Morrissey Central "New Recording." (February 20, 2023)

WITHOUT MUSIC THE WORLD DIES has been recorded in France. The 10-track album has been described by Jesse Tobias as "a lightning strike."

This is the 5th Morrissey album produced by Joe Chiccarelli.
The songs are:

The Night Pop Dropped
Zoom Zoom The Little Boy
Boulevard
Headache
Without Music the World Dies

Suspicious Minds
Notre-Dame
Many Icebergs Ago
Happy New Tears
The Monsters of Pig Alley

1 and 2 co-written with Jesse Tobias
3, 7, 9, 10 co-written with Alain Whyte
4, 5, 8 co-written with Gustavo Manzur
6 written by Mark Adams
Engineered by Bill Mimms.
Recorded at La Fabrique Studios in St-Remy, France.
Jesse Tobias guitars
Alain Whyte guitars and backing vocals
Gustavo Manzur keyboards and backing vocals
Juan Galeano bass
Brendan Buckley drums

Capitol Records Los Angeles recently terminated their contract with Morrissey, therefore if any record label or private investor has interest in releasing this project, please contact Donnie Knutson at

[email protected]

Attack-min.png

Details of the newly completed album 'Without Music the World Dies', plus news that Capitol Records has terminated their contract with Morrissey.

I stumbled upon this on the Grammy's website from back in 2017:

Speaking on the future plans for his new label, Morrissey explained, "Whatever happens in the world, music is for eternity. It's a great pleasure and very healthy to produce and create, and I'd love to expand Etienne and sign up music that counts."

Morrissey has Étienne, so why not use that as the label to release BoT (assuming he can) and WMTWD? I'm not entirely sure how it works as I read it's an imprint set up with BMG (when he was under contract with them, I'm assuming). But still - he has a label and has spoken about expanding it, so why not?

The mist plausible scenario (to me) is that Morrissey wanted to record an album but found himself severely limited by these COVID restrictions. Jesse, with his RHCP connections must have suggested Robert Watt as producer. There was the added benefit that Watt’s studio is very close to the hotel where Morrissey lives. Robert Watt has worked with Miley Cyrus, so he probably suggested her when he felt that the Veronica song would be better off with a female backing vocal and Miley is aMorrissey fan. Iggy Pop is a friend of Morrissey.

At the time of recording, Morrissey was without a record contract, so he paid for the recording himself, probably with the hope that an interested record company would reimburse these costs incuurred. He is in an identical situation now, so he has also financed the recording of WMTWD. As long as he can eventually release his music and recover the costs, I expect he’ll keep doing it this way.
A new name enters the fray... Robert Watt....?! 😂

Last edited:
I'm still confused whether Bonfire has Alain on any of it or he wrote any of it?

Don’t be. Alain wasn’t involved with Morrissey at the time of bonfires writing or recording, he has no part in it.
Thank you, I couldn't remember the time line of when he came back in to the picture. The last few years have all blended in to one which has made Bonfire all seem very recent when in reality it's 2 years ago that it was announced, crazy.

I still have zero hype for Without Music. It’s because I wanted Bonfire first.
Due to Alain's involvement, I could quickly get excited for WMTWD if there was actually a release date. If he has the chance to release it I hope he does regardless of BOT's status (but here's hoping we get both).

Due to Alain's involvement, I could quickly get excited for WMTWD if there was actually a release date. If he has the chance to release it I hope he does regardless of BOT's status (but here's hoping we get both).
I think expectations due to Alain's involvement are too high. It really depends on Morrissey. He's been given a lot of great music by many members of his band, but if he decides to be lazy...

Last edited:
I think expectations due to Alain's involvement are too high. It really depends on Morrissey. He's been given a lot of great music by many members of his band, but if he decides to be lazy...
True. Unless he announces that he's self-releasing I don't think there's much to get excited about. If he's still trying to go the record contract route... is there any reason to think he'll do any better with this one?

True. Unless he announces that he's self-releasing I don't think there's much to get excited about. If he's still trying to go the record contract route... is there any reason to think he'll do any better with this one?
I try to express my thought more clearly. I think all Morrissey albums are more or less brilliant. What sometimes, in my opinion, ruins some songs that otherwise would be a lot better, is Morrissey's lazy lyrics. This has nothing to do with the quality of the music he decides to work on, which is usually good if not great. I personally don't like it when he is too repetitive or simple, this ruins the songs for me, and the same can happen even when he works with Alain. That said, I like almost all his output. But I'm disappointed whenever he is so apparently lazy or lacking with words, which should be his strength!
I will always wait his albums with anticipation, anyway.

I try to express my thought more clearly. I think all Morrissey albums are more or less brilliant. What sometimes, in my opinion, ruins some songs that otherwise would be a lot better, is Morrissey's lazy lyrics. This has nothing to do with the quality of the music he decides to work on, which is usually good if not great. I personally don't like it when he is too repetitive or simple, this ruins the songs for me, and the same can happen even when he works with Alain. That said, I like almost all his output. But I'm disappointed whenever he is so apparently lazy or lacking with words, which should be his strength!
I will always wait his albums with anticipation, anyway.

Like "Ruth.. Is John" in TTAR.

Putting a cover song in the album is just meh... for me.
I am sure I will delete it and keep my version of the album without it.
And I hope the cover art is not the red one given on the first announcement. We need an iconic artwork, not a bootleg one at best.
Not a fan of french themes either.
Sorry guys, maybe I'm just a little negative today. Tomorrow I may change my mind.
I really miss Bonfire...

Just realised that this is the second album to feature an Alain contribution with the word "pig" in it.

Putting a cover song in the album is just meh... for me.
I am sure I will delete it and keep my version of the album without it.
And I hope the cover art is not the red one given on the first announcement. We need an iconic artwork, not a bootleg one at best.
Not a fan of french themes either.
Sorry guys, maybe I'm just a little negative today. Tomorrow I may change my mind.
I really miss Bonfire...
I miss Bonfire too and I never even had it. Will it ever be released? Will it leak at the very least? I feel like I have OCD when I think that we might get the Without Music The World Dies album before Bonfire is released. I don't know if I can handle such circumstances. I must be brave.

Oh, and don't apologize for being negative. It is many people's default outlook and attitude, especially here at SoLow.

I totally agree. Alain has co-written only four of the new songs and not everything he does is magic. Plus if Morrissey's contribution is the same kind of drivel as much of his recent output, that's not very helpful either.

I totally agree. Alain has co-written only four of the new songs and not everything he does is magic. Plus if Morrissey's contribution is the same kind of drivel as much of his recent output, that's not very helpful either.
Bonfire album aside I take it? His strongest solo material.

Bonfire album aside I take it? His strongest solo material.
If you mean that BoT is his strongest solo material, I strongly disagree. Telephone, Kerouac and Veronica (lyrically) are ridiculously weak in my opinion. I would rate only Saint among prime Morrissey. (Although I do respect your opinion.)

Tags
without music the world dies

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom