New Video - All You Need Is Me

Probably a topic worth its own thread, but there have been changes in Morrissey's lyrics from all his time spent in the US, both in terms of vocab and pronunciation (or enunciation perhaps).

What, you mean like "kicking the shit" out of children instead of "bruises bigger than dinner plates"? Yeah. We noticed. :)

Yes, I do. Convention means hamming it up in some stupid video with props, sets, and costumes. How many artists apparently hire a cameraman for about one hour of shooting and just walk around lip-syncing in a garden? I mean, it doesn't even look like he left the recording studio.

And yet, it's not even "low-fi" cool, parading its gritty indie quality in every frame. For instance, in another thread, I mentioned The Replacements' "Bastards of Young" as one of the greatest videos of all time. It's just a camera filming a stereo speaker while the song plays. It epitomizes a no-budget video, but in its twisted way it's still "high concept". They're flaunting their indie cred. Morrissey isn't even doing that. He just filmed himself lip-syncing with his band. That is highly unconventional in my opinion.

128320993454987500dudewaitw.jpg

That would be the latest to stand out just a little, yes.

People seemed to get their knickers (I mean underwear) in a knot over how he said "ya" instead of "you" on Quarry tracks like I Have Forgiven Jesus.

And he also told Americans to "stay where you is," which upset some users, who then felt it necessary to point out the grammar glitch...

What, you mean like "kicking the shit" out of children instead of "bruises bigger than dinner plates"? Yeah. We noticed. :)

NRITH, the cheapest reality shows on TV are as stylized as expensive scripted dramas. They are both heavy on style, each operating in its own conventions, as dictated by the budget. It is highly unusual to find a show that doesn't cling to one model or the other.

You feel me? Or are you going to sic one of your psycho kitties on me again?

That would be the latest to stand out just a little, yes.

People seemed to get their knickers (I mean underwear) in a knot over how he said "ya" instead of "you" on Quarry tracks like I Have Forgiven Jesus.

And he also told Americans to "stay where you is," which upset some users, who then felt it necessary to point out the grammar glitch...

Well, he also said "I crept up behind YA" in, erm, "King Leer" 17 years ago. Precedent! And hell, if you want to go back further in time, I seem to recall the teenage Morrissey had some fascination or other with New York and Hollywood. So nice of him to put aside his infatuation with America for about twenty-odd years to show some love to England. :rolleyes:

Love the song
Love the video
Love the title of the new album
Love the fact I will see him twice in the next month

Thats all

cossy:)

Well, he spent time in the US as a "yout," so I guess the influence has always been there, but he didn't seem too happy about it when he wrote the lyrics to Glamorous Glue.

When he starts insisting on "nite" and "thru" on lyric sheets, he might just go too far...(insert winking face here -- I hate emoticons)

Well, he also said "I crept up behind YA" in, erm, "King Leer" 17 years ago. Precedent! And hell, if you want to go back further in time, I seem to recall the teenage Morrissey had some fascination or other with New York and Hollywood. So nice of him to put aside his infatuation with America for about twenty-odd years to show some love to England. :rolleyes:

1:10
allyouneed2.jpg

2:45
allyouneedisme.jpg

Well, he spent time in the US as a "yout," so I guess the influence has always been there, but he didn't seem too happy about it when he wrote the lyrics to Glamorous Glue.

When he starts insisting on "nite" and "thru" on lyric sheets, he might just go too far...(insert winking face here -- I hate emoticons)

Morrissey got over it pretty fast, didn't he, being that he moved to Los Angeles a few years later (a place where a game of Scrabble is a literary event, to quote Martin Amis).

I think his...relaxed...use of language is a function of age (read: not caring anymore) and of knowing that continuing to stuff his songs with verbiage would run the risk of self-parody.

Well, he also said "I crept up behind YA" in, erm, "King Leer" 17 years ago.

Why does people assume that "ya" is strictly an Americanism when used by Moz? it's incredibly similar to "yer", which is just the Northern pronunciation of the same word.

Why does people assume that "ya" is strictly an Americanism when used by Moz? it's incredibly similar to "yer", which is just the Northern pronunciation of the same word.

Also there was the Sandie Shaw song "Ya Ya Da Da", doubtless a tune blaring at all hours in the Morrissey household in Manchester. It's all a mystery and a tease and it makes me want to give up education as a bad mistake. :rolleyes:

Fate just handed him a ringo. A drumerer. In a garden. Whoopee! And the band following him is a pied piper reference, the mice he's driving out of the city he owns. It is well done.

Fate just handed him a ringo. A drumerer. In a garden. Whoopee! And the band following him is a pied piper reference, the mice he's driving out of the city he owns. It is well done.

Sorry if someone already said this but "pied piper" also fits with The Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man". (I feel like someone already pointed this out but I can't be bothered to check.)

Is anyone else worried that Moz might be going mainstream?
Of course I liked it.

It's just that videos have always embarrassed me a bit.

Back
Top Bottom