Morrissey Central "New Recording." (February 20, 2023)

WITHOUT MUSIC THE WORLD DIES has been recorded in France. The 10-track album has been described by Jesse Tobias as "a lightning strike."

This is the 5th Morrissey album produced by Joe Chiccarelli.
The songs are:

The Night Pop Dropped
Zoom Zoom The Little Boy
Boulevard
Headache
Without Music the World Dies

Suspicious Minds
Notre-Dame
Many Icebergs Ago
Happy New Tears
The Monsters of Pig Alley

1 and 2 co-written with Jesse Tobias
3, 7, 9, 10 co-written with Alain Whyte
4, 5, 8 co-written with Gustavo Manzur
6 written by Mark Adams
Engineered by Bill Mimms.
Recorded at La Fabrique Studios in St-Remy, France.
Jesse Tobias guitars
Alain Whyte guitars and backing vocals
Gustavo Manzur keyboards and backing vocals
Juan Galeano bass
Brendan Buckley drums

Capitol Records Los Angeles recently terminated their contract with Morrissey, therefore if any record label or private investor has interest in releasing this project, please contact Donnie Knutson at

[email protected]

Attack-min.png

Details of the newly completed album 'Without Music the World Dies', plus news that Capitol Records has terminated their contract with Morrissey.

This one is better - gives the interview word for word.

Thanks for the link. I especially liked this:

U2 have an enormous Star Wars set with drumsticks that light up northern Africa, and a sound system that would drown out an earthquake. I can't compete with that. Not with my post office savings account. All I have to offer the world are songs.

It is very poor. IMO not as cheap looking at the Californian Son cover. The sun rays around his head look like they've been cut and pasted from an image created some time around 1991. You can also see some of his shirt collar each side of his neck.
Absolutely agree. California Son looks like a child's art project and the LIH cover makes no sense whatsoever. At least Dog has some good songs though...

CS was designed by a child. So was LIH. BOT was (would have been) dire and one can only imagine what will grace WMTWD. We can have fun guessing, however!

We think it will be a badly photo-shopped image of Andy Warhol filming himself pissing through the letter box of a branch of 'Our Price' records, circa 1972.

The reverse side will be a dead tramp face down on the table of a soup kitchen, a copy of 'Hunky Dory' stuck to his face.

Absolutely they know. And Moz has commented on this subject before. Things do feel different now though. He can't run the risk of what happened to Bonfire happening to Without Music too.

If the contract was as it seems, and Capitol even own the songs now... I'm not sure how he singed such a terrible contract in the first place. Shouldn't there be a clause that says something akin to "if the record isn't released in X amount of time, Capitol will lose the licensing rights, which will revert back to the artist"? Who oversees these stuff for him?

Also, I'm not sure what he means with “I don’t have any need to be innovative in that way. I am still stuck in the dream of an album that sells well not because of marketing, but because people like the songs." What's that to do with self releasing?

Last edited:
They know. Alain has his own label called Alsden, they would use that if Morrissey really just wanted to release.
Well good, he might be able to convince him!
That’s only profit on the manufacture of the record. What about the cost of studio time, musicians, distribution, marketing etc?

not much left after that.
Well but at least the record would be out. Plus he might be able to sell more units than that, and there's digital downloads, streaming.

Well good, he might be able to convince him!

Well but at least the record would be out. Plus he might be able to sell more units than that, and there's digital downloads, streaming.
press on only do a max of 3000 as they are catering for the indie acts who cannot get stuff pressed elsewhere as the big labels block book the larger plants . but 3000 in each country would soon add up . not sure how much cd costs to produce but it can't be more than vinyl I would presume under 10k for 3000 lps seems very cheap
just over 3 quid each !! I double checked it again today but it was correct .
btw it was I who originally posted about this but I couldn't sign in .

press on only do a max of 3000 as they are catering for the indie acts who cannot get stuff pressed elsewhere as the big labels block book the larger plants . but 3000 in each country would soon add up . not sure how much cd costs to produce but it can't be more than vinyl I would presume under 10k for 3000 lps seems very cheap
Surely we don’t need physical copies in this day and age. It just needs to be made available in digital form.

Hmmmm….that’s interesting. It definitely could be! I’m really excited about the upcoming dates and hopefully he’ll play some of those songs. Maybe then we’ll know for sure.
About 34 minutes into Brendan Buckley's interview on Big Fat Five, he speaks about his 5th music choice, from a 1992 award-winning album called Brasileiro, the track Barabare - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasileiro

He says Latino music has actually many subdivisions. This seems related to the film, Only The Strong with the Zoom Zoom song on the soundtrack described also as of this Brasileiro genre. Yes, let's hope we get a chance to find out. Brendan ends by saying to come out and see him soon on tour with Morrissey. I have a feeling it'll be much plainer sailing for this album : )

About 34 minutes into Brendan Buckley's interview on Big Fat Five, he speaks about his 5th music choice, from a 1992 award-winning album called Brasileiro, the track Barabare - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasileiro

He says Latino music has actually many subdivisions. This seems related to the film, Only The Strong with the Zoom Zoom song on the soundtrack described also as of this Brasileiro genre. Yes, let's hope we get a chance to find out. Brendan ends by saying to come out and see him soon on tour with Morrissey. I have a feeling it'll be much plainer sailing for this album : )

I like the Latino stuff. If he could combine it with psychobilly, it would be fabulous.

Please, no more Latino stuff on any upcoming Morrissey record. It nearly killed my appetite for jangle pop.

I see. He could do that in several countries yeah. It does seem cheap, seems like there should be money to be made. Maybe he doesn't want to go through the trouble, but surely he won't just let his records go unreleased either...

I believe that Capitol has ownership, I cant be 100% sure, but I get that nagging feeling that they want him to die before they release it.

I feel exactly the same. It's the only way they'll make enough to satiate their greed.

Tags
without music the world dies

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom