New Morrissey song, 'I am Veronica'

I agree about subjectivity, ambiguity is also one of the main characteristics of Morrissey's writing in general. There's beauty in having different interpretations.
Absolutely! Morrissey's lyrics have a distinct style that often features ambiguity, which allows listeners to draw their own interpretations and make personal connections with the music. This can add depth and richness to the songs, and can make them more meaningful and memorable for individual listeners. The beauty of this style is that it allows for a wide range of interpretations, making the songs relevant and relatable to many people in different ways. This is one of the reasons why Morrissey's music has been so enduring and has had such a significant impact on popular culture.

Bumping this.

@Famous when dead - has Miley done any interviews anywhere since this was recorded where the interviewer asks her side of the story about her contribution to the song? Or has she been completely silent about it? Or simply not asked?

Also, re: this -

In 2020, American singer Miley Cyrus recorded backing vocals for the song "I Am Veronica". According to Morrissey, Cyrus, a long-time admirer of him and The Smiths, volunteered to provide her vocals for the song, and later offered to appear in a music video for the song.[7] He reflected favourably on his time working with Miley Cyrus, and described "every minute" he spent with her as "loving and funny".[7]

Do we know if said music video was shot? Or only talked about?

That she wanted to appear in the music video contradicts the idea that she was supposed to go uncredited.
She never said she wanted to be in the video for the song from which she wants her vocals removed. Do you even read what you post?

Bumping this.

@Famous when dead - has Miley done any interviews anywhere since this was recorded where the interviewer asks her side of the story about her contribution to the song? Or has she been completely silent about it? Or simply not asked?

Also, re: this -

a long-time admirer of him and The Smiths, volunteered to provide her vocals for the song, and later offered to appear in a music video for the song.[7] He reflected favourably on his time working with Miley Cyrus, and described "every minute" he spent with her as "loving and funny".[7]

Do we know if said music video was shot? Or only talked about?
None & no.
The only video mention was: "She asked if she could be in the 'Veronica' video. I was very honored." which the off-site Wiki entry you cite misstates as "offered to appear" (despite referencing the source). That's about the sum total of anything online and all things subsequent of the initial information appears derived from the "When You Are The Quarry" article linked above and the asides made at concerts.
Regards,
FWD.

None & no.
The only video mention was: "She asked if she could be in the 'Veronica' video. I was very honored." which the off-site Wiki entry you cite misstates as "offered to appear" (despite referencing the source). That's about the sum total of anything online and all things subsequent of the initial information appears derived from the "When You Are The Quarry" article linked above and the asides made at concerts.
Regards,
FWD.
Yes Moz did indeed state that in the When You Are The Quarry statement - and there is little reason to doubt him. She is or was a big fan. Of course she would have asked to be in the video. What fan wouldn't?

Was this not before she signed to Columbia?
Her vocals are suggested to have been recorded in 2020 and she signed to Columbia in March, 2021.
Regards,
FWD.

Her vocals are suggested to have been recorded in 2020 and she signed to Columbia in March, 2021.
Regards,
FWD.
Her promise to appear in a video may have predated her signing to Columbia.

Strange to me that a video was even being discussed.

Her promise to appear in a video may have predated her signing to Columbia.

Strange to me that a video was even being discussed.
Why would it be strange? If it was meant to be the single, a video for it seems natural.

Was this not before she signed to Columbia?
That's a very good point. Columbia shouldn't have had a problem with it though, if it was agreed prior to her signing with them.

None & no.
Regards,
FWD.
What would be the difference between asking if she could be in the video and "offering to appear"?

What would be the difference between asking if she could be in the video and "offering to appear"?
I was being as pedantic as the off-site Wiki can be. Hence: "despite referencing the source". The only information out there was his quote - so why change it, just quote it. The prior anon then morphs all that in to "promise to appear" - which isn't what was said at all and exactly why quoting is a better idea.
FWD.

I was being as pedantic as the off-site Wiki can be. Hence: "despite referencing the source". The only information out there was his quote - so why change it, just quote it. The prior anon then morphs all that in to "promise to appear" - which isn't what was said at all and exactly why quoting is a better idea.
FWD.
Haha yeah one can see how that can happen.

Why would it be strange? If it was meant to be the single, a video for it seems natural.

That's a very good point. Columbia shouldn't have had a problem with it though, if it was agreed prior to her signing with them.
Veronica may have always been lined up as a theoretical single. Miley may have offered to appear in any video that was released to support this single.

Veronica is lined up as the actual first single, after signing with Capitol. However, after mentioning Miley’s involvement, Veronica cannot be released as a single. Rebels appears instead. Morrissey’s own account complicates things by suggesting it was to do with an internal dispute, not a disagreement in values or even a clash between record label interests.

So Miley’s induction to Columbia potentially complicates her original promise to appear - visibly - in a Veronica video that would reveal her to be part of the studio track mix.

Bloody hell it’s like reading runes with this album cycle.

Veronica may have always been lined up as a theoretical single. Miley may have offered to appear in any video that was released to support this single.

Veronica is lined up as the actual first single, after signing with Capitol. However, after mentioning Miley’s involvement, Veronica cannot be released as a single. Rebels appears instead. Morrissey’s own account complicates things by suggesting it was to do with an internal dispute, not a disagreement in values or even a clash between record label interests.

So Miley’s induction to Columbia potentially complicates her original promise to appear - visibly - in a Veronica video that would reveal her to be part of the studio track mix.

Bloody hell it’s like reading runes with this album cycle.
Yeah, Morrissey gave an entirely different reason than his then manager (I believe) gave. The whole thing's so odd. And then it somehow went from that to the album not being released at all!

Back
Top Bottom