New Morrissey song, 'I am Veronica'

Easily one of his worst songs for me, I find the lyrics borderline offensive And the music too baroque.
A moronic song. Definitely one of his very, very worst.

He can't have written the stuff about Estonia and the burgers with a straight face. And besides, compared to the grandiose drivel of WPINOYB, the lyrics to AINTW are actually not that bad.

For haven't you me with you now?
I'm not saying it was with a straight face but the lines about the President hasn't been female, gay or black is cringe of the highest order and it's one of the reasons Quarry is not the great album everyone thinks it is.

I'm not saying it was with a straight face but the lines about the President hasn't been female, gay or black is cringe of the highest order and it's one of the reasons Quarry is not the great album everyone thinks it is.
I agree that those lines aren’t among his strongest, but they rang very true back in 2004 and you could tell he meant it. The naming of countries in pain, in WPINOYB, however, is tear-inducingly cringeworthy.

I agree it's cringe, it's identity politics, and very disappointing coming from Morrissey

America is not the World is the worst song he's ever written lyrically.
Not even close. I'm sorry, but there is only one song that stands alone as the greatest steaming dogturd in Morrissey's lyrical sandpit.
May I present to you the following, in all its mind-numbing, thuddingly awful glory: :sick: :poop:

Say daddy, who will protect us from the police?
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Say daddy, there are flames high in the sky tonight
The tanks on the street, attacking free speech
We must pay for what we believe
We must be killed for what we believe
Say daddy, I'm sorry, I just cannot believe you
Say daddy, I'm sorry, I just cannot believe
What should I do? What should I do?
Baby please run
You were right all along
Baby please run
Baby please run
Venezuela
Venezuela
Venezuela
Venezuela
Venezuela

I agree it's cringe, it's identity politics, and very disappointing coming from Morrissey

It's not identity politics - it's old-fashioned being pissed off at being excluded.

It might be difficult to remember, but being black, female or gay used to be a serious career disadvantage.

It's not identity politics - it's old-fashioned being pissed off at being excluded.

It might be difficult to remember, but being black, female or gay used to be a serious career disadvantage.
I have to disagree with you, the gender or color of the president or anyone should not matter, qualifications should matter.
Hillary has run twice, no one wanted her for president because she is Hillary, not because she is a woman. Obama won against her once, first black president, he was a disaster - but not because he's black. The popular vote against Trump does not count, it just doesn't, the electoral college does.
Now we have a black female VP who is just an embarassment, even the Dems are distancing themself from her and it seems Buttigieg might be who the Dems are backing for 2024, a gay man who is failing in his present post.

I agree that those lines aren’t among his strongest, but they rang very true back in 2004 and you could tell he meant it. The naming of countries in pain, in WPINOYB, however, is tear-inducingly cringeworthy.
Totally agree about that line mentioning the countries in WPINOYB being utter cringe, but singing a line lamenting the day a President is gay, black or female are the scribblings of a teenager and a very misinformed one at that. I don't really want to get political here but that won't solve shit. The fact that he meant those lines makes it even worse and even more cringeworthy. I think the reason we have never heard it live says volumes. The Morrissey of today would be thinking - "How and why did I write that song?".

Last edited:

It is identity politics 101. It's box ticking at its worst. Being excluded from winning the Presidency regardless of one's so called traits isn't exactly a valid reason to get on one's soap box and cry foul. Your worst offence in running for President is to be an atheist. As soon as you mention you don't believe in god your f***ed.

Not even close. I'm sorry, but there is only one song that stands alone as the greatest steaming dogturd in Morrissey's lyrical sandpit.
May I present to you the following, in all its mind-numbing, thuddingly awful glory: :sick: :poop:

Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Baby, God will
Say daddy, there are flames high in the sky tonight
The tanks on the street, attacking free speech
We must be killed for what we believe
Say daddy, I'm sorry, I just cannot believe you
Say daddy, I'm sorry, I just cannot believe
Baby please run
You were right all along
Baby please run
Baby please run
Venezuela
Venezuela
Venezuela
Venezuela
Venezuela
I used to think that about this song but apply it to Covid and how the Police behaved just following orders and the song works just fine.

I have to disagree with you, the gender or color of the president or anyone should not matter, qualifications should matter.
Hillary has run twice, no one wanted her for president because she is Hillary, not because she is a woman. Obama won against her once, first black president, he was a disaster - but not because he's black. The popular vote against Trump does not count, it just doesn't, the electoral college does.
Now we have a black female VP who is just an embarassment, even the Dems are distancing themself from her and it seems Buttigieg might be who the Dems are backing for 2024, a gay man who is failing in his present post.

It shouldn't matter, but it did.

It is identity politics 101. It's box ticking at its worst. Being excluded from winning the Presidency regardless of one's so called traits isn't exactly a valid reason to get on one's soap box and cry foul. Your worst offence in running for President is to be an atheist. As soon as you mention you don't believe in god your f***ed.

It's not box ticking - it's wishing you had a chance.

Being black, gay or female used to mean you were unlikely to run for President.
But people did, Shirley Chisolm and Jesse Jackson come to mind.
2004 was the year that Obama spoke at the Democratic National Convention and we all knew he was being primed for president, he won two terms. I voted for him.

I do think Morrissey was pandering with that one, just like I believe he was pandering with the George Floyd hashtag or whatever he did that day, I really doubt he supports Black Lives Matter, or he would if he was paying attention to the things they do.

But people did, Shirley Chisolm and Jesse Jackson come to mind.
2004 was the year that Obama spoke at the Democratic National Convention and we all knew he was being primed for president, he won two terms. I voted for him.

I do think Morrissey was pandering with that one, just like I believe he was pandering with the George Floyd hashtag or whatever he did that day, I really doubt he supports Black Lives Matter, or he would if he was paying attention to the things they do.

Why wouldn't Morrissey support Black Lives Matter? Are you saying he is racist?

yes atheism is an identity, Morrissey could have just as well of sang ‘But where the president is never black, female, gay or atheist’. Guess he forgot to tick that box! :lbf:

Back
Top Bottom