New Morrissey song, 'I am Veronica'

No Moz song is weaker than WPINOYB. That’s the ultimate nadir of his career.
here’s 5 worse off the top of me head:
The Girl in Tel Aviv who wouldn’t kneel
Mexico
All the Young People..
I just want to see the boy happy
America is not the world

Mexico
All the Young People..
America is not the world
All in my top 40 🙄
Apart from see the boy happy

Mexico
All the Young People..
America is not the world
America is not the World is the worst song he's ever written lyrically.

Mexico
All the Young People..
America is not the world
The Girl…and possibly ATYPMFIL, are probably as bad as WPINOYB. Horrible songs. The rest I don’t agree with. Mexico is atmospheric and sweet, IJWTSTBH is a belter, and if it wasn’t for the silly lyrics, AINTW would be killer, because the music and the melody are really strong.

It was even worse when played live In Hull when I was there.
We were all trapped as Mozz gave out his orders that the bar must stay closed during his stint 😩😩😩
Ha! He said that?

America is not the World is the worst song he's ever written lyrically.
Those lyrics aren’t worse than the WPINOYB lyrics. At least the AINTW lyrics has a tongue-in-cheek quality to them. It feels like he knew he was writing some silly shit for the hell of it. Not saying they’re great lyrics, though.

Jim Jim was pretty cool, WP totally sucked and should have been the closing track.
After whole night of thinking , Jim Jim Falls may be his best opening track . My Love, I'd Do Anything for You is a real killer and "Now my heart is full" is what it is . Maladjusted is a amazing opener too. Yes, Veronica isn't great idea to open an album .

After whole night of thinking , Jim Jim Falls may be his best opening track . My Love, I'd Do Anything for You is a real killer and "Now my heart is full" is what it is . Maladjusted is a amazing opener too.

Yes, Veronica isn't great idea to open an album .

How can folks make that kind of judgment before even hearing the other songs ? Solo is weird.

How can folks make that kind of judgment before even hearing the other songs ? Solo is weird.
Just for fun , there are more serious things in life . ;)
Besides, the studio version should not differ too much from the one we heard at the concerts
You can always change your mind . So when Bonfire finally comes out in a few years, my perspective on Veronica may be different. I will write about it, I give you my word . 🙋‍♂️

Last edited:
Just for fun ,
fair enough, I think.
Besides, the studio version should not differ too much from the one we heard at the concerts

Yes but we haven’t heard the other songs, so we don’t know yet if Veronica was or was not
a good choice to be the opening song on the album, is what I’m saying.

You cant think of 40 Morrissey songs better than "all the young people"?
Depends what day it is.
My fave Moz tunes change on a daily basis I’m afraid.
It does get tiresome trying to put his singles and albums in to any kind of a list.

Deserving of its own thread?
So...
  • It starts with a pleasant enough jangly riff
  • Morrissey launches straight into what appears to be the chorus
  • Opening line is, 'I, I, I, I, I am Veronica, the game I play is older than America'.
  • Seems to be a backing vocal in the chorus, too (did Morrissey mention that the producer did all the backing vocals?)
  • I think Sam described it as up there (or even better than) This Charming Man and First of the Gang
  • Morrissey hasn't announced that he's been signed - if he's releasing a clip of a properly recorded song but without a deal, that's a first in his career
  • Anything else? Any idea who co-wrote?
Question - have Boz or Jesse Tobias been performing with Moz recently?

Those lyrics aren’t worse than the WPINOYB lyrics. At least the AINTW lyrics has a tongue-in-cheek quality to them. It feels like he knew he was writing some silly shit for the hell of it. Not saying they’re great lyrics, though.
Ah no, I'm sorry but there's no tongue in cheek in that song at all. You get points for trying though. He's deadly serious in that song and thinks he's actually written something profound there. Where is the irony in AINTW? I like the music though.

Mexico
All the Young People..
America is not the world
You need to knock Mexico and All the young people off the top of your head.

Ah no, I'm sorry but there's no tongue in cheek in that song at all. You get points for trying though. He's deadly serious in that song and thinks he's actually written something profound there. Where is the irony in AINTW? I like the music though.
He can't have written the stuff about Estonia and the burgers with a straight face. And besides, compared to the grandiose drivel of WPINOYB, the lyrics to AINTW are actually not that bad.

For haven't you me with you now?

Back
Top Bottom