New Smiths documentary on DirectTV?

Please forgive me if this is utter bollix, but I have a dim memory of there being a South Bank Show on Morrissey being nixed, mid-stream, as the rumour was that he insisted that he only wanted to be interviewed by the Arctic Monkeys, not Melvyn Bragg?

They filmed in and around one of the G-Mex Xmas 2006 concerts, so set for telly in 2007 {20th anniversary of The Smiths SBS?}

If this is gibberish, blame the hospital meds...

Found another trace, but apparently the rumour said he wanted them to be interviewed?

"Unfortunately, the best friend of Nancy Sinatra stipulated that there be no opinions from music journalists to be aired on the show. After a night's thought, Morrissey came up with another small proviso, which if not followed would mean his withdrawal from the proceedings.

The only people allowed to be interviewed on his glittering career would be the Arctic Monkeys and a very good-looking young male Latino gang from LA."

Have the Arctic Monkeys ever made any Moz related comment anywhere?

Yes, Alex Turner has mentioned The Smiths' influence on Suck It And See specifically and named Hatful Of Hollow as one record that changed his life

I want to ask if you if you have seen the video, Aviation
Last Shadow Puppets
I think the guy who plays the groom represents Moz
Your thoughts?
Just a notion/theory of mine
I’m interested in your opinion.

I want to ask if you if you have seen the video, Aviation
Last Shadow Puppets
I think the guy who plays the groom represents Moz
Your thoughts?
Just a notion/theory of mine
I’m interested in your opinion.
No, I hadn't seen, or heard of it/them...I have now & that was really good actually.
As for Moz being the groom there, well, that's an interesting take...
I'm going to look more into LSP, so thanks for the heads-up. :thumb:

Yes, Alex Turner has mentioned The Smiths' influence on Suck It And See specifically and named Hatful Of Hollow as one record that changed his life

Thanks, yes I've read that.
I was wondering more along the lines of any comment he may have made re; Moz as solo, as opposed to The Smiths.
It's not important, I was just curious.

I found this on the excellent morrisseychile.com page. It is indeed the South Bank Show subbed in Spanish, but probably still worth a look because the footage is of better quality than other recordings I've seen.

Lots of nice content on that page, especially the collection of Morrissey (and Marr) solo live videos.

Unfortunately the video and audio stutters quite a lot in the version on that site. Shame, because it's HQ and widescreen.

Unfortunately the video and audio stutters quite a lot in the version on that site. Shame, because it's HQ and widescreen.

I noticed, but I didn't watch the whole thing, so wasn't aware of the extent of the judder. Maybe it's worth checking if it's possible to get the complete broadcast directly from Direct TV.

The site is just linking to/embedding/playing a Google Drive file - which, on closer inspection, is a restricted 'play only' file.
Didn't have time for that nonsense, so 'found a way' and here is the full 1080 video (1.1 Gig) the site was using.
I don't think it plays any better from a local drive, but here it is for posterity:
Perhaps one of the other version's cleaner audio could be overlaid without too much being affected - any whizzes?
Regards,
FWD.

The site is just linking to/embedding/playing a Google Drive file - which, on closer inspection, is a restricted 'play only' file.
Didn't have time for that nonsense, so 'found a way' and here is the full 1080 video (1.1 Gig) the site was using.
I don't think it plays any better from a local drive, but here it is for posterity:
Perhaps one of the other version's cleaner audio could be overlaid without too much being affected - any whizzes?
Regards,
FWD.
To me it looks like it's a problem with the broadcast itself (or the recording of it) and not the file that's being used.

I downloaded a couple of things from that site, if anyone's interested (and unable to download themselves) I'd be happy to share.

No, I hadn't seen, or heard of it/them...I have now & that was really good actually.
As for Moz being the groom there, well, that's an interesting take...
I'm going to look more into LSP, so thanks for the heads-up. :thumb:
Glad you enjoyed it!
I recommend la musicale from 3 years ago, a live set and interview.
Turner is such an eloquent vocalist and his lyrics are clever but listen to him speak.
It has me in bits cos he can’t find the words to express his thoughts in a simple dialogue.
He might just be bored of interviews and he and M.K seem to be taking the mick at times..
Anyhow enjoy your LSP discovery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom