New NME Morrissey interview???

seems i might be doing this alone given the response... but just in case anybody else feels like taking this route - here are the NME top ten most popular artists as listed on their site. I am going to try and track down a contact for all of them. :)

Top 10 artists
Our most popular artists:
01. Babyshambles
02. Oasis
03. The Killers
04. The Libertines
05. The White Stripes
06. Franz Ferdinand
07. Coldplay
08. Strokes
09. Kings of Leon
10. Bloc Party

Ok. Here are some random thoughts.

It is important to set clear goals and successfully achieve them. What goals should be set?

What is in it for the bands you suggest? Would it be better to target their fans?

Immigration is a very difficult and separate issue. Our issue should not be the benefits or disadvantages of immigration but to avenge for the hatchet job on Morrissey. That is the issue. Being drawn into an is Morrissey racist debate is now more boring than discussing his sexual interests or lack of and also part of their goal. People are intelligent enough to source the facts for themselves and make their own minds up.

It seems the music industry are already aware Conor McNicholas is not to be trusted. Is a personal attack on him going to achieve anything? Would a better strategy not be to discredit him or cost him?

Could Tim Jonze write a piece on this episode for The guardian?

Top 10 artists
Our most popular artists:
01. Babyshambles- Big Moz fans
02. Oasis- Big Moz fans
03. The Killers Big Moz fans
04. The Libertines Big Moz fans
05. The White Stripes ?
06. Franz Ferdinand ?
07. Coldplay ?
08. Strokes ?
09. Kings of Leon ?
10. Bloc Party Big Moz fans

Tame

If anyone thinks what he said is in any way controversial or shocking, they must live very sheltered lives. Go to a pub of an evening and you'll hear exactly the same, only ten times worse. Or open a copy of the Daily Mail or The Sun.

Still, it's all publicity for the NME and the album I suppose...

Re: Tame

Funnily enough I was down the pub last night and in your pub vernacular raised the immigration subject....

Cue f***ing this, f***ing that blah blah blah.

Have you seen this?

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/11/mozgate.html

THere's an interesting exchange between Alex Needham and Dave Simpson (among others) at the end.

Ta! There was no comments when I saw that page yesterday. You may be able to spot from my posts that since this NME went on sale, I've been awake for more hours than I should. I've also been to work and saw Celtic beat Shakhtar Donetsk in an emotional CL football game.

Once I've slept. I should revisit them also and sift out the best.

other than getting an injunction before it was distributed there was little they could do. merck could hardly have gone to the nme offices, arms flailing, yelling "stop the presses!" on little more than not having his phone call returned, while being reassured that any implication that the nme wasn't going to play nice were "rumours and untruths".

I was suggesting just that, an injunction. It would have been easy to get. They fancied the publicity too, they let the article run and THEN responded. Merck is giving poor advice, he's not someone Moz should trust.

The best and funniest thing about the whole NME article is that it ends with the NME basically disassociating themselves of anything to do with Morrissey, about 10 pages later there is the advert for the six-night Roundhouse gigs, clearly stampted SOLD OUT.

Perfect.

Yeah they don't support his 'views' but they're very happy to take his money for advertising two weeks in a row.

Am I supposed to take your post seriously when your sig is so offensive? What's your problem with Beth Ditto, you just want a cheap laugh?

I was suggesting just that, an injunction. It would have been easy to get. They fancied the publicity too, they let the article run and THEN responded. Merck is giving poor advice, he's not someone Moz should trust.

Merck is good enough to gain trust from Morrissey, otherwise they'd gone separate ways.

Merck is good enough to gain trust from Morrissey, otherwise they'd gone separate ways.

Moz has spent his entire career trusting people he shouldn't and getting shafted by them. He has unreasonably high expectations of people that they can never meet. I do not trust Merck one bit and Moz is a poor judge of character for letting this clown represent him.

Moz has spent his entire career trusting people he shouldn't and getting shafted by them. He has unreasonably high expectations of people that they can never meet. I do not trust Merck one bit and Moz is a poor judge of character for letting this clown represent him.

For example? :confused:

After a night to sleep on it, I now realise he's been incredibly stupid in several ways. He left England well over a decade ago to live elsewhere and it had nothing at all to do with immigration but some parts of the interview makes it appear like that, which is disappointing. It is not impossible to say the word immigration and actually have a sane conversation about it but NME is not the place for that.

I don't believe that when he talks about the 'England I miss' he's talking about the reality of what life was like in the 70s when he grew up here but his perception of England. He's not a historian, nor claiming to be one. Who doesn't have a rose tinted version of their youth when the reality for adults at the time was likely different? It's a simple yearning for the simplicity of youth and childhood. Despite that, ask anyone over 50 if England was bleak in the 70s and they'll say it was - the weather, the three day week, leading to the strikes and the Tories as the decade ended.

What's really upset me is that his comments will be used by Daily Mail types and their ilk to support a 'Morrissey's right, I hate foreigners too' point of view which I absolutely do not believe he thinks. I don't think anyone who already has right wing views will have gotten them from him yesterday nor will his interview suddenly convert people into racists. He had nothing to gain by the interview since, historically, NME have always had it in for him. It was a mistake to even talk to them and I don't think he's tripped himself up in the sense that his 'real views' have now been aired. He's said nothing in the interview that he hasn't said before - that England has changed and he doesn't like it much anymore so he lives elsewhere. The interview makes it sound like he left England because of all the immigrants which is not true at all. His reason for leaving was because of politics and the press, he had no love for New Labour nor Blair and moved to LA the second he was elected.

NME have ruined their relationship with him forever and for what? One week of better sales.

(UNscheduled day off work as I'm moving to pastures new with my 2 bags hence a letter.... to the NME letters page)

The NME's approach to this whole article has been deplorable. Could you inform the readership/ general public what the NME's views on immigration are? And to splash two separate benign comments (as the editor readily admitted in a e-mail correspondence) together onto the front cover reeks of sensationalism.

Morrissey seemingly spouted forth like millions in this country do about the subject in any pub up and down the country. Go on get out of London and listen. While I don't agree with his viewpoint; you have given no credible alternative apart from imply through your front page cover and bizarre editorial opinion that Morrissey is seemingly the new Enoch Powell!?! He just said what millions think. To treat the issue of immigration as racist fodder is completely missing the point and your trivial analysis of it does no favours to anyone. There was no debate in the article, just you being overtly PC.

In an interview with Morrissey in 2004 similar ground was covered but the NME didn't raise any objection then. The immigration question was just as pertinent then as it is now.

A remarkable hatchet job? Tabloid fodder journalism? A few more copies sold?? Honestly the NME used to be the holy bible of music publications but went downhill about the time that the last Morrissey racist furore occurred. And now its just scraping the gutter.

Anyone with even a basic level of intelligence reading the article will be able to see straight through the NME. It is so clumsily written and Morrissey's comments are so mild that you couldn't possibly draw any other conclusion that they are trying to stitch him up.

The problem is, most people these days are too lazy to seek out the original material in order to make their own minds up. They will read the headlines (the tabloids are saying it was a "rant") and make up their minds from that. The worst for this are those people who imagine themselves to be right on lefty liberals. You can see their knee jerk reactions all over the Guardian blogs.

Hopefully the people understand what the tabloids are. Most people here are ashamed to even pick one up in the checkout line. Once or twice I have seen one at someone's house and they always have to explain that it was given to them by their old aunt, "She buys these. I just think they are funny."

Possibly in England the tabloids are held in higher esteem, (I mean, look at the music papers) but Morrissey will be given plenty of opportunity to make his views clear, and I'm sure he will come out of this fine.

Back
Top Bottom