his Knightsbridge comment in his press release after the NME interview. Of course, you don't have to agree with it, but he did back it up.

I'm not part of that brigade and yes, people who tend to do that, tend to be nasty people with a hidden agenda. I personally don't feel he is picking on immigrates, or the weak. He mourns the loss of a place he remembers and points to immigration as a cause or at least part of the cause. Maybe that place never really existed, but he has always mourned the loss of a great albion.

Also, he may not be adding anything new to the debate, but he is still contributing to it, regardless of what you think of his contribution. If he had said immigration is sustaining the British economy and if it was reduced significantly, the ecomony would collapse, that wouldn't be adding anything new to the debate either as that point of view, is already represented.

Forgive me, I got caught between two thoughts. I intended to type, that to take your position he must have been conscious that these would be provocative statements, if he were reclaiming them etc. Not that this is my personal opinion, which I'll clarify as being what I previously referred to. He said something dumb and was too stubborn to back down.

I also understand your point about him mourning the loss of a mythic past, and he's not the only musician to do it, but to me these statements go beyond that.

As before I was expressing my personal feelings towards his comments, that for me they added nothing and were misguided at best and ugly and divisive at worst.

Last edited:

I know what it is, what I was doing there was taking the actual word and comparing it to the chap's name, I then applied a clause about the way somebody from Newcastle may pronounce it, for comedic effect. It was what is known, as a "joke".

I'm tempted to write you a strongly worded letter and maybe boycott your posts in retaliation for your 'jokes' We are here to defend Moz's honour here, not crack wise.

I'm tempted to write you a strongly worded letter and maybe boycott your posts in retaliation for your 'jokes' We are here to defend Moz's honour here, not crack wise.

I'm surprised that some people are still posting here, surely the negative opinions of Morrissey on one thread render the whole forum unreadable.

LET'S BURN SOME BOOKS!

I'm surprised that some people are still posting here, surely the negative opinions of Morrissey on one thread render the whole forum unreadable.

LET'S BURN SOME BOOKS!

Is there any way of hiding this forum behind the Radio Times forum to teach them a lesson? The world's going to hell in a handcart if you ask me...

He was too busy enjoying his opportunity to stick the boot in to remember it was meant to be a review.

That is so obvious. It really comes across as hate mail, not a review. Not one lick of nice/fairness. Completely biased. What happened to this guy between Kill Uncle (not that KU was a glowing review) and now? And what did Moz ever do to him? I'm surprised that such a nice photo ran with that piece. Obviously, he had nothing to do with that or it would have been all the guys on stage in a circle jerk.

Hmmmm. He really needed to let that out, didn't he? I wonder what else troubles him quite as much as Morrissey.

Really. Some of this hits the mark, but he didn't have to do it in such personal, vicious way. I will say that I really do miss Mobo's :confused: songs about those who don't belong here.....

Back
Top Bottom