New Order's Peter Hook guilty of autograph fraud and more

The Seeker of Good Songs

october07012009.jpg

In an interview with the UK radio station XFM New Order and Joy Division bassist Peter Hook has admitted to conning record collectors and memorabilia sellers by faking the signature of his late bandmate Ian Curtis. The bassist was reminded of his scam when he recently stumbled across an autographed record in his hometown of Manchester:
  • "There's some guy in the Northern Quarter who had 'An Ideal For Living' up and it was signed by all four members of the band and dated. I went in and said, have you not noticed that the date is after Ian died? He went, Oh no! It was me, I did them as a joke! In very poor taste. It was up there for £200, so my name is now mud among collectors. Bernard [Sumner]'s signature is much more valuable than mine, because he never signed anything! And I did have a reputation for doing Ian Curtis's autograph for a long time."
You can listen to the whole interview here.

Hook seems to have a love for faking not just signatures. Several videos popped up on since 2008 already claiming that Peter Hook is also a DJ Fraud. On the video below you can see/hear how Peter Hook is playing a CD off the cover of Mixmag. On another clip on YouTube you can even hear a Mixmag jingle off the CD.

The bass player also discussed his upcoming signing tour in aid of his new book, "The Hacienda - How Not To Run A Club", during the show on XFM. The book which handles the history of the famous Manchester club The Hacienda will dish the dirt on Factory Records' super club, which opened in 1982 and came to an end in 1997, having run into financial problems after the rise of acid house in the late '80s:

• "What a f*** up we made of it. Or did we? Sitting here now I wonder. It’s 2009 and the Hacienda has never been more well-known. This year we celebrate 21 years of acid house and we are holding Haçienda nights across the UK and have merchandise deals for CDs, t-shirts, shoes, posters, even a bespoke bike frame and a fine art project. Where will it end?"
Peter Hook has already run into legal difficulties over some of the stories in the book, as detailed in a lengthy post on his MySpace blog, in which he invited readers to guess what the deleted names were in such stories as: "Check that XXXXX did use a lot of Nazi stuff - it looks as if it is very much a matter of record" and "We also have a problem potentially with XXXX being called a smack head. Might not she and XXXX also complain about the sexual reference?"

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=43649_0_2_0_C

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: New Order's Peter Hook guilty of autograph fraud and more...

typical hooky, thats why we love him. as far the dj thing goes loads do it if there not getting paid enough. as long as the dancefloors full then thats all that matters.

So Hook's a liar, thief and crook.....no surprise there then.

he's a c***. but then again so were most of the factory crowd.

Good for Hooky!
:thumb:

:laughing:

so sad! :straightface:

Back
Top Bottom