New Morrissey song, 'I am Veronica'

Maybe it sounded better than boring old bisexual, who knows.

I guess David did …

They interviewed David Johansen: “Well, are you bisexual?” And David Johansen said, “No, I’m trisexual. I’ll try anything once.”

I guess David did …

They interviewed David Johansen: “Well, are you bisexual?” And David Johansen said, “No, I’m trisexual. I’ll try anything once.”
I’ve never got the feeling that any of the dolls were that way inclined ?
I always got the impression that they were all pussy, drink, drugs inclined ???

I guess David did …

Trisexual would make sense today because we got the M/F/X labels.

BTW, I quite liked the word ‘humasexual’, it was a clever way of getting around the usual labels.

Well if it’s not an equal chance, then it’s a losing chance. Anyway, it’s about a matter of time and peoples changing views and who they will accept as a president or not that seems to make the difference, in regards to who has a chance or not. Though of course there are other factors in that sale.
Then it's a losing chance. Not everyone wins but these days people think everyone gets a medal for participation.

Then it's a losing chance. Not everyone wins but these days people think everyone gets a medal for
Then it's a losing chance. Not everyone wins but these days people think everyone gets a medal for participation.
A product of participation......??

The first album by The Thompson
Twins ... 1981

I don't think he was pandering.

He does feel oppressed by straight men - he's outright said it in interviews - & his heroes come from the 70s civil rights movements.
Morrissey says a lot of things, he has also said he says things he doesn't mean.

Oh come on Vex... Really? When Mozz was on the gay scene in the 70s what do you think he was doing? Do you think he got on the wrong bus or something and ended up in Huddersfield by mistake 😬
I think Mozz is more out of the closet than you give him credit for.

I was trying to be respectful of his private life! 😁

I don't think he was pandering.

He does feel oppressed by straight men - he's outright said it in interviews - & his heroes come from the 70s civil rights movements.
Well I've never heard those interviews. Got any links?

The lyrics describe a person named Veronica who plays a game older than America and believes that everyone has a unique spot allocated for them in life. The game she plays could be chess. Veronica encourages others to make their mark and not to waste this opportunity. The metaphor of sliding into someone's pocket and pressing a finger on the top bell suggests taking control and making a bold move. Repeating "last chance" and "very last go" emphasize the urgency of this message. Mentioning that help can come from unexpected places, such as dolphins and fish, and even the wisdom of owls, as these references to wildlife and nature suggest a connection to the natural world and a sense of harmony and balance, encourage (as the lyrics overall do) taking a chance and convey a message of hope, inspiration, and encouragement to live life to the fullest.

The phrase "slide me into your pocket now and press your finger hard on the top bell" is primarily used as a metaphor for sending a text message or making a phone call. The "sliding into someone's pocket" refers to accessing someone's phone and "pressing a finger on the top bell" refers to tapping on the screen to send a message or make a call. However, it could be interpreted more broadly as a way to contact someone or urgently get their attention through a device they carry with them, such as a smartphone or a pager.

BONUS:
Here are alternative lyrics to a song meditating around the same tune:

Veronica plays a game, older than America
Believes in a place, unique for everyone's drama
With pieces to move, and battles to be won
She's making her mark, under the setting sun

Slide me into your pocket now, press your finger hard on the top bell
Last chance! Very last go! Don't let life slip through like a shell!
Dolphins will guide you! Fish will lead the way!
Owls will impart their wisdom! Don't miss your chance today!

Veronica knows, that life is just a game
With chances to take, and risks to claim
Don't waste the opportunity, don't be left behind
Make your mark, and let your light shine

[Bridge]
Help can come from unexpected places, in the form of nature's grace
Dare to take a chance, and live life to the fullest space
Veronica's message is clear, don't waste a single day
Take control, and make your mark, in your own unique way

Outro:
Veronica plays her game, with confidence and grace
Believes in a place, for everyone to find their place
With a message of hope, inspiration, and encouragement
She encourages us all, to live life to the fullest moment.

Last edited:
The lyrics describe a person named Veronica who plays a game older than America and believes that everyone has a unique spot allocated for them in life. The game she plays could be chess. Veronica encourages others to make their mark and not to waste this opportunity. The metaphor of sliding into someone's pocket and pressing a finger on the top bell suggests taking control and making a bold move. Repeating "last chance" and "very last go" emphasize the urgency of this message. Mentioning that help can come from unexpected places, such as dolphins and fish, and even the wisdom of owls, as these references to wildlife and nature suggest a connection to the natural world and a sense of harmony and balance, encourage (as the lyrics overall do) taking a chance and convey a message of hope, inspiration, and encouragement to live life to the fullest.

The phrase "slide me into your pocket now and press your finger hard on the top bell" is primarily used as a metaphor for sending a text message or making a phone call. The "sliding into someone's pocket" refers to accessing someone's phone and "pressing a finger on the top bell" refers to tapping on the screen to send a message or make a call. However, it could be interpreted more broadly as a way to contact someone or urgently get their attention through a device they carry with them, such as a smartphone or a pager.

BONUS:
Here are alternative lyrics to a song meditating around the same tune:

Veronica plays a game, older than America
Believes in a place, unique for everyone's drama
With pieces to move, and battles to be won
She's making her mark, under the setting sun

Veronica knows, that life is just a game
With chances to take, and risks to claim
Don't waste the opportunity, don't be left behind
Make your mark, and let your light shine

[Bridge]
Help can come from unexpected places, in the form of nature's grace
Dare to take a chance, and live life to the fullest space
Veronica's message is clear, don't waste a single day
Take control, and make your mark, in your own unique way

Outro:
Veronica plays her game, with confidence and grace
Believes in a place, for everyone to find their place
With a message of hope, inspiration, and encouragement
She encourages us all, to live life to the fullest moment.
You have really given this some thought! Not sure what 'Don't let life slip through like a shell!' means? Morrissey's song is still a puzzle to me. The game could be the mating game, the dating game or bowls (all popular where I come from). I think Veronica is generic for traditional Catholic lady - I keep finding examples: just recently found it's Cilla Black's middle name, Madonna's Confirmation name and Miley plays a character Veronica in her movie The Last Song. In fact, I keep seeing things I try to make fit into the narrative e.g. this clip from Shoot the Piano Player.

For me, the line "the game I play is older than America" refers to prostitution, which is considered to be the world's oldest occupation.

For me, the line "the game I play is older than America" refers to prostitution, which is considered to be the world's oldest occupation.
Yes, that interpretation is possible. The line "the game I play is older than America" could indeed refer to prostitution, which is often considered one of the oldest professions. In this context, "Veronica" could be interpreted as a representation of the idea of a sex worker/whore. The reference to the game being older than America reinforces the idea that prostitution has been around for a long time and continues to be relevant.

However, it's important to note that interpretation of lyrics can be subjective, and different people can have different interpretations of the same line. The interpretation that the line refers to prostitution is just one of many possible interpretations, and the meaning of the lyrics can vary based on the individual listener's experiences and perspectives.

Yes, that interpretation is possible. The line "the game I play is older than America" could indeed refer to prostitution, which is often considered one of the oldest professions. In this context, "Veronica" could be interpreted as a representation of the idea of a sex worker/whore. The reference to the game being older than America reinforces the idea that prostitution has been around for a long time and continues to be relevant.

However, it's important to note that interpretation of lyrics can be subjective, and different people can have different interpretations of the same line. The interpretation that the line refers to prostitution is just one of many possible interpretations, and the meaning of the lyrics can vary based on the individual listener's experiences and perspectives.
I agree about subjectivity, ambiguity is also one of the main characteristics of Morrissey's writing in general. There's beauty in having different interpretations.

Back
Top Bottom