New Morrissey song, 'I am Veronica'

Mike Rourke

Deserving of its own thread?
So...
  • It starts with a pleasant enough jangly riff
  • Morrissey launches straight into what appears to be the chorus
  • Opening line is, 'I, I, I, I, I am Veronica, the game I play is older than America'.
  • Seems to be a backing vocal in the chorus, too (did Morrissey mention that the producer did all the backing vocals?)
  • I think Sam described it as up there (or even better than) This Charming Man and First of the Gang
  • Morrissey hasn't announced that he's been signed - if he's releasing a clip of a properly recorded song but without a deal, that's a first in his career
  • Anything else? Any idea who co-wrote?

‘The game I play is older than America’

I’m guessing it may be about him being a singer, or an artist that strongly feels that they have something that needs to be expressed.
Sounds more like it's about a hooker. Which would be typical Moz lyrically, off the top of my head songs about prostitues/rent boys - Picadilly Palare, Maladjusted, Istanbul, etc...

Sounds more like it's about a hooker. Which would be typical Moz lyrically, off the top of my head songs about prostitues/rent boys - Picadilly Palare, Maladjusted, Istanbul, etc...

Maybe the character Veronica is one(?) and he’s equating that profession with the profession of being a singer?

Both professions are older than America.

• Veronica Bennett (born 1943), American singer better known as Ronnie Spector.

Greek, Latin. Meaning. she who brings victory, true image.

Last edited:
Not sure if its the quality of the file or what but good lord that sounds like some intense autotune

Yes the backing vocals do sound pitched up. Don’t know if that’s autotune though, could be.

So...
  • It starts with a pleasant enough jangly riff
  • Morrissey launches straight into what appears to be the chorus
  • Opening line is, 'I, I, I, I, I am Veronica, the game I play is older than America'.
  • Seems to be a backing vocal in the chorus, too (did Morrissey mention that the producer did all the backing vocals?)
  • I think Sam described it as up there (or even better than) This Charming Man and First of the Gang
  • Morrissey hasn't announced that he's been signed - if he's releasing a clip of a properly recorded song but without a deal, that's a first in his career
  • Anything else? Any idea who co-wrote?
I Think Jesse Tobias Wrote It With Morrissey ..

Not enough to really have a strong opinion yet but hopefully this is a good sign for new music soon.

so how do we hear this masterpiece please

Here
ta

yeah i can't really gauge the success of the next era of Morrissey based on that snippet, sorry

In lieu of the album proper, at least we’ll have live versions. And Morrissey always translates the album versions live very well (in the odd case, TOO well: ahem - Art-hounds).

In lieu of the album proper, at least we’ll have live versions. And Morrissey always translates the album versions live very well (in the odd case, TOO well: ahem - Art-hounds).
Don’t. I still haven’t gotten over the disappointment of the studio version of Art-hounds.

Sounds more like Morrissey being auto tuned on the word Veronica most notably

Yeah, maybe. I think I hear something(?) but still can’t really hear it, maybe I will when it’s properly released. Though with the direction of Dog, and now working with a younger producer, it wouldn’t be surprising to see M reaching for more of a modern sound. Which I have no qualms with.

Mexico was miles better live too

The ad seems sped up

So...

Yes, that is noteworthy. I didn't think so earlier but starting to think we're going to hear some new songs live even without a record deal. Perhaps at Cruel World but most likely at the residency.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom