New song lyrics

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29227

Have tried to decipher the lyrics of the 2 new songs (Without Music The World Dies, & The Night Pop Dropped).
I think we're OK now on WMTWD lyrics (thanks contributors). Both song lyrics below for your dissection & delectation:

Without Music The World Dies:

You don’t need to lead a formatted life
And you don’t need to find yet another wife
Head-trips may very well blow your mind
Oh, but without music the world dies
Without music the world dies
Without music the whole world dies

You don’t need to respect your government
They can’t even govern themselves
You don’t need swanky First-cabin highs
Ah, but without music the world dies

[guitar section]

You don’t need 24-hour news
And you don’t need to send your children to school
And you don’t need to be a billionaire
(They’re everywhere, they’re everywhere, they’re everywhere)
Oh, but without music the world dies

You don’t need awards, awards, awards,
Shiny oh yes, but never earned, always bought
On your deathbed you will scream out this final reply
Oh, without music the world dies

The Night Pop Dropped:

Remembering the night pop dropped
The bars ran dry, and the dancers stopped
He held her firm ‘til the last sun warmed
How empty our lives would be
If we had never known, if we had never known

How empty life would be, if we had never known
So sad for me, for us, so sad for the universe

Pop rolled, and raged and roared
No taboo on booze and touch
No taboo on very much
How empty our lives would be
If we had never known, if we had never known

And the girls at the back door sang high
And the boys at the back door sang low

[guitar & funky musical section]

He said the best thing you can do is be yourself
The best thing you can do is just be yourself
The best thing you can do is be yourself
The best thing you can do is just be yourself

1st Edit: Updated 09/03/23 - thanks @j*e*t
2nd Edit: Updated 10/03/23 - thanks Anonymous

On the second night the third line in WMTWD changed to 'Head-trips may very well blow your mind', and the third line in the second verse sounded like 'And you don't need swanky first-cabin hide' (as in leather, I suppose).

He held her firm ‘til the last ?****?
It kind of sounds like:
He held us firm till the last sung born

Which makes no sense at all, so can't be right. Hopefully we get some more filmed performances to check soon!

It kind of sounds like:
He held us firm till the last sung born

Which makes no sense at all, so can't be right. Hopefully we get some more filmed performances to check soon!
Yep, it sounded something like that to me, which makes no sense; or is it 'til the last unborn'...? I'm not sure that makes any more sense.
I need to re-listen to the most recent version from the 9th March concert to see if it offers a bit more clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
For WMtWD - I, for some reason, could hear "spin the mind" rather than spill, but I can hear both now. Oh, the joys of suggestibility.

Also, I think it could be "He held US firm ‘til the last sun warmth/warmed.

Last edited:
For WMtWD - I, for some reason, could hear "spin the mind" rather than spill, but I can hear both now. Oh, the joys of suggestibility.

Also, I think it could be "He held US firm ‘til the last sun warmth/warmed.
As mentioned by j*e*t, on the 2nd night, it was much clearer that he sang "Head-trips may very well blow your mind", so I think we're more or less done on WMTWD. Still no clearer however on that line from TNPD, so jury is still out, but "'til the last sun warmed" might be getting a bit closer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. He did sing "blow your mind" on the second night, but on the first it was definitely not that and given his penchant for changing up lyrics live, we don't actually know which is the "official" lyric. And I meant to say "spin your mind" rather than "spin the...". In my opinion, "spin your mind" fits with "head trips" a lot more than spill does.

Yes. He did sing "blow your mind" on the second night, but on the first it was definitely not that and given his penchant for changing up lyrics live, we don't actually know which is the "official" lyric. And I meant to say "spin your mind" rather than "spin the...". In my opinion, "spin your mind" fits with "head trips" a lot more than spill does.
Yep, ok that's fine.
Let's see what happens lyric-wise in the next few concerts. As you point out, "we don't actually know which is the "official" lyric", & the ones which I transcribed from the videos are based on mine, and others listening. If you take a look, you'll notice I'm updating the lyrics on and as and when basis.

"You don’t need to respect your government
They can’t even govern themselves"

In Morrissey's imagination, this counts as astute, political commentary. Embarrassing.

"You don’t need to respect your government
They can’t even govern themselves"

In Morrissey's imagination, this counts as astute, political commentary. Embarrassing.
See also: " And you don’t need to send your children to school". Really!?

I think it's a less wordy way of elucidating his notion that nothing of worth can be learned at school.
I do get that, but I still think it's an idiotic opinion. I know Morrissey had a tough time at school, but that was 50 years ago. Where and how would the children be expected to learn how to read and count. Plus history, biology, geography and so on.

I've listened to WMTWD from recent nights and I now think it's 'first-cabin highs' (not hide) as anon said earlier in the thread, which does rhyme better with 'dies'.

I do get that, but I still think it's an idiotic opinion. I know Morrissey had a tough time at school, but that was 50 years ago. Where and how would the children be expected to learn how to read and count. Plus history, biology, geography and so on.
You have nerve calling Moz idiotic if you think children need 30hrs/week of school to learn to read and count.

Still no clearer however on that line from TNPD, so jury is still out, but "'til the last sun warmed" might be getting a bit closer.
Two great vocal closeup videos, and I'm still not 100%.
Here it sounds like 'He held us firm 'til the last sun warm'. It's very awkward English though, so I'm not convinced.

Then on this more recent performance, the last word sounds more like 'walks' or possibly 'waltz', but it's got a hard end to it, and isn't 'warm.'
'He held us firm 'til the last son walks'? 'Til the last song waltz'? 'He held us firm til the last and warned..'? Argh - this is driving me mad.

I think it's a less wordy way of elucidating his notion that nothing of worth can be learned at school.
The only problem with that theory is that, "you don’t need to send your children to school" elucidates precisely nothing. As an idea, or even just as an inchoate expression of rage, what he's trying to say is terribly expressed and sheds no light whatsoever on what, if anything, he's thinking. There's simply nothing there. The lyrics in this effort are genuinely worse than nothing.

Apart from the awfulness of the lyrics, I think the song confirms much about Morrissey as a person. In 1985, he could still, quite reasonably, get away with railing against "belligerent ghouls". It was, after all, only about a decade since he'd finished school with nothing good to show for it. But to still be banging on about it, and to still see no merit in formal education - in his actual 60s, FFS - only goes to show how emotionally and intellectually stunted he is. This song, like so many others he's sung, post-90s, spotlights the immaturity of Morrissey's interior life. And the fact that he still believes something as trivial as pop music to be superior to almost all else in life just heavily underscores the point. As I said, a few posts ago, the whole thing is just embarrassing.

Get off the stage, Morrissey, you f_cking man-child.

Two great vocal closeup videos, and I'm still not 100%.
Here it sounds like 'He held us firm 'til the last sun warm'. It's very awkward English though, so I'm not convinced.

Then on this more recent performance, the last word sounds more like 'walks' or possibly 'waltz', but it's got a hard end to it, and isn't 'warm.'
'He held us firm 'til the last son walks'? 'Til the last song waltz'? 'He held us firm til the last and warned..'? Argh - this is driving me mad.

‘ …. ‘til the last song worn’ ?

The only problem with that theory is that, "you don’t need to send your children to school" elucidates precisely nothing. As an idea, or even just as an inchoate expression of rage, what he's trying to say is terribly expressed and sheds no light whatsoever on what, if anything, he's thinking. There's simply nothing there. The lyrics in this effort are genuinely worse than nothing.

Apart from the awfulness of the lyrics, I think the song confirms much about Morrissey as a person. In 1985, he could still, quite reasonably, get away with railing against "belligerent ghouls". It was, after all, only about a decade since he'd finished school with nothing good to show for it. But to still be banging on about it, and to still see no merit in formal education - in his actual 60s, FFS - only goes to show how emotionally and intellectually stunted he is. This song, like so many others he's sung, post-90s, spotlights the immaturity of Morrissey's interior life. And the fact that he still believes something as trivial as pop music to be superior to almost all else in life just heavily underscores the point. As I said, a few posts ago, the whole thing is just embarrassing.

Get off the stage, Morrissey, you f_cking man-child.
It's called homeschooling. Perhaps you have heard of it? Many parents are making this choice in these times because the schools, in America at least, are indoctrination camps and not centers of learning and education.

Back
Top Bottom