New Song | Art-Hounds

No I wouldn't. Every time you go Overboard Weird to the point of annoying me into being a prick to you, I'll read it back later and say to myself, "Jesus, she may be a kook, but she's one of the good ones; don't be such a douchebag to her."

So, these days I'm trying to post and let post...where you're concerned, anyway.

Well when you put it that way...

Look, someone such as Morrissey who writes songs about pigstys and getting warm and cold and calling to someone to help and black clouds and not being able to get in touch with a love and Ouigi Boards which was on the setlist everynight is NOT singing a happy song about old farts in a museum. He just isn't. He's singing about the "great work" which is craft which is "art." It's meditation. I suspect, I could be wrong. I suspect he;s attempting to deconstruct the very force and great workers who in a way enslave him as he is cosmically tied to the workings of greatness. So my theory is that in code (perhaps God's code, not necessarily Morrissey's, though he;s pretty f***ing smart, but I think he lets his brain go and write on a general theme or frustration and we figure out the details later) the table that fat aunt MABLE can't find a seat at is the Emerald TABLEt, it;s like a workplace where you center your great concentration. Mable is an anagram for BLAME. When you work at this table you are called upon (when you do it right) to bring to it constructive thoughts and love, not blame. Or it's possible Mable is code for Maple or May Pole. The nature of the table is feminine, the may pole is masculine, but he's saying there's no room for the FAT may pole at the table of the restaurant of which he sings, I dunno. There's many ways to look at it. As far as the 15 pills thing, I think "pills" is code for "spill." In most decks the 15th card is the devil, and the 14th card is Temperence, she transports spiritual water from one vessel to another is is careful not to "spill" the contents, doing so leaves gaps in acquiring gnosis and important thoughts communicated get dropped like "I just need to see you, you comfort me though i feel guilty about it, please know I don't like this but I need to see you." If the "I feel terrible" part got dropped, she might not let him see her, it's the sign of a successful pour. The interesting twist that turns 14 into 15 is that in an enlightened dealer's deck, the Fool is counted as a zero card so technically the 1st card, making the 14th the 15th , the 15th the 16th and so on an so forth. I feel like I'm rambling, but the jist is that if you know that twist you know to turn to the insight of the Temperance card, not the Devil card. Bleh...nobody cares about this shit. I could work this up into an essay but I'd rather watch Fashion Police. :p I think the song is occult in nature. THe will I see you in hushed museums could refer to the feminine principle so widely painted by artists throughtout time. Botticelli springs to mind.

I just reread the lyrics and my explanation doesn't make any sense. All I can say is that I sense it's not about people on the hunt looking for a pretty picture to look at. It's hard to explain.

I just reread the lyrics and my explanation doesn't make any sense. All I can say is that I sense it's not about people on the hunt looking for a pretty picture to look at. It's hard to explain.

He's bitching about art critics, many of whom wouldn't know art if you made them take a class. You know like old people/pensioners, etc. (e.g. a fat aunt Mabel).

In the end, it's a snipe at the people who criticise HIS art. You know: fat, old, ignorant, etc.

I'd go deeper, but I'm too bored by those lyrics to care.

And if his "life is like opera," then he's basically just moaning about the tragedy he embodies.

boo-freaking-hoo. (I sympathize with his recurring depressive episodes, but he has more resources to cope than most people do. And he seems to treat people like used Kleenex, which makes me slightly less sympathetic as well.)

Regarding Skylarker's idea that Morrissey's recent lyrics sound like he's making them up as he goes along: I remember my sister saying she read something in the 1980's that Duran Duran actually fessed up to writing nonsense lyrics just because they sounded good. I hope Morrissey doesn't go all po-mo and start doing that. Oh dear God, I pray he doesn't.

Thanks! I LOVE IT.

Art-Hounds – Write something ??
Look, nothing!
And those that do are judged by those who tried
and found they couldn’t do

Art-Hounds see the Greek Ideal
Gaze on what they never feel
The pitiless revenge of those without friends
Pitiless, pitiless revenge

Art-Hounds nose around
They’ve seen it somewhere written down
And everything they’ve seen on the moving screen
helps them (pick up the pace) ??

In European museums
Will I see you?(x6)
In European museums
Will i see yer????

My life is opera(x4)

Art-Hounds in a restaurant
They bring along their lolling aunt
But when they can’t find a table for their fat aunt Mabel
They stamp their feet and cry

(repeat)

In European ?? museums
Will I see you? (x6)
In European ?? museums
Will I see yer?

My life is opera(x4)

Art-Hounds –
Very funny; very witty; but very lonely
And below the belt is shrivelled and small -
It knows a thousand woes

(repeat)

In European ?? museums
Will I see yer?

When you cannot stand the real world
take my hand
take my hand
When you cannot stand the real world...

I take fifteen pills to send me to sleep
And fifteen pills to send me away

What do they mean?
what do they mean?
what do they mean?
what do they mean?
What do they mean?
What does it mean?

Nobody knows

I care. Very interesting! I think I might have to read over that a couple of times, though. :p

Well when you put it that way...

Look, someone such as Morrissey who writes songs about pigstys and getting warm and cold and calling to someone to help and black clouds and not being able to get in touch with a love and Ouigi Boards which was on the setlist everynight is NOT singing a happy song about old farts in a museum. He just isn't. He's singing about the "great work" which is craft which is "art." It's meditation. I suspect, I could be wrong. I suspect he;s attempting to deconstruct the very force and great workers who in a way enslave him as he is cosmically tied to the workings of greatness. So my theory is that in code (perhaps God's code, not necessarily Morrissey's, though he;s pretty f***ing smart, but I think he lets his brain go and write on a general theme or frustration and we figure out the details later) the table that fat aunt MABLE can't find a seat at is the Emerald TABLEt, it;s like a workplace where you center your great concentration. Mable is an anagram for BLAME. When you work at this table you are called upon (when you do it right) to bring to it constructive thoughts and love, not blame. Or it's possible Mable is code for Maple or May Pole. The nature of the table is feminine, the may pole is masculine, but he's saying there's no room for the FAT may pole at the table of the restaurant of which he sings, I dunno. There's many ways to look at it. As far as the 15 pills thing, I think "pills" is code for "spill." In most decks the 15th card is the devil, and the 14th card is Temperence, she transports spiritual water from one vessel to another is is careful not to "spill" the contents, doing so leaves gaps in acquiring gnosis and important thoughts communicated get dropped like "I just need to see you, you comfort me though i feel guilty about it, please know I don't like this but I need to see you." If the "I feel terrible" part got dropped, she might not let him see her, it's the sign of a successful pour. The interesting twist that turns 14 into 15 is that in an enlightened dealer's deck, the Fool is counted as a zero card so technically the 1st card, making the 14th the 15th , the 15th the 16th and so on an so forth. I feel like I'm rambling, but the jist is that if you know that twist you know to turn to the insight of the Temperance card, not the Devil card. Bleh...nobody cares about this shit. I could work this up into an essay but I'd rather watch Fashion Police. :p I think the song is occult in nature. THe will I see you in hushed museums could refer to the feminine principle so widely painted by artists throughtout time. Botticelli springs to mind.

The parts which I hear differently:

Art-hounds
Write something that accounts
Look, nothing.

In European hushed museums
Will I see you?

My life is a pun.*

And fifteen pills to shake me awake

* either this or "open" probably as a reference to a museum being open (take my hand etc)
I can't imagine this being "opera," because it makes no sense grammatically or as part of this song.

Last edited:
I've studied art and all i can say is that the lyric kicks ass. I got my Master's degree in arts and graphic design, and it's just true that artists are just judged by people don't have ANY talent. Or by people that tried so hard to get there and failed due to lack of talent. It's not a fair competition and that's what's it about. Artists critising other artists art is done.... but critics that are just trying to put a philosophy on works is just plain bullshit. I have had teachers that were doctors in Egyptology, doctorss in literature, doctors in psycholgy in art.... they all said the same. they didn't have the right to critisise because they couldn't do it...

Same goes for "would be musicicians" that wouldn't even reach the ankles of boz or Jesse... doesn't make any sense...

I've studied art and all i can say is that the lyric kicks ass. I got my Master's degree in arts and graphic design, and it's just true that artists are just judged by people don't have ANY talent. Or by people that tried so hard to get there and failed due to lack of talent. It's not a fair competition and that's what's it about. Artists critising other artists art is done.... but critics that are just trying to put a philosophy on works is just plain bullshit. I have had teachers that were doctors in Egyptology, doctorss in literature, doctors in psycholgy in art.... they all said the same. they didn't have the right to critisise because they couldn't do it...

Same goes for "would be musicicians" that wouldn't even reach the ankles of boz or Jesse... doesn't make any sense...

So, you're basically saying if an architect designs a crooked and unstable house, you're not allowed to say he's a bad architect or that he's designed a bad house if you're not an architect as well? Bullshit. Just bullshit.

So, you're basically saying if an architect designs a crooked and unstable house, you're not allowed to say he's a bad architect or that he's designed a bad house if you're not an architect as well? Bullshit. Just bullshit.

Your opinion means nothing. You have no basis to judge art and be taken seriously. It's not bullshit. From the standpoint of your own personal taste, you can say what you want, but don't think that your opinion is valid or more valid than some homeless man on the street because it's not. You're a mere bystander critic (at best!) and that is all. If you don't like him, you don't have to listen to him. What you do is try to convince people not to like him or that he's a bad artist and he's not, so that is when you are dead wrong, which is most of the time.

Speaking of architecture, have you ever heard of the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

Leaning_tower_of_pisa_2.jpg

All is not what it seems from your puny little naive eyes.

Your opinion means nothing. You have no basis to judge art and be taken seriously. It's not bullshit. From the standpoint of your own personal taste, you can say what you want, but don't think that your opinion is valid or more valid than some homeless man on the street because it's not. You're a mere bystander critic (at best!) and that is all. If you don't like him, you don't have to listen to him. What you do is try to convince people not to like him or that he's a bad artist and he's not, so that is when you are dead wrong, which is most of the time.

Opinions matter in the scheme of things equally to those who require them to feed their ego...whether it be from a layman or a layman who has a degree in the relevant field, it makes no difference. If you are stupid enough to be influenced by other people's feelings, that is YOUR problem and solely YOUR problem. If you like what is said, good...If you don't, deal with it and shut the f*** up.

You DO know the Tower of Pisa WAS built perpendicular don't you? Or are you THAT stupid?

PS - Nice new username...as if you're fooling anyone. I'd recognize your drivel in my sleep.

Very cool song. The fact that we have 8 pages of comments on it shows that it's got people talking.

The Aunt Mabel line -- I think the rhyme is lazy but giving the art hounds of the song such a plain, physically unattractive, "real world" relative that they're trying desperately to impress fits the world of the song perfectly.

I can only think the falsetto emphasizes the fact that the line is "My life is opera" (which works even better than "...an opera").

The parts which I hear differently:

Art-hounds
Write something that accounts
Look, nothing.

In European hushed museums
Will I see you?

My life is a pun.*

And fifteen pills to shake me awake

* either this or "open" probably as a reference to a museum being open (take my hand etc)
I can't imagine this being "opera," because it makes no sense grammatically or as part of this song.

How can you possibly hear those parts?? It makes me wonder how some people's brains actually interpret things they hear when they come up with things like this.
It's *definitely* send, not shake ... there is no sound he sings which could possibly make it shake. And not awake either as there is no k sound in that word. Plus, how on earth do you take pills in your sleep to wake you up? 15 pills is to fall asleep and being "sent away" I imagine is to die, so taking 15 pills to kill himself.
The "write something that accounts" .... I have no idea where you got that from.

Wow. I think I have found my doppel-ganger. Reading this, I now know how people feel when they read my posts; impressed.

When did 'opera' become an adjective?
If Morrissey is comparing his life to an opera, then he would need to use the indefinite article.
'My life is opera' would make no more sense than 'My life is table'.
Really, the standard of English round these parts!

It wouldn't be the first time Morrissey has used bad grammar in a song lyric though, would it?

Poetic license apparently is null and void now.
His love of that phrase 'some of us is turning nasty', there's even inventing words like "unsleepable". Lets just hope he doesn't get to 'lolcat" territory.

Although 'my life is over' would also fit. I still don't hear it as 'a book' though, theres just no k sound to it at all. The way the word trails of just sounds like "ahhh"

Poetic license apparently is null and void now.
His love of that phrase 'some of us is turning nasty', there's even inventing words like "unsleepable". Lets just hope he doesn't get to 'lolcat" territory.

Although 'my life is over' would also fit. I still don't hear it as 'a book' though, theres just no k sound to it at all. The way the word trails of just sounds like "ahhh"

It is obviously "my life is opera". If someone heard it for the first time without reading this thread (as I did) it is pretty clear that he is saying opera. That, and the fact he sings it in a mock-opera falsetto. And it fits in with the art theme of the song.
My life is a book? Your hearing is shit.

It wouldn't be the first time Morrissey has used bad grammar in a song lyric though, would it?

Morrissey is not using bad grammar because starless and Maurice E's entire premise is false.

Opera is a noun usable without an article because, quite simply, it is a genre of music and theatre. Just like Rock-n-roll or Musical Theater or Rockabilly or Romantic Comedy all can be. Opera is a TYPE of music/theater.

If Morrissey were comparing his life to a specific opera, then an article would be appropriate, but he's not; he means it in a generic way, thus no article.

For an extended example, see this article on Opera from Wikipedia for specifics in how the word can be used appropriately without any articles.

Morrissey is not using bad grammar because starless and Maurice E's entire premise is false.

Opera is a noun usable without an article because, quite simply, it is a genre of music and theatre. Just like Rock-n-roll or Musical Theater or Rockabilly or Romantic Comedy all can be. Opera is a TYPE of music/theater.

If Morrissey were comparing his life to a specific opera, then an article would be appropriate, but he's not; he means it in a generic way, thus no article.

For an extended example, see this article on Opera from Wikipedia for specifics in how the word can be used appropriately without any articles.

Agree with every word but one.
Theatre, darling, theatre.

Back
Top Bottom