New Morrissey songs - official(ish) reviews

A

Anonymous

There have been a few reviews of the two new songs which have been released to date. Thought it would be interesting to gather them (and any new ones) together in one thread. Things are looking pretty positive at the mo. Odd that Istanbul hasn't been added to playlists (of the Morrissey-friendly stations, at least) as it's been gathering widespread acclaim but maybe it will next week.

www.underthegunreview.net/2014/05/20/required-listening-morrissey-istanbul/
The man we treat like a deity who goes by the name Morrissey has released a new song that further solidifies our undying devotion to everything he creates. Arriving online a week after the title track to World Peace Is None Of Your Business surfaced, “Istanbul” finds Morrissey channeling his funk influences through a groovy track about loss and growing up. Moz’s signature melancholy delivery plays well with the uptempo nature of the music, resulting in a deeply satisfying listening experience whether it’s your first or fiftieth spin.

www.stereogum.com/1682641/morrissey-instanbul/mp3s/
“Istanbul” was one of the World Peace Is None Of Your Business songs Morrissey reinterpreted as spoken wordlast week. Now the actual song is here, and it’s tremendous — a typically suave rocker powered by unexpectedly feral guitar riffs and groovy percussion.

www.stereogum.com/1683150/the-5-best-songs-of-the-week-45/franchises/the-5-best-songs-of-the-week/
Morrissey’s outsized persona makes his side gig as a maudlin, self-righteous bastard so entertaining that sometimes I forget how fantastically talented the guy is at his day job. “Istanbul” plays out like “How Soon Is Now” reborn as a gnarly, swaggering blues-rock beast — undergirded by guttural guitar scuzz, peppered with percussion straight out of “Sympathy For The Devil,” swirling with Bond-movie strings. But all that pageantry can’t match the majesty of Moz simply opening his mouth to warble. Even when singing a story-song about a father searching for his son in Turkey instead of dressing down the crown or bemoaning his own miserable fortune, he is unmistakable and unf***witable. His every quaver remains a revelation. –Chris

www.nme.com/reviews/various-artists/15325
You spend years waiting for someone to write a decent protest song, only for it to arrive in the most peculiar fashion. 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' just is Morrissey's most overtly political song ever, with not a single word wasted, and not a single intonation left unconsidered. "Each time you vote, you support the process" is the sucker punch, delivered three times in a row but - and here's why it's so great – sung in a way that's warmer and more inviting than anything he's done in years. A more than welcome return.

"Please will you grant us an interview?"

"Please will you grant us an interview?"

True for the big music mags (NME etc) - not for the tiny websites, like the following.
http://rocknycliveandrecorded.com/morrissey-istanbul-reviewed.html

"World Peace Is None Of Your Business is the upcoming release from our dear Mozziah. The first single released last week was so awful that I honestly believed it was a prank. God awful lyrics backed up by the overworked production of a an engineer with an ax to grind.
This week we were served up ‘Istanbul”, a more swinging bassy tune. Musically its fantastic. Bass and drum carry this from swaying to exotic and back again with ease. Vocally Morrissey is back sounding strong and steady. Not that nasal Moz but the over enunciated chest vocal he offers up when he means it. But.. and it’s a big butt……the lyrics are horrible. The effort of making the words rhyme over make sense took a hold of his pen and wouldn’t let go. Is it a rap? Otherwise there was no need for the sing song lyrical line endings.
The Mozerians will rejoice as mobs often due but in my effort to remain objective amongst the mayhem I cannot let the lyrics slide. The story is fine- much like any other world issue blather but ugh, c’mon with that last word echo.
The trend of offering up a spoken word version of each tune prior to dropping is pretty cute- but even this scotch drinking vid is just acceptable. My prediction is the tune is dynamic live simply because of its music. The tune is up on Spotify and the spoken word is below.
Final single release goes down next Wednesday… will it be even better than this? I’m thinking yes."

There have been a few reviews of the two new songs which have been released to date. Thought it would be interesting to gather them (and any new ones) together in one thread. Things are looking pretty positive at the mo. Odd that Istanbul hasn't been added to playlists (of the Morrissey-friendly stations, at least) as it's been gathering widespread acclaim but maybe it will next week.

www.underthegunreview.net/2014/05/20/required-listening-morrissey-istanbul/
The man we treat like a deity who goes by the name Morrissey has released a new song that further solidifies our undying devotion to everything he creates. Arriving online a week after the title track to World Peace Is None Of Your Business surfaced, “Istanbul” finds Morrissey channeling his funk influences through a groovy track about loss and growing up. Moz’s signature melancholy delivery plays well with the uptempo nature of the music, resulting in a deeply satisfying listening experience whether it’s your first or fiftieth spin.

www.stereogum.com/1682641/morrissey-instanbul/mp3s/
“Istanbul” was one of the World Peace Is None Of Your Business songs Morrissey reinterpreted as spoken wordlast week. Now the actual song is here, and it’s tremendous — a typically suave rocker powered by unexpectedly feral guitar riffs and groovy percussion.

www.stereogum.com/1683150/the-5-best-songs-of-the-week-45/franchises/the-5-best-songs-of-the-week/
Morrissey’s outsized persona makes his side gig as a maudlin, self-righteous bastard so entertaining that sometimes I forget how fantastically talented the guy is at his day job. “Istanbul” plays out like “How Soon Is Now” reborn as a gnarly, swaggering blues-rock beast — undergirded by guttural guitar scuzz, peppered with percussion straight out of “Sympathy For The Devil,” swirling with Bond-movie strings. But all that pageantry can’t match the majesty of Moz simply opening his mouth to warble. Even when singing a story-song about a father searching for his son in Turkey instead of dressing down the crown or bemoaning his own miserable fortune, he is unmistakable and unf***witable. His every quaver remains a revelation. –Chris

www.nme.com/reviews/various-artists/15325
You spend years waiting for someone to write a decent protest song, only for it to arrive in the most peculiar fashion. 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' just is Morrissey's most overtly political song ever, with not a single word wasted, and not a single intonation left unconsidered. "Each time you vote, you support the process" is the sucker punch, delivered three times in a row but - and here's why it's so great – sung in a way that's warmer and more inviting than anything he's done in years. A more than welcome return.

Some really fine notes/allusions here in these reviews. "Sympathy" I hadn't noticed, but it's there in Istanbul, as is "Gimme Shelter". Perhaps it's a knowing musical Boz-nod to Morrissey's belated conversion to the grandeur of The Rolling Stones? However, these reviews are hedging their bets till the album comes out as they have career interests in not jumping the gun/critical consensus. I'm very clear it's the best song "Morrissey" has ever had the good fortune to be a co-collaborator on and the words, vocals and music are seamless perfection on both singles, but Istanbul is spectral and pregnant with radical political import, so ever so slightly edges ahead of the lead track WPINOYB. Not that my opinion matters, of course. It's not like i know anyone in the music biz and can crush/resurrect anyone's career with a stroke of my quill. Is it? I'm a nobody, trapped in Mom's Basement and nobody reads these thread anyway, do they? *smiles*

best
BB

Best BB.

Back
Top Bottom