New Post Punk Book - 'Totally Wired'

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2009 (read-only)' started by Jukebox Jury, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury Retired

I have the new book by Simon Reynolds 'Totally Wired' (the title being a Fall song).

If anyone here read one of his previous books - the excellent 'Rip It Up And Start Again' then this is the follow up / natural companion to it.

It is mainly interviews with individuals who were at the forefront of post punk.... people like Tony Wilson, Paul Morley, Bill Drummond, Martin Rushant, John Peel, Jah Wobble etc etc etc.... and Linder Sterling.

Quite a good interview offering an insight into her role / relationship with Buzzcocks / Magazine and of course Ludas. There are also two questions asked relating to Morrissey:

Have you seen 24 Hour Party People?
    I didn't go and see it. I saw an early shooting script and Morrissey and I were in it and our lines were just so abysmal I just got hold of a legal friend to write a really scary letter and saying ''I have to be removed from this film''. So I was removed from the film. And I still haven't seen it. maybe one day.

Finally, is it true that you are the subject of 'Wonderful Women', that great, lost early Smiths B-side?
    There's various rumours. So who knows? I dont. I do know 'What do I get?' was written about me. Because Peter Shelley told me so.

Jukebox Jury

2. Worm

Worm Taste the diffidence

I'm ordering my copy today!

Simon Reynolds is a great music writer and, I gather, a big Smiths fan (although you'd find scant evidence these days, as he's moved on to other topics). "Rip It Up And Start Again" is a masterpiece.

3. Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury Retired

Yes, he has done a Hiperty Hoperty book in between these two books.
    My copy was £9 from HMV (same price in Fopp) - has a RRP £14.99 on the back of the book.

Jukebox Jury

4. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Subscriber

"Rip It Up" was great. A recommendation from JJ is al I need - I will be buying Totally Wired this weekend.:guitar:

Peter

5. Arsenal

Arsenal Why Me?

Jah Wobble is a legend. PIL is the best post punk band ever. The end.

6. Worm

Which is pretty much what Simon Reynolds said.

Well, a little more comprehensively.

7. Arsenal

Arsenal Why Me?

I prefer to get right to the point. :)

8. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Subscriber

PIL's Rise is one of the greatest singles. Ever.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  9. Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury Retired

Yes.... at the end of the interviews, there are two 'overviews' on the bands Reynolds describes as the greatest post punk bands..... PIL and Joy Division. Haven't got that far in the book though yet to comment:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

10. Infatuation

Infatuation New Member

I don't believe Simon Reynolds is the Godly-being you all seem to profess.

I thought his book 'rip it up and start again' was quite light, and didn't reach any depth or much information. I mean simply look at the Devoto section, then gain nothing more than a paper-cut as your mind attempts to leave your body.

11. Worm

I'm reading Paul Morley's book on Joy Division. It's pretty good. Although he sticks to his main subject, he covers some of the same ground Reynolds does in describing the post-punk scene of '78-'79.

12. Worm

Come now. It was one book telling the story of about 50 bands. He couldn't spend 100 pages on Howard Devoto, could he?

Incidentally I read a wonderful anecdote in Morley's book: Devoto approached Iggy Pop with a copy of "Spiral Scratch". He handed it to him, saying "I've got all your records. Now you've got all of mine". Sparkling!

Not as good as Joyce, though, who met Yeats and dismissively told him, "It's a shame I've met you only now. You're too old for me to help you".