New Video - All You Need Is Me

We'll see how much he laughs when AYNIM fails to chart.

oh don't say that, it will chart. The video is not as bad as all that. I mean it is the same format of the lads following him (tomorrow, I have forgiven jesus) which is a bit lazy but its bright and breezy, Morrissey looks well. I do like it, do you really hate it then?

Interesting (and positive) take on it -- never thought of it that way.

You know, with this being the fourth or fifth video of Morrissey's where the band is shown following him, I'm beginning to think it's a Pied Piper reference!

That's very true.

Before MTV, bands used something known as "promotional films" of them doing their latest single to be used for guest appearences on variety shows and such when the band wasn't available to appear live. These films still exist and they are wonderful and have a timeless quality to them i.e. singing outside, perhaps with people sitting around, and the band goofing off. I'm thinking specifically of films I've seen like Martha and the Vandellas, the Beatles (of course), and the Beach Boys. You can sometimes see small samples of these films on those Sounds of the Decade-type infomercials.

This "video" follows that kind of style that a young Morrissey would have seen on his favorite music shows.

Morrissey based on what he has said in the past is not interested in promoting the music video and all its innovations, use of animations, techniques or whatever as an art form in itself. Why would he?

Material was the usual morrissey-esque cool, but the editing was absolutely horrible. A five-year-old could do better. No timing, no rhythm.

So, plus for 'my eyes!' colours and silliness, especially the dive, minus for the scabby handiwork.

You think there's that strong a link between video and music sales? If that were true, Bjork, with all the work put into her videos, would be outselling Mozzer 100:1, which she's not.

Mozzer trying to contain his laughter, cost: free, frink value (so I've read): priceless.

Yes, I think in general music videos and television performances increase album sales. That's their whole purpose. I rarely watch MTV (once every couple years). The last time I did, I stumbled onto the video for "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers, and I totally loved the song. It sounded so 80's. So, I went out and bought their first album. I cannot see this example being isolated to me alone. Oh God, is it?:)

I think it's the production values, or lack thereof, which some of us bemoan. Look, at this point my musical arrangement with Morrissey is like a marriage: I'm sticking with him through better or worse. So again, another video of him and the lads walking around lip syncing to a rocker of a tune. I'm a die hard so whatever, it's not going to affect my purchase of the single, or new album, or Southpaw Remastered. Those purchases are all guaranteed. However, I can't help be left with the lingering notion if only he'd have taken videos more seriously, I think he would have a justifiable case for his music not charting higher. Which I bring up because Morrissey ALWAYS brings up.:)

Aww I'm laughing with happyness, I ADORE this man......... :D :sweet: This song is just awesome, can't get enough of it! :guitar:

I like it. He looks good. The band looks good. Neither the video or the single will make the slightest murmur in the marketplace but his defiance of convention is always duly and dearly noted.

I like it. He looks good. The band looks good. Neither the video or the single will make the slightest murmur in the marketplace but his defiance of convention is always duly and dearly noted.

you think he's defying convention by walkin' round in a nice agnona v neck knit?

solomons defying indie rock conventions with that chiselled physique of his... dayum.

We Hate It When Our Friends make a similar video and just add a tambourine...

wait...I think he used a tambourine in an older video...Pregnant For The Last Time?

Last edited:
I agree that TV performances (Ross, Letterman etc.) do have an effect (this was especially true during the Quarry "comeback" era), but I honestly don't think music videos do.

I also agree that Morrissey cares oh so very much about charts. I'm being positive and think it'll crack the top 20, maybe even 15.

Yes, I think in general music videos and television performances increase album sales. That's their whole purpose. I rarely watch MTV (once every couple years). The last time I did, I stumbled onto the video for "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers, and I totally loved the song. It sounded so 80's. So, I went out and bought their first album. I cannot see this example being isolated to me alone. Oh God, is it?:)

I think it's the production values, or lack thereof, which some of us bemoan. Look, at this point my musical arrangement with Morrissey is like a marriage: I'm sticking with him through better or worse. So again, another video of him and the lads walking around lip syncing to a rocker of a tune. I'm a die hard so whatever, it's not going to affect my purchase of the single, or new album, or Southpaw Remastered. Those purchases are all guaranteed. However, I can't help be left with the lingering notion if only he'd have taken videos more seriously, I think he would have a justifiable case for his music not charting higher. Which I bring up because Morrissey ALWAYS brings up.:)

Probably a topic worth its own thread, but there have been changes in Morrissey's lyrics from all his time spent in the US, both in terms of vocab and pronunciation (or enunciation perhaps).

I still think "welfare house" sounds wank, though. Much prefer "council house". It's a cultural thing, I suppose.

you think he's defying convention by walkin' round in a nice agnona v neck knit?

solomons defying indie rock conventions with that chiselled physique of his... dayum.

Yes, I do. Convention means hamming it up in some stupid video with props, sets, and costumes. How many artists apparently hire a cameraman for about one hour of shooting and just walk around lip-syncing in a garden? I mean, it doesn't even look like he left the recording studio.

And yet, it's not even "low-fi" cool, parading its gritty indie quality in every frame. For instance, in another thread, I mentioned The Replacements' "Bastards of Young" as one of the greatest videos of all time. It's just a camera filming a stereo speaker while the song plays. It epitomizes a no-budget video, but in its twisted way it's still "high concept". They're flaunting their indie cred. Morrissey isn't even doing that. He just filmed himself lip-syncing with his band. That is highly unconventional in my opinion.

Yes, I do. Convention means hamming it up in some stupid video with props, sets, and costumes. How many artists apparently hire a cameraman for about one hour of shooting and just walk around lip-syncing in a garden? I mean, it doesn't even look like he left the recording studio.

And yet, it's not even "low-fi" cool, parading its gritty indie quality in every frame. For instance, in another thread, I mentioned The Replacements' "Bastards of Young" as one of the greatest videos of all time. It's just a camera filming a stereo speaker while the song plays. It epitomizes a no-budget video, but in its twisted way it's still "high concept". They're flaunting their indie cred. Morrissey isn't even doing that. He just filmed himself lip-syncing with his band. That is highly unconventional in my opinion.

But he looks GREAT doing it :horny: ;)

Back
Top Bottom