New Smiths documentary on DirectTV?

M

Mozjames99

I stumbled upon this video and am unsure of what documentary this program will be airing. Does anyone have any information?

?

All the interview footage seems to be taken from The South Bank Show?

OnDirecTV

According to Wikipedia it's a satellite TV channel serving South America and the Caribbean.

Anyone catch this?

I found this on the excellent morrisseychile.com page. It is indeed the South Bank Show subbed in Spanish, but probably still worth a look because the footage is of better quality than other recordings I've seen.

Lots of nice content on that page, especially the collection of Morrissey (and Marr) solo live videos.

It's embarrassing how every single word from that South Bank Show is etched into my brain. God knows how many times I must have watched it!!

I found this on the excellent morrisseychile.com page. It is indeed the South Bank Show subbed in Spanish, but probably still worth a look because the footage is of better quality than other recordings I've seen.

Lots of nice content on that page, especially the collection of Morrissey (and Marr) solo live videos.

Excellent find. Seems Moz wasn't the only one influenced by films from the '60's. Through watching this, as an added bonus, I've just discovered where the Arctic Monkeys got the name of their first album from (Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not)...it was from Saturday Night & Sunday Morning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent find. Seems Moz wasn't the only one influenced by films from the '60's. Through watching this, as an added bonus, I've just discovered where the Arctic Monkeys got the name of their first album from (Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not)...it was from Saturday Night & Sunday Morning!

Yes, I even seem to recall an interview in which Moz was asked about this at the time when the album was first released.

Yes, I even seem to recall an interview in which Moz was asked about this at the time when the album was first released.

Ah, found it. From the great "The Last Temptation of Morrissey" by Paul Morley, Uncut, May 2006

"Arctic Monkeys - their album title, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, seemed very Morrissey, and is, in fact, taken from one of your favourite books/films, Alan Sillitoe's Saturday Night And Sunday Morning.

The album title reminded me of when Jools Holland introduced me on Later by saying that whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not... I'm not so possessive that I would assume that everything that I've enjoyed in the past belongs only to me... I'm very pleased that they show that degree of taste... Beyond that, I don't really know that much about them."

Ah, found it. From the great "The Last Temptation of Morrissey" by Paul Morley, Uncut, May 2006

"Arctic Monkeys - their album title, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, seemed very Morrissey, and is, in fact, taken from one of your favourite books/films, Alan Sillitoe's Saturday Night And Sunday Morning.

The album title reminded me of when Jools Holland introduced me on Later by saying that whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not... I'm not so possessive that I would assume that everything that I've enjoyed in the past belongs only to me... I'm very pleased that they show that degree of taste... Beyond that, I don't really know that much about them."
What a wonderful find, thanks for that. Moz should find out more about them & give them the recognition they deserve; he'd find their lyrics to be very clever & skilful. Alex Turner is really quite gifted.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful find, thanks for that. Moz should find out more about them & give them the recognition they deserve; he'd find their lyrics to be very clever & skilful. Alex Turner is really quite gifted.

The excerpt from the Uncut interview I posted earlier went on:

"Have you heard them?
I saw them once on television. I thought it was very pleasant in the way that Jasmine Minks were pleasant.

Are the Arctic Monkeys leading a vindication of those early Eighties ideas? This entering into the mainstream of a smarter, louder, more local music...
Well, it was all bound to happen eventually, but that doesn’t mean it happens in the right way, at the right time."

As usual with Morrissey there was a bit of drama surrounding his comments on them back then.

In March 2006 he was quoted saying

"It's happening all too quickly for them. They haven't proved a thing and they haven't had to work very hard - that must make them insecure.

It's all a bit unnatural. OK they've sold about 700,000 albums, but it can't be gratifying. They haven't been driving up and down the M1 (UK motorway) for fifteen years."

... which per se isn't necessary a swipe at their work but the headlines still insisted that he was "slamming" them, so he issued an official apology...

"I’m sorry that the comments I made at SouthBySouthWest about the Arctic Monkeys were printed so harshly in The Times and the NME.

I actually quite like the Arctic Monkeys and whatever I said was said with tender, avuncular concern. I hope to God I didn’t upset their grannies.

In any case, I was wrong about their success being too sudden and without any dues paid, because that’s exactly how it happened for The Smiths. So, I really should shut it."

By July 2006 he was definitely concerned about the "press hoo-ha", but at least he admitted they were "good", although "not prophets". 😅

Personally, I agree with you, by the way. At least where their earlier records are concerned. Their debut is one of my favourite records of the 2000s.

Please forgive me if this is utter bollix, but I have a dim memory of there being a South Bank Show on Morrissey being nixed, mid-stream, as the rumour was that he insisted that he only wanted to be interviewed by the Arctic Monkeys, not Melvyn Bragg?

They filmed in and around one of the G-Mex Xmas 2006 concerts, so set for telly in 2007 {20th anniversary of The Smiths SBS?}

If this is gibberish, blame the hospital meds...

Please forgive me if this is utter bollix, but I have a dim memory of there being a South Bank Show on Morrissey being nixed, mid-stream, as the rumour was that he insisted that he only wanted to be interviewed by the Arctic Monkeys, not Melvyn Bragg?

They filmed in and around one of the G-Mex Xmas 2006 concerts, so set for telly in 2007 {20th anniversary of The Smiths SBS?}

Your memory seems to be working just fine, at least regarding the existence of the G-Mex footage. Not sure about the Arctic Monkeys though.

Hospital meds? Hopefully consumed in good spirits in your own home for recreational reasons and not in an actual h*spital for, God forbid, medical reasons?

Your memory seems to be working just fine, at least regarding the existence of the G-Mex footage. Not sure about the Arctic Monkeys though.

Hospital meds? Hopefully consumed in good spirits in your own home for recreational reasons and not in an actual h*spital for, God forbid, medical reasons?

'frady so. í went into atrial fib last Tuesday night, some kind of chest infection {NOT Covid}, and they gave me some meds to flatten the heart rate, oxygen mask etc. Then they shocked it, which did the trick. All obs normal since weekend. Freed today (y)

And í wasn't even looking at frink, m'lud...

'frady so. í went into atrial fib last Tuesday night, some kind of chest infection {NOT Covid}, and they gave me some meds to flatten the heart rate, oxygen mask etc. Then they shocked it, which did the trick. All obs normal since weekend. Freed today (y)

Holy shit, hope that doesn't return, you don't need that. Best of luck.

Holy shit, hope that doesn't return, you don't need that. Best of luck.

Cheers Unk. í do not. 'Man of mystery' they said, couldn't ID infection which caused the AF.

The trick is to keep breathing.

Blimey. Hope you're feeling alright and your time at the hospital wasn't too horrible.

No more cheeky Fab sucking gifs for you in the near future.

Didn't Morrissey want his favourite lonely High Court Judge John Weeks interviewed?
Tried to find the source of this info but no luck. Anyone out there with a big nose that knows????

I wondered where you were!

That sounds awful - so glad you're on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom