New Morrissey song, 'I am Veronica'

Clip without overdub on tour thread

These kinds of songs are no longer hits these days, unfortunately.
It would do well for a Morrissey song if the likes of Radio 2 and 6 Music played it, which it sounds like they would have done until all the For Britain (etc) nonsense. The question is whether their (effective) boycott is indefinite...

Some decent radio airplay is about the most Moz can hope for these days. Hes never going to have a 'hit' single again - not unless some track of his starts randomly trending on TikTok.

Of course, not much can be gleaned from this snatch - matron!
I like the words and vocal
I expect Sam wasn't the type to properly enjoy the smiths. He seems more like a light hip hop person So, I do not take his better than Charming Man, comment serious, at all

If First Of The Gang To Die was to vanish, I wouldn't mind. Its just a people pleasing song for certain part of his fanbase, FOTGTD and that picture Jake took of M, dressed like a Mexican Mariachi, made me loose a lot of respect for M
It was so pleading

This song, guitar wise , sounds like what type of people live in these houses , a little. Which to me was one of the worst songs on Dog. I liked the words and music but it sounded like Jesse trying to be Alain W, trying to be Johnny Marr - this is why it makes no sense for Johnny haters, to make out Johnny is crap, when loads of M's solo records are just aping Johnny

people know M can shift tickets, especially after Covid etc, the trouble is he doesn't shift that many records. Actually by all accounts he has lost about 40% of his audience
I dont say this in a hater way, I just do not see how he is gonna get a label of any note to sign him. BMG really could have been brilliant , likes Sparks and Suede.
But he crashed that car in epic style - which is remarkable when you think how he messed up the last deal. It got so bitter the lp got pulled

I really hop he gets a deal soon though

I expect Sam wasn't the type to properly enjoy the smiths. He seems more like a light hip hop person So, I do not take his better than Charming Man, comment serious, at all

If First Of The Gang To Die was to vanish, I wouldn't mind. Its just a people pleasing song for certain part of his fanbase, FOTGTD and that picture Jake took of M, dressed like a Mexican Mariachi, made me loose a lot of respect for M
It was so pleading

This song, guitar wise , sounds like what type of people live in these houses , a little. Which to me was one of the worst songs on Dog. I liked the words and music but it sounded like Jesse trying to be Alain W, trying to be Johnny Marr - this is why it makes no sense for Johnny haters, to make out Johnny is crap, when loads of M's solo records are just aping Johnny

people know M can shift tickets, especially after Covid etc, the trouble is he doesn't shift that many records. Actually by all accounts he has lost about 40% of his audience
I dont say this in a hater way, I just do not see how he is gonna get a label of any note to sign him. BMG really could have been brilliant , likes Sparks and Suede.
But he crashed that car in epic style - which is remarkable when you think how he messed up the last deal. It got so bitter the lp got pulled

What would it take for your respect for M to tighten back up?

It was so pleading

I hate to say it, but plenty of tickets left for Vegas during pre-sale. They are not cheap either.

You missed out one letter
400full.jpg

It was so pleading
Morrissey's audience size has taken a pounding since 2018 (his biggest UK arena tour ever, solo or Smith), and we all know why. His live audience is down in the UK by 25% to 50% and album sales down by 70%-80%.
But even with his album sales down from 50,000-100,000 to under 10,000, that's still similar numbers to other acts who manage to put out new albums (with actual record companies) such as Sting, Billy Bragg, The Flaming Lips, James and Damon Albarn. So, he could easily still get signed but he has to accept that the offers he's receiving are bound to be for an act that sells many fewer albums than he managed to sell pre 2019.
Interesting point about the Johnny Marr jangle but I don't think Marr really does that anymore - he seems to favour music that sounds like a forgettable b-side by the Charlatans so I'm all for Morrissey going down the jangly guitar route.
The clip of Veronica is too short for me to form a solid opinion but it sounds like a pretty good Morrissey single, rather than one of the best things he's done but I look forward to hearing the whole thing and hope to be proved wrong.

Morrissey's audience size has taken a pounding since 2018 (his biggest UK arena tour ever, solo or Smith), and we all know why. His live audience is down in the UK by 25% to 50% and album sales down by 70%-80%.
But even with his album sales down from 50,000-100,000 to under 10,000, that's still similar numbers to other acts who manage to put out new albums (with actual record companies) such as Sting, Billy Bragg, The Flaming Lips, James and Damon Albarn. So, he could easily still get signed but he has to accept that the offers he's receiving are bound to be for an act that sells many fewer albums than he managed to sell pre 2019.
Interesting point about the Johnny Marr jangle but I don't think Marr really does that anymore - he seems to favour music that sounds like a forgettable b-side by the Charlatans so I'm all for Morrissey going down the jangly guitar route.
The clip of Veronica is too short for me to form a solid opinion but it sounds like a pretty good Morrissey single, rather than one of the best things he's done but I look forward to hearing the whole thing and hope to be proved wrong.
I doubt very much that Morrissey will embark on another UK tour ever again, and given the way he's treated by the UK press I can't say I blame him. Though I do hope I'm wrong.

This really interests me.

A genuine, if perhaps dumb, question: could you say more of these "loads . . . aping Johnny".

I ask because I really wouldn't know. I'm quite musically illiterate, hardly even knowing what a chord is.

And I don't know if you mean they ape Johnny in terms of instrumentation or chords or both?

And, unlike you, I loved What Kind of People which sounds somewhat Smithsy to my untrained ears and thus somewhat Marrsy, I guess.

Someone here suggested What Kind of People bore resemblances to Bragg's Sexuality co-written by Marr.

Honestly, I wouldn't know. But I am really very curious if there have been attempts to ape (or even plagiarise?) Marr.

Any thoughts here gratefully appreciated!

Last edited:
Perhaps this topic has been discussed elsewhere? Any links to any discussions of this also gratefully appreciated!

It was so pleading
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the picture a homage to the cover of a Herb Alpert album? Dunno why you'd lose respect for him for tipping the hat to ole herb.

herb.jpg
moz.jpg

This really interests me.

A genuine, if perhaps dumb, question: could you say more of these "loads . . . aping Johnny".

I ask because I really wouldn't know. I'm quite musically illiterate, hardly even knowing what a chord is.

And I don't know if you mean they ape Johnny in terms of instrumentation or chords or both?

And, unlike you, I loved What Kind of People which sounds somewhat Smithsy to my untrained ears and thus somewhat Marrsy, I guess.

Someone here suggested What Kind of People bore resemblances to Bragg's Sexuality co-written by Marr.

Honestly, I wouldn't know. But I am really very curious if there have been attempts to ape (or even plagiarise?) Marr.

Any thoughts here gratefully appreciated!
I thought the song could've been lifted straight from Billy Bragg's 'Worker's Playtime'

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the picture a homage to the cover of a Herb Alpert album? Dunno why you'd lose respect for him for tipping the hat to ole herb.

View attachment 80070View attachment 80071
hi_2009_pariscd1_2~2.jpg

Definitely a thing.
In IG comments, Jake asserts it was Alpert's jacket - not convinced it is the actual one, but he's definitely an influence during that period.
Regards,
FWD.

so how do we hear this masterpiece please
break into andrew watts house and if it isnt there,his studio,we know he has a copy,easy, in and out in five minutes.
ben if you need a hand i know a few crooks that could help,one is called robin banks and the other is a guy called jack shit.

Lovely to hear a snippet but I do wish Morrissey would treat his fanbase better than this though. Unless the Vegas promoters have actually stolen this clip then Morrissey must have approved the use of this snippet, he knows full well his fans will be desperate for more.

Just a note to update his fans on where he is with respect to the album release or a single release, it wouldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom