New PiL record powered by butter and little Britain

The Seeker of Good Songs

It seem like it that John Lydon (Public Image Limited aka PiL) is constantly running out of money. Lydon has now revealed that his work on the Country Life butter advertising campaigns has made it possible for him to regroup and record new material with Public Image Ltd.. Lydon: "I'm permanently out of pocket, but I've got news for you, from the first day I started PiL I was out of pocket. For me it's an ongoing process. For 18 years I haven't been able to fund this, so when that butter advert came along I was more than ecstatic."
Here's a video of the said - rather tasty - commercial.

It's not exactly the first (and last) time that Lydon is seeking for money via the television. In 2005, he appeared in "Reynebeau & Rotten", a five episode documentary on Canvas, the cultural channel of the Flemish public broadcaster VRT. In the doc Lydon guided Belgian journalist Marc Reynebeau through Great Britain in a chauffeured Rolls Royce, having a go at things typically 'British'. When asked why he was chosen as a guide, he simply answered: "I was the cheapest one available." He luuuuuves the butter alright...

After the show had been broadcast, Lydon claimed in an interview with the popular Belgian rag magazine HUMO that he was very unhappy with the way they handled post-production and was very angry with the way they depicted him in this particular show. He claimed that the creators mainly showed his humorous, sometimes clownish antics, instead of focusing on his personal opinions and arguably philosophical conversations he had with Marc Reynebeau. Lydon was also infuriated that the production company used songs from the Sex Pistols' catalogue, without consulting all the remaining members of the band, including him.

Below is a video of John Lydon and Marc Reynebeau travelling to Mudgley in Somerset to try some authentic English Scrumpy at Wilkins Framhouse Cider. A detail that puts the above comments from Lydon in perspective: this video and others taken from the documentary are available from Lydon's very own YouTube channel... I hasn't been that bad after all one would think.

When it comes to money, the band has always had budget problems: "You've got to understand with is that every single time we recorded we only had one take, no money. The Jam would pull out of Goldhawk Road. We knew they'd left so we'd run in, quickly record it, and that's 'Metal Box' for you. That's basically the John Lydon approach to music - wham, bam, thank you ma'am."

Public Image Limited (PiL) are an English musical group formed in 1978 by vocalist John Lydon, guitarist Keith Levene, and bassist Jah Wobble. Rising from the ashes of the pivotal punk rock group the Sex Pistols, PiL branched out to a more experimental sound, and their early work is often regarded as some of the most challenging and innovative music of the post-punk era.

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=44860_0_2_0_C

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely fascinating. As coincidence would have it I'm listening to Careering at the moment!:lbf:

a mug of scrumpy, a little butter, he needs to sell some nice brown bread now...:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom