New Video - All You Need Is Me

Believe me …
I like him
I luv him to pieces
And I would certainly miss him sumthin’ awful if he ever went anywhere
BUT …

There’s GOT to be more to music video making than grabbing some fan, handing him a camera and then shooting on the grounds of the hotel you’re staying in.

I just refuse to fawn over every single thing Morrissey does simply because he’s Morrissey.

I know I’m not making many friends here with my thoughts on the subject but it is one I’m passionate about. I’m an old film school nerd and my desire to be a director (a music video director specifically) is what led me out here to la-LA-land 20+ years ago in the first place.

And where am I now? No, I’m not a director. A fine case of fear of failure coupled with a severe lack of confidence squashed that dream. But I do work in the biz (visual efx producer) and I’ve worked on many a music video. I did direct and edit a music video once for an ex-boyfriend’s band which I’ll never post here or anywhere because it’s every bit of a piece of shit that anyone could imagine.

Having said all that (and self-deprecation aside), I still think I’ve come up with a better concept for a video for “All You Need Is Me.” Anyone care to hear or have I overstayed my welcome? (she ever so humbly asks :))

Disclaimer: I’m blaming all the above comments on a pair of balls I found lying around and some good ol’ liquid courage. :D

It's embarrassing when you recommend Morrissey to a friend, and that friends looks him up on YouTube and finds crap like this video.
That's the scenario that went through my head when I watched it:o: "I think I wouldn't show this to the little bro' (not that he would hate him for it, but still).

Maybe we'll learn the answer on July 25th. :guitar:

poster-xfiles2.jpg

Yay, it comes to theaters right before I leave the country - I'm sure that won't detract from packing.:rolleyes::gun:

We'll learn the answer to nothing, and you know it.
But we will gleefully lap it up just the same. (Speaking of Morrissey videos...)

I actually like the video for "Dagenham Dave." When he walks into the pub and tosses one of the billiard balls across the table. That made me chuckle...

There were a few gems in those REM albums you mentioned, but yeah painful. By the way, how is the new album?

The new REM album is rockin'. Very good indeed. Compared to Reveal (I didn't buy Around The Sun), it's a similar leap in energy, enthusiasm & quality as Your Arsenal is to Kill Uncle.

That Dagenham Dave video is quite funny but I really can't listen to that song without wincing at how bad the lyrics are. The Boy Racer video is good too. Especially for the the two Eastenders actresses in it. I used to fancy Nicola Stapleton something rotten.

Believe me …
I like him
I luv him to pieces
And I would certainly miss him sumthin’ awful if he ever went anywhere
BUT …

There’s GOT to be more to music video making than grabbing some fan, handing him a camera and then shooting on the grounds of the hotel you’re staying in.

I just refuse to fawn over every single thing Morrissey does simply because he’s Morrissey.

I know I’m not making many friends here with my thoughts on the subject but it is one I’m passionate about. I’m an old film school nerd and my desire to be a director (a music video director specifically) is what led me out here to la-LA-land 20+ years ago in the first place.

And where am I now? No, I’m not a director. A fine case of fear of failure coupled with a severe lack of confidence squashed that dream. But I do work in the biz (visual efx producer) and I’ve worked on many a music video. I did direct and edit a music video once for an ex-boyfriend’s band which I’ll never post here or anywhere because it’s every bit of a piece of shit that anyone could imagine.

Having said all that (and self-deprecation aside), I still think I’ve come up with a better concept for a video for “All You Need Is Me.” Anyone care to hear or have I overstayed my welcome? (she ever so humbly asks :))

Disclaimer: I’m blaming all the above comments on a pair of balls I found lying around and some good ol’ liquid courage. :D

lol, you could just have said you thought the video was poor...I don't think you're alone in thinking that. For the most part, we don't fawn either :p

Believe me …

Go for it!
Does your concept include trains? I like videos with trains in them. :o

lol, you could just have said you thought the video was poor...I don't think you're alone in thinking that. For the most part, we don't fawn either :p

It's just that I was bit more frank in my opinion a few pages ago and I don't think that it was all that well received. Oh well. :o

Go for it!
Does your concept include trains? I like videos with trains in them. :o

Hmmm, it doesn't at the moment but I could certainly try to work them in. :) You know, Freud might have something to say about that desire. ;)

Here goes ...

First of all, I’m not promising this to be some ground-breaking, never-seen-before music video manifesto. In fact, I will reference other videos already done that I would borrow heavily from. I just think that this idea would be better suited to the song … that’s all.

Being that AYNIM is directed at all of “us,” meaning the whole collective – the fans, the haters, the critics, the record company execs, tour promoters, the paps & tabloids, youtube, www, etc., I would use all that media as a backdrop for the video. The look would be similar to other more two-dimensional, graphic-y videos such as Franz Ferdinand “Take Me Out,” U2 “Window in the Skies,”, even Modest Mouse “Float On” ... think Monty Python Flying Circus animation. I see bits and pieces of mag articles spanning his career (the good and the bad) being pieced together and animated. I see Morrissey as a frozen image captured in a photograph in an article and then coming to life, animated singing the lyrics to AYNIM. I see some of dicarwritght’s photoshop composites, show posters that fans & promoters have made with Moz coming to life and singing in 2D form. Moz’s image on the face of the 10pk LA Palladium tix for instance cut with clips on youtube of the countless bootleg recordings of the song. Marquis signs, pap photos, tattoos, the bday wishes we make using Moz’s image holding a bday cake … I’m being pretty stream-of-conscious here at this point but I think you get the idea.

All of Morrissey’s performance would be animated, very 2D and graphic like which would allow us to see him singing this song in the years spanning his career.

For the “You don’t like me but you love me either way you’re wrong” closing section (is this a bridge of some sort? I’m not that musically literate). This part would be the only true live performance section of the video. I can’t decide if the band is there or not … what I do see is the 2D Moz transitioning into 3D Moz. I see a black void with the news articles, youtube clips and other media becoming a backdrop behind him. In other words, he lifts and separates from the flat background and everything looks now like it’s in a room … a black stage with animated backgrounds “projected” on the black walls behind him. I know the look of this has been done before but for the life of me I couldn’t think or find a reference.

As he sings about us missing him when he’s gone, the backgrounds start to fade away until there’s nothing left but a black void and Moz alone in it. With the last “You’re gonna miss me when I’m gone ….” He fades away into the darkness. We’re left with a black frame.

Perhaps the ending is a bit too literal but in my head I kinda like it. I’m not so sure I’m painting a picture here. I’ve honestly never written a music video treatment before. Am I making sense to anyone?

This is all just my opinion obviously. I just love the medium of the music video and I’m sad to see that it’s degenerated to a mere shell of the art form it used to be.

Who gives a shit about the video?

I only watch The Hills 24/7 on Mtv anyway.

:horny:

Hmmm, it doesn't at the moment but I could certainly try to work them in. :) You know, Freud might have something to say about that desire. ;)

It doesn't take Freud to work out why I like trains & planes & such. It's cos I've gotta get out of this damned town!

Music videos have always had the potential to be a great art form without ever quite reaching the heights. I could probably only name a dozen or so videos that are really worthwhile.

PS: I once wrote a synopsis for the whole of Southpaw Grammar in film form. It would make a great movie.

I got in very late last night (this morning), watched the video a few times and then fell asleep.

I dreamed about the damn thing over and over - Morrissey and the fellas cavorting in a garden. I have to say I like the lightheartedness of it - a very simple simple video for a pretty simple song.

Morrissey looks happy, his band looks happy, the garden looks lovely (I had a laugh at that vault over the drums). It's not profound, but it's a good time. God, Morrissey is such a tease. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope he does a video for "Something is Squeezing My Skull," now that had better be high concept...

It's just that I was bit more frank in my opinion a few pages ago and I don't think that it was all that well received. Oh well. :o

Here goes ...

First of all, I’m not promising this to be some ground-breaking, never-seen-before music video manifesto. In fact, I will reference other videos already done that I would borrow heavily from. I just think that this idea would be better suited to the song … that’s all.

Being that AYNIM is directed at all of “us,” meaning the whole collective – the fans, the haters, the critics, the record company execs, tour promoters, the paps & tabloids, youtube, www, etc., I would use all that media as a backdrop for the video. The look would be similar to other more two-dimensional, graphic-y videos such as Franz Ferdinand “Take Me Out,” U2 “Window in the Skies,”, even Modest Mouse “Float On” ... think Monty Python Flying Circus animation. I see bits and pieces of mag articles spanning his career (the good and the bad) being pieced together and animated. I see Morrissey as a frozen image captured in a photograph in an article and then coming to life, animated singing the lyrics to AYNIM. I see some of dicarwritght’s photoshop composites, show posters that fans & promoters have made with Moz coming to life and singing in 2D form. Moz’s image on the face of the 10pk LA Palladium tix for instance cut with clips on youtube of the countless bootleg recordings of the song. Marquis signs, pap photos, tattoos, the bday wishes we make using Moz’s image holding a bday cake … I’m being pretty stream-of-conscious here at this point but I think you get the idea.

All of Morrissey’s performance would be animated, very 2D and graphic like which would allow us to see him singing this song in the years spanning his career.

For the “You don’t like me but you love me either way you’re wrong” closing section (is this a bridge of some sort? I’m not that musically literate). This part would be the only true live performance section of the video. I can’t decide if the band is there or not … what I do see is the 2D Moz transitioning into 3D Moz. I see a black void with the news articles, youtube clips and other media becoming a backdrop behind him. In other words, he lifts and separates from the flat background and everything looks now like it’s in a room … a black stage with animated backgrounds “projected” on the black walls behind him. I know the look of this has been done before but for the life of me I couldn’t think or find a reference.

As he sings about us missing him when he’s gone, the backgrounds start to fade away until there’s nothing left but a black void and Moz alone in it. With the last “You’re gonna miss me when I’m gone ….” He fades away into the darkness. We’re left with a black frame.

Perhaps the ending is a bit too literal but in my head I kinda like it. I’m not so sure I’m painting a picture here. I’ve honestly never written a music video treatment before. Am I making sense to anyone?

This is all just my opinion obviously. I just love the medium of the music video and I’m sad to see that it’s degenerated to a mere shell of the art form it used to be.

First of all, thanks for posting this. It's got some very interesting ideas. I like the use of all the imagery because Morrissey is nothing if not heavily image-conscious, and so are the fans. Seeing all those elements together would be fun and maybe even breathtaking, and wholly appropriate for a Greatest Hits single like this. (What about the mysterious symbols on the recent sleeves? Any way of incorporating them?) I like also that you have the video shifting into 3D at the end with the live performance. You're right, the song takes a turn there which your video would catch properly.

You do realize that you could probably edit this video yourself and post it on YouTube, right? Even the live footage must exist somewhere, and who knows, even if you have to use bootleg-quality video it might reinforce the sense that we're watching a fan's perspective.

I wanted to add that I thought your post was fascinating for another reason, and I should stress I say the following with all due respect and not in any disparaging way whatsoever.

You said, "I will reference other videos already done that I would borrow heavily from", mentioning U2, Franz Ferdinand and Modest Mouse, even Monty Python. Near the end of your post you include this very telling line, "I know the look of this has been done before but for the life of me I couldn’t think or find a reference".

Those are fair comments to make. The video you've proposed is both good and a little derivative (of course, it's hard to say how derivative now, because once you work on it you might discover new and interesting layers to explore). Because the video would, as I say, look good and at the same time remind the viewer of other bands' videos (even if the reference is unknown or vague), it is actually a mark of distinction from every other band's videos that Morrissey's clips (this one as well as his others, of which this latest is unmistakably kin) are content to be so simple and uncomplicated.

I was attempting to say this above, actually: the clip is refreshingly clear of any high concept ideas without seeming for a moment that Morrissey disdains the medium. He and the director reduced everything to the most basic possible dynamic-- Morrissey and band lip-syncing to the song at a location shoot-- which is completely in line with Morrissey's long-standing mistrust of high-concept videos and his 25-year old insistence, from The Smiths to his latest outfit, on the beauty of the stripped-down, four- or five-piece pop band with nothing more powerful to offer than songs (which, of course, turned out to be everything or, as he says in the single, "all we need"). The video's strength is more in what it isn't.

As soon as the step is taken into some kind of "concept", no matter how small or brilliant that step is, the video leaps into competition with every other video in the marketplace. With "Irish Blood, English Heart", for example, the mere placement of the band in a warehouse surrounded by a congregation of Morrissey apostles wasn't a bad idea-- actually I think the video is OK-- but that choice immediately makes it an interpretable piece of film. It becomes "interesting" for reasons not endemic to the song. And the video is swept away to be swallowed forever into the vast ocean of MTV-land. A video like AYNIM is an affront-- a polite, urbane, well-meaning affront-- to every other video in its vicinity.

But it's equally hard to avoid concepts and go naked, as it were. The classic example, in my opinion, of how even the most basic footage becomes "narrative film" in the hands of a concept director is New Order's "The Perfect Kiss", shot by Jonathan Demme. All Demme did was film New Order recording a live take of the song in the studio. The clip moves from band member to band member, patiently and methodically capturing each snap of the drum, press of a key, or strumming of a guitar string. There is no story other than the band playing the song, yet immediately it's clear that it's an incredibly stylized video, hardly a case of "just a guy with a camera in a studio".

Most, if not all, of Morrissey's videos act as placeholders rather than discrete works of art. They're videos that aren't "videos" as we know them (with the exception of one or two that are admittedly pretty conventional). Most are basic performance pieces. There are several that use characters or some kind of "story", like "Interesting Drug", but these are pretty much transparent collages of images-- or brief, amusing sketches-- all pointing back to Morrissey. But not to the video Morrissey. Instead, the videos point outside themselves to the Morrissey of your stereo or iPod or the Morrissey of the live performances, because it's there, and not inside your TV, that the truly great pop moments occur.

They look like they were made on a dime yet made in good faith-- almost as if put together by someone whose sensibility was totally alien to MTV who was also, strangely, uncynical about MTV, too. That is, not disdainful of the medium, as were some bands like The Replacements, who I mentioned in another post. They all convey exactly the right amount of distance between Morrissey and MTV: enough to make him stand apart, not enough to make us think he doesn't covet mass appeal. Most of his career choices are in the same vein, none easier to see than his loathing of the pop charts side by side with a desire for hit singles. The pose-- and it is a pose-- is that of a pop star eager to play the pop star game but not quite sure of how to do it. The studied, self-deprecating, rudimentary quality of many of his videos is his way of winking to the fans as if to say, "What's this? How does this work?"

Same with comments about how he doesn't use computers or dislikes air travel and has no elaborate stage shows and all the rest. The total effect of all these hints Morrissey drops is to give us a picture of a legend who is proudly and defiantly anachronistic. A throwback. A cheerful luddite. A matinee idol who would've made more sense 50 years ago but now, in this brave new world, looks slightly uncomfortable with and even embarrassed by the demands of the modern marketplace. As I said, a pose: a pose he has always cultivated and which this video artfully captures.

Last edited:
It's such a funny video. Morrissey looks fruity, his face keeps being filmed from the same angle. It's all very awkward, very dada.

Thanks for posting that link. Actually, reading it made me like the video more b/c now it has more personality for me. :o It seems appropriate that a fan filmed it, given the subject matter of the song. I figured there had to be something like that going on here - there was no way they had a storyboard and hired a big crew for that. I love that they called the guy the day before and as a result didn't give him a chance to think too hard about it before doing it. :D

I don't really care much for videos one way or the other, so Morrissey would have to basically make an epic movie for me to be truly impressed I think, but as far as videos go I like this one a lot (except for his shirt). It looks like exactly what it is, Moz and the boys fooling around and having a good time. I'm just relieved to know they didn't put a huge amount of effort into trying to make it look like that.

It's the basic punk DIY aesthetic. Bring in an amateur, shoot it really quickly and cheaply, spend very little money on it.

I can see how it would annoy some people who are used to videos as slick adverts or pseudo "works of art", but it's really in keeping with Morrissey's aesthetic. It grates because people just aren't used to this attitude from artists any more.

All new stuff?

Can we pleas put all the new songs and links to youtube in one thread?

There are so much info and it´s not easy to get the overlook for someone that has been away for some time.

So all new songs and vids here:

doney, no doubt you could make a killer video for Morrissey. I hope he calls you someday :)

In case anyone missed Anaesthesine's post on the main boards... I agree with what she says (below). She's always been a voice of reason :)

If Morrissey took this song and video too seriously it would fall flat on it's face and be very unpleasant indeed. It's a silly, teasing (and accurate) song, and a lighthearted promo.

There will be more serious things to come, I'm sure, and then people will complain that he should lighten up...

Worm, thank you for commenting on my post and offering your thoughts and insights (always well articulated I might add). I’m always a little nervous to go out on a limb on this site for fear of being too beaten down (or even worse … ignored). This is the first forum I’ve ever participated in so I’m a little sketchy on proper behavior and “rules.” So again, thanks for responding.

Your having explained your logic behind the stripped-downess of Morrissey’s videos does now make a lot of sense to me. Your last paragraph was down right epiphanic. I’d never thought of Morrissey’s view of the modern world in that way or how he views his, as you said, anachronistic place in it. Very well said.

I still think it could be interesting for him to step outside the box and make a “hi-concept” video simply because it would be unexpected. Perhaps an old dog (and I of course mean that in the most endearing way) could toss us a new trick, if only once, just because he can. I think AYNIM would have been the perfect platform for that since it’s the very aspects of the modern world he disdains that have forcefully spread him thinly across every part of it. It could have been his jab at all of us by diving into the very thick of it, just once.

I would love to take a stab at making the video I have in my head. But to properly execute it, I would need to recruit the free help of some animator friends. It’s a possibility though I’m not holding my breath. And hmmm, how on earth would I get Morrissey in that studio for the end? :D I’m used to dreaming big and not doing anything about it. It’s the Pisces in me unfortunately. :o

doney, no doubt you could make a killer video for Morrissey. I hope he calls you someday :)

Should I post my cell just in case? ;):D

Back
Top Bottom