New Morrissey song, 'I am Veronica'

Lovely to hear a snippet but I do wish Morrissey would treat his fanbase better than this though. Unless the Vegas promoters have actually stolen this clip then Morrissey must have approved the use of this snippet, he knows full well his fans will be desperate for more.

Just a note to update his fans on where he is with respect to the album release or a single release, it wouldn't hurt.
Yup, hopefully we‘ll get the update next week.
My guess is a two album deal is already signed.

I really hope so. A two album deal sounds right given Alain has been brought in to work on new material, there must be a plan somewhere to actually release that!

Nah. If he has signed a record deal, there would no better moment to announce it than when announcing new dates in Las Vegas. He's just putting the snippet out in order to sell more tickets and trying to whip up interest in this never-ending quest for a contract.

You missed out one letter

If ya interested in "hit with a letter missin' ", check out the Save The Soil thread.
Animal "hit with a letter missin' ", is vital in regeneratin' the nutrients in Soil!
We're tryin' to raise awareness in 3.5 billion people.
Ya got the know how and energy to help Skinny!

Nah. If he has signed a record deal, there would no better moment to announce it than when announcing new dates in Las Vegas. He's just putting the snippet out in order to sell more tickets and trying to whip up interest in this never-ending quest for a contract.
Yeah, in my opinion nothing has been signed yet. He's going to use this series of concerts as a showcase to try and drum up interest. I expect we'll get two or three new songs, and as many record company bigwigs and A&R chaps given complimentary tickets as possible.

Yeah, in my opinion nothing has been signed yet. He's going to use this series of concerts as a showcase to try and drum up interest. I expect we'll get two or three new songs, and as many record company bigwigs and A&R chaps given complimentary tickets as possible.
I can how this works for someone looking for their first record deal but not an artist who has proven themselves over 40 years. Everybody who needs to hear the songs will have already heard them. Surely nobody on earth needs any validation of what he sounds like live.

Sure, the A&R folks may have been sent the songs on the modern day equivalent of a demo tape, but if execs are mulling over the possibility of a potentially costly deal, then seeing the artist at the top of their game, performing new songs to an enthuesiastic sold-out Vegas crowd, and setting a few merch sales records at the same time, may well help tip the balance and convince them to put in a bid.

It's not really any different to what Moz did pre-'You Are the Quarry' by previewing 'First of the Gang to Die' and playing high profile shows at the Royal Albert Hall etc- the only difference this time is that he already has the record in the bag, so is just looking to license the recordings.

Sounds more like Morrissey being auto tuned on the word Veronica most notably
I don't hear auto tune at all. He probably has an effect on his voice like a lot of his songs do. The fact that his voice live sounds just as good as it does on his albums to me means he doesn't use it. Plus a singer who talks as passionately as he does about the singer's voice is hardly going to tread the path of auto tune.

I don't hear auto tune at all. He probably has an effect on his voice like a lot of his songs do. The fact that his voice live sounds just as good as it does on his albums to me means he doesn't use it. Plus a singer who talks as passionately as he does about the singer's voice is hardly going to tread the path of auto tune.

The more I listen the more I hear auto-tune. But done as an effect rather than he needs it. Its just a done style these days sadly and wouldn't be surprised if new producer suggested it

The more I listen the more I hear auto-tune. But done as an effect rather than he needs it. Its just a done style these days sadly and wouldn't be surprised if new producer suggested it
Hmmm, I'm picturing the look on Morrissey's face after hearing that suggestion :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I'm picturing the look on Morrissey's face after hearing that suggestion :rolleyes:
I think he’s far more receptive to experimentation (good or bad) than he was in the past. It’s not like he hasn’t had effects put on his voice before and as I say, auto-tune is more often used now as a styled effect rather than a cover up for poor singing.

My 5 year old loves the little snippet of “I am Veronica” if that’s any indication as to how catchy is the song.

Does this mean that the audience at Vegas will be mostly five year olds ?

I think he’s far more receptive to experimentation (good or bad) than he was in the past. It’s not like he hasn’t had effects put on his voice before and as I say, auto-tune is more often used now as a styled effect rather than a cover up for poor singing.

Actually, I hear the autotune a little on Jesse’s guitar, though it’s not being used as a stylistic effect, rather it’s being used to correct his playing.

If any autotune is used, I would not be suprised if producers did a little quiet 'fixing' without informing Moz, knowing how touchy he is. Tell him 'that's great' after they know he's not going to do any more takes, and then smooth out the odd rough note when he's not present. Producers have to be tactful knowing they could get fired at any moment.

If Morrissey doesn't manage to rhyme the word 'Veronica' with 'harmonica' at least once during the full song, I shall be very disappointed. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom