New Video - All You Need Is Me

I believe he probably got bored of making videoclips. the very last good one was The Youngest Was The Most Loved. then only low budget weak artistic clips, or just live versions.
still, great song, great man!

God, what an awful/awkward video. If you had that little money to make a video you would definatley exercise your creative skills, as appose to this drivel.

I can't believe that such a bad video could crop up after the very stylish and clever ROTT-era videos.

And I must say, this is the absolute gayest I have ever seen him. How much foundation is he wearing? Does his top have faux bullet holes?

"November Spawned a Monster" just called.
It's overwrought with sorrow after hearing you said that "All You Need Is Me" is gayer than it.
You should apologize before any rock formations are molested in a fit of rage, sadness, and betrayal.

November Spawned A Monster shows Morrissey in his trademark, classic gay persona. However, this video portrays him as a camp butch fifty year old man who wears tye-dye and pouts alot!

"November Spawned a Monster" just called.
It's overwrought with sorrow after hearing you said that "All You Need Is Me" is gayer than it.
You should apologize before any rock formations are molested in a fit of rage, sadness, and betrayal.

This made my day and it's only just begun.

I got pretty excited when Boz said they recorded a video for this. Like others, I am a bit disappointed in the final product. I know it was done on a budget and it was done for fun I just didn't get too excited. It was good to see him, he looks good, but the video was a disapointment.

Worm, thank you for commenting on my post and offering your thoughts and insights (always well articulated I might add). I’m always a little nervous to go out on a limb on this site for fear of being too beaten down (or even worse … ignored). This is the first forum I’ve ever participated in so I’m a little sketchy on proper behavior and “rules.” So again, thanks for responding.

Your having explained your logic behind the stripped-downess of Morrissey’s videos does now make a lot of sense to me. Your last paragraph was down right epiphanic. I’d never thought of Morrissey’s view of the modern world in that way or how he views his, as you said, anachronistic place in it. Very well said.

I still think it could be interesting for him to step outside the box and make a “hi-concept” video simply because it would be unexpected. Perhaps an old dog (and I of course mean that in the most endearing way) could toss us a new trick, if only once, just because he can. I think AYNIM would have been the perfect platform for that since it’s the very aspects of the modern world he disdains that have forcefully spread him thinly across every part of it. It could have been his jab at all of us by diving into the very thick of it, just once.

I would love to take a stab at making the video I have in my head. But to properly execute it, I would need to recruit the free help of some animator friends. It’s a possibility though I’m not holding my breath. And hmmm, how on earth would I get Morrissey in that studio for the end? :D I’m used to dreaming big and not doing anything about it. It’s the Pisces in me unfortunately. :o

Thanks for the nice words.

A good concept video is possible, I guess. I'd wager, though, that if you saw a full-blown concept video of a Morrissey track you'd probably end up understanding why he doesn't do them. The closest we have is the Sire video for "How Soon Is Now?" Doesn't that seem totally out of character?

Definitely try your video, or something like it in your, um, budget range. Put it on YouTube. Trust me, it can't be any worse than the usual homemade stuff people do on YouTube, and yours actually sounds interesting. And yeah, maybe your cell will ring one morning. Doesn't sound like Patrick O'Dell's career plans called for directing music videos-- until he got a call one day.

I watched AYNIM at last. I was a little afraid after reading the comments. But thank God, I liked it! :) It's not going to be my favorite video, but I liked it. It didn't remind me of "Tomorrow" though. I especially loved the last few seconds :). I like that the video looks so deliberately homemade... And I am glad that it is not another "live" video. Still I wish he made another real video, with a story, like "Youngest"... It was a great video and not so long ago...
P.S. Morrissey looks good as always, but he should fire his makeup artist!
no.gif
:D

Thanks for the nice words.

A good concept video is possible, I guess. I'd wager, though, that if you saw a full-blown concept video of a Morrissey track you'd probably end up understanding why he doesn't do them. The closest we have is the Sire video for "How Soon Is Now?" Doesn't that seem totally out of character?

I actually have always loved the video for HSIN, partly for nostalgic reasons since it was the first time I’d ever seen the Smiths (or shadowy semblances thereof) and it was the song/video that first sucked me into being a fan all those years ago. But I also loved the style of it … the scratchy film, the smokestacks, the girl in the red beret, the repeat cuts, the fact that I couldn’t really make out what the band looked like. Of course a video like that would look awfully dated today. Having said that though, all style seems to come back around again eventually so who knows. HSIN is not the only concept the Smiths did however. Also in the same vein are Derek Jarman's videos for The Queen Is Dead, Panic & There Is a Light … are all art school concepty cool.

Definitely try your video, or something like it in your, um, budget range. Put it on YouTube. Trust me, it can't be any worse than the usual homemade stuff people do on YouTube, and yours actually sounds interesting. And yeah, maybe your cell will ring one morning. Doesn't sound like Patrick O'Dell's career plans called for directing music videos-- until he got a call one day.

Very true … I’m actually feeling inspired. And I appreciate the words of encouragement. If I do end up putting something together I’ll certainly let you know. Look for a PM in say … 6 months? :)

I actually have always loved the video for HSIN, partly for nostalgic reasons since it was the first time I’d ever seen the Smiths (or shadowy semblances thereof) and it was the song/video that first sucked me into being a fan all those years ago. But I also loved the style of it … the scratchy film, the smokestacks, the girl in the red beret, the repeat cuts, the fact that I couldn’t really make out what the band looked like. Of course a video like that would look awfully dated today. Having said that though, all style seems to come back around again eventually so who knows. HSIN is not the only concept the Smiths did however. Also in the same vein are Derek Jarman's videos for The Queen Is Dead, Panic & There Is a Light … are all art school concepty cool.

Well, I have to admit I agree to an extent. Because I had no way of finding any footage of The Smiths, MTV was the only place I could go to see them, and MTV, of course, for a long time would play only "How Soon Is Now?" I made a VHS copy and watched it over and over again. It was like being in the desert, rationing off the last drops of water in your canteen. But a few years in, after I'd watched other videos (Tim Broad's, namely), I realized how uncharacteristic it was. Now I can't even watch it. (Doesn't help that I hate the edited mix, either.)

Point taken about Jarman's videos ("There Is A Light" is actually among my favorite videos of all time). But I think you have to say that those are conceptual pieces made by an auteur and not a collaborative effort with Morrissey and Marr. I mean, they were showing that before screenings of "Sid & Nancy", as if it were a short film. Jarman's stuff had a life of its own, I guess I'm saying, so it's kind of an exception. Also the footage wasn't quite "representational", if that's the word-- much more abstract and shorn of the facile storytelling most videos go in for.

It is not my favorite video, but in my opinion the perfect visual expression of Morrissey/Smiths-- other than unadorned footage of a live performance or miming on TOTP-- is "Girlfriend In A Coma", because it is nothing more than a moving-image Smiths sleeve. Like I tried to say above it's almost a non-video (as opposed to an anti-video), which is appropriate. Something about Morrissey's sensibility just doesn't mesh well, or want to mesh well, with videos.

Very true … I’m actually feeling inspired. And I appreciate the words of encouragement. If I do end up putting something together I’ll certainly let you know. Look for a PM in say … 6 months? :)

Please do, but tell us all. I don't think the forum members are nearly as mean as you think.

Last edited:
I would have preferred a video of him dancing around LA in a white suit with an umbrella with his coat of arms on, accompanied by dancers in bikinis with hideous latex masks on. But I don't think that's really his thing.

Imaginary conversation;

We want a video

- Oh must we! :(

Yes. Something bright and cheerful.

- I'd rather go for a nice walk in the park.

You can film in the car park if you want to, just do us a video, right!

;)

There is a lot of expensciv videos out there. i think it is cool that moz take it all the way down. It about who he is!

God, what an awful/awkward video. If you had that little money to make a video you would definatley exercise your creative skills, as appose to this drivel.

I can't believe that such a bad video could crop up after the very stylish and clever ROTT-era videos.

And I must say, this is the absolute gayest I have ever seen him. How much foundation is he wearing? Does his top have faux bullet holes?

Moz is just being Moz and happy :D

Well I adore it...:)
its funny and frivolous, Moz seems genuinely relaxed and it is nice that he wants to share this with us...
you lot are NEVER happy are ya? :rolleyes:

Well, I have to admit I agree to an extent. Because I had no way of finding any footage of The Smiths, MTV was the only place I could go to see them, and MTV, of course, for a long time would play only "How Soon Is Now?" I made a VHS copy and watched it over and over again. It was like being in the desert, rationing off the last drops of water in your canteen. But a few years in, after I'd watched other videos (Tim Broad's, namely), I realized how uncharacteristic it was. Now I can't even watch it. (Doesn't help that I hate the edited mix, either.)

Point taken about Jarman's videos ("There Is A Light" is actually among my favorite videos of all time). But I think you have to say that those are conceptual pieces made by an auteur and not a collaborative effort with Morrissey and Marr. I mean, they were showing that before screenings of "Sid & Nancy", as if it were a short film. Jarman's stuff had a life of its own, I guess I'm saying, so it's kind of an exception. Also the footage wasn't quite "representational", if that's the word-- much more abstract and shorn of the facile storytelling most videos go in for.

It is not my favorite video, but in my opinion the perfect visual expression of Morrissey/Smiths-- other than unadorned footage of a live performance or miming on TOTP-- is "Girlfriend In A Coma", because it is nothing more than a moving-image Smiths sleeve. Like I tried to say above it's almost a non-video (as opposed to an anti-video), which is appropriate. Something about Morrissey's sensibility just doesn't mesh well, or want to mesh well, with videos.

Right you are about the edited mix on HSIN (very annoying). But I still love to watch that video. Perhaps not to the ad nauseum levels I did eons ago but I do enjoy it now and again.

And yes Jarman's videos do stand alone as short abstract films set to a Smiths soundtrack and not so much a collaborative effort. I'm not sure how their union came to be (as in who was a fan of whose first and requested the other's talents). Admittedly I know little about Derek Jarman except what I've read in a wikipedia entry. However, I'm very curious to see "Caravaggio" and just found that a restored version with special features is being released later this month on DVD (pre-ordering on Amazon now).

I do like the video for "Girlfriend In A Coma" although the floating head of Moz is a little odd for me. Perhaps that just goes to further prove your point that Morrissey n' music videos are a bit like and oil & water mix.

Please do, but tell us all. I don't think the forum members are nearly as mean as you think.

Nah, I don't think they are. I know for the most part it's just my being too sensitive sometimes. Forum lesson #1: Tone is often difficult to convey in writing. :D

Apparently, there is something to my Moz-Influence-by-Top-Gear Theory of Music Videos.

According to the Vice Magazine site, O'Dell admitted that the concept of the video was based on another music video on YouTube that Morrissey wanted it styled after:

http://vice.typepad.com/vice_magazine/2008/06/new-york---all.html

What was that video?

Thanks for that link...I want to know what that video was too! I also REALLY want someone to get their hands on the outtake of Moz pounding a beer!!! :pray:

Back
Top Bottom