New Wave

RB....it was like this one but thinner....I think it only had 36 "channels" too.
View attachment 16025

We did get that version that you posted but that came later. I think with the "dial" on the left you could flick between rows and get more channels. I wish I could remember the year my parents first got cable. I do recall we were one of the first in our 'hood to get it. I'm reading the MTV VJ book and they talk about videos airing at certain times and I swear the years are off. The Buggles was the first video aired.......do you know the artist who the 2nd video ever aired?

We were one of the first to get cable as well. Did you get Star Channel? That is where I learned all about the birds and the bees, haha. Wikipedia says the second video aired is Benatar's You Better Run. Sounds about right. I knew she made an early appearance.

I saw your post in the What's Everyone Reading At The Moment? thread about VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV's First Wave. And this post just reminded me that I want to read it as well... so... I just downloaded it and will be starting it tonight. Thanks. Maybe we will compare notes. :)

As for stereo equipment, I remember my brother had this Sony tape deck
View attachment 16026
I used to listen to the Clash "This Is Radio Clash" and would be mesmerized by the levels pumping in beat to the bass :guitar:

:)

I remember thinking how edgy and political that was at the time and how Bob Dylan was a boring old git. Ah, the foolishness of youth.

Heaven 17 were named after a band mentioned in A Clockwork Orange. They were an off shoot of a pre-Dare Human League.

This was their biggest hit...

Last edited by a moderator:
We were one of the first to get cable as well. Did you get Star Channel? That is where I learned all about the birds and the bees, haha. Wikipedia says the second video aired is Benatar's You Better Run. Sounds about right. I knew she made an early appearance.

I saw your post in the What's Everyone Reading At The Moment? thread about VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV's First Wave. And this post just reminded me that I want to read it as well... so... I just downloaded it and will be starting it tonight. Thanks. Maybe we will compare notes. :)

:)
It was said Pat B. video.

All I can say is "SWOON".....the neck bandana is all it took.
Screen shot 2013-07-30 at 10.25.49 PM.png

It was said Pat B. video.

All I can say is "SWOON".....the neck bandana is all it took.
View attachment 16028

Martha is cute! Wish I could claim that one or more of the male VJs tickled my fancy. But, as I am certain you will agree, they weren't exactly candy for the eyes. I suppose some would find Alan Hunter to be a hottie. But he wasn't my cup of tea. He reminds me of Howard Jones. Can you see it?

gal-mtv-cast-members-jpg.jpg

Howard-Jones-12ers-Vol-2-158399.jpg

Martha is cute! Wish I could claim that one or more of the male VJs tickled my fancy. But, as I am certain you will agree, they weren't exactly candy for the eyes. I suppose some would find Alan Hunter to be a hottie. But he wasn't my cup of tea. He reminds me of Howard Jones. Can you see it?

gal-mtv-cast-members-jpg.jpg

Howard-Jones-12ers-Vol-2-158399.jpg

Funny....I can see the resemblance!

How about this one?

^^^ I remember that one!

Started reading the book last night. I like how all the chapters have lyrics for titles. Already I am feeling fully swathed in nostalgia. Lovin' it.

I also like how you can jump around a bit. I was scrolling through the chapter titles and decided to open up Things Can Only Get Better. So I'm reading along... and then... there it WAS right there on the page... CONFIRMATION, the fourth page in, bottom right corner...

9410313246_033314b9a0_c.jpg

Hahahaha!

Here is a song to celebrate my fine observational skills :p...

^^^ I remember that one!

Started reading the book last night. I like how all the chapters have songs for titles. Already I am feeling fully swathed in nostalgia. Lovin' it.

I also like how you can jump around a bit. I was scrolling through the chapter titles and decided to open up Things Can Only Get Better. So I'm reading along... and then... there it WAS right there on the page... CONFIRMATION, the fourth page in, bottom right corner...

9410313246_033314b9a0_c.jpg

Hahahaha!

Here is a song to celebrate my fine observational skills :p...

Just read that the other night.....classic!

Just read that the other night.....classic!

Yeah! :)

Here is my absolute favorite New Wave track. It is one of my fave songs actually... still...

In German...

There is an English version. But it pales in comparison to the original German one.

It doesn't matter what he is saying. This song is all about mood. The chorus is haunting, melancholic, and beautiful... all at once.

A lot of posts listed here I'm not sure were regarded as "New Wave" but I'm no Lester Bangs so what do I know. Two that I think were (and think rad as hell):

^^^ Great tunes. Devo hailed from my hometown, Akron, Ohio.

From the research I have been doing over the last few days, I have concluded, that yes, New Wave is a poorly defined genre... or is it? Apparently one scholar, Theodore Cateforis, has tackled the subject and written a go-to-book on this genre: Are We Not New Wave?: Modern Pop at the Turn of the 1980s. Too bad it is a bit pricey at forty-five bucks for the hardback and twenty for the eBook. :eek: Here is a nice review of the book.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The term "New Wave" as I understand it was mostly relegated to an Americana-centric view of the music scene. Bands like The Talking Heads, B-52's, Blondie, Devo,The Cars for example. One exception at the time was Elvis Costello and The Attractions. Brit bands that became popular here in the States at the time were tossed under the 2nd Invasion label. No matter what the labels it was a welcome change from what dominated the radio in those days.

The term "New Wave" as I understand it was mostly relegated to an Americana-centric view of the music scene. Bands like The Talking Heads, B-52's, Blondie, Devo,The Cars for example. One exception at the time was Elvis Costello and The Attractions. Brit bands that became popular here in the States at the time were tossed under the 2nd Invasion label. No matter what the labels it was a welcome change from what dominated the radio in those days.

Agree. Unfortunately, what came after was horrific... hair bands! Thanks goodness Soundgarden, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam soon arrived on the scene to displace those buffoons in spandex.

Your from Akron Realitybites .......... Cool !!!!!! Love the city but goodness how the downtown died after 6 pm. Remember the Mayflower hotel (or was it a flop house) that was next to the old Polskys Dept store ? I would have to cross downtown, walking, to get to a house I lived in near the childrens hospital / cemetary area. I taught school ( a few years ) there and could have bent you or your kids minds just a bit .... Sorry !

Last edited:
Interesting to see how differently the term "new wave" is seen in different places. To me it is quite absurd to call PSB new wave - they are much too late for one thing, also musically totally remote. In fact, most of the names in this thread I would call simply "pop music". In the US, it seems it is commonly used to describe the wave of mainly british pop music that washed over america through mtv in the early 80s. In Norway at least, it is more or less synonymous with "post punk", and has clear connotations to music of a somewhat experimental bent. You could use it about Adam and the Ants, but certainly not about OMD. Also, it was really only used around the trn of the decade, by 1983 it was already obsolete as a description of current music.

So...what's the difference between New wave and New romantic?

- - - Updated - - -

The term "New Wave" as I understand it was mostly relegated to an Americana-centric view of the music scene. Bands like The Talking Heads, B-52's, Blondie, Devo,The Cars for example. One exception at the time was Elvis Costello and The Attractions.

Yeah, that's my view of it too.

Interesting to see how differently the term "new wave" is seen in different places. To me it is quite absurd to call PSB new wave - they are much too late for one thing, also musically totally remote. In fact, most of the names in this thread I would call simply "pop music". In the US, it seems it is commonly used to describe the wave of mainly british pop music that washed over america through mtv in the early 80s. In Norway at least, it is more or less synonymous with "post punk", and has clear connotations to music of a somewhat experimental bent. You could use it about Adam and the Ants, but certainly not about OMD. Also, it was really only used around the trn of the decade, by 1983 it was already obsolete as a description of current music.
First, I should disclose that to create this list I just made a text file of my "New Wave" playlist on my mp3 player and yes, many bands are missing from it, also some are questionable :o
however, there was a long history to my methodology, see, for years, I had a a "terabyte" drive which I just acquired all sorts of music, usually on then request of
people at our "house parties" and so, through time, I learned to just add bands like PSB & OMD among others, because who liked "New Wave" and its subgenre of "New Romantic" liked those bands among others :o
sadly, I often only heard howls of disapproval when my massive "genre playlist" kicked in with a song by "The Cars" or "Devo"
two bands I love :eek: turns out though that seemingly everybody loves their songs covered by young girls, ie
Devo 2.0 & West End Girls :p

"Teaching point"
Recently I learned that my "natural instinct" to co-locate things(music, words, history) is quite valuable as a teaching methodology
so no, I aint gonna quit doing this :lbf:

Back
Top Bottom