New Morrissey interview mentions Bowie, start of new album entirely of covers (12 songs) - Infobae

Morrissey, entrevistado por Infobae: “David Bowie abandonó el talento y la vocación en 1980” - Infobae (Argentina)

Morrissey, interviewed by Infobae: "David Bowie abandoned talent and vocation in 1980"
Before the start of his tour of the region, the charismatic and talented English musician spoke with Infobae Cultura about his way of composing, his upcoming tour, his rejection of the post-80 Bowie and announced that he will release a new album composed entirely of covers

By Nicolás Pichersky
August 4, 2018
Infobae Cultura interviewed this great artist via email. A Morrissey, as always, to dry. Morrissey, like Wilde, Sinatra, Brando: one of the most evocative pop artists of the last four decades.

- You usually write along with other musicians (as in The Smiths did with Johnny Marr) Could you tell us about your creative process?
- There is no such thing as a process in itself. The songs are based on my experience and in general conform to some musical structure. I have a strong sense of melody and usually this is the root and center of each of my songs.

- In the maturity and peak of his career, unlike other artists (like Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney), you have never used the classic songbooks for your records.
- Well, just yesterday I started recording what will be my new album: it will be entirely covers and with 12 songs. So you see: I'm already doing what many say I would never do!

- In his autobiography he tells how David Bowie insistently looked for him for a joint project. Now that Bowie is gone: what is the strangest thing about him?
- I will never forget the respect I had for him when I was very, very young because England was still going through a violent and skinhead era and he emerged with his great melodies and a confrontational image together with a feminine appearance. And with all that he had to fight against those who criticized him: and it was a miracle because he triumphed. The press in general called it "a national disgrace." Now they love him, of course ... But his talent and vocation left him in 1980: his music became a professional career and, since that time, singing or composing did not bring him new challenges and pleasures. And in this sense, the effort he had to make with thereafter is obvious.

The tug-of-war that Moz maintains with the press (not of his country, but of the whole world) is known. And the almost infantile hatred of Morrissey towards the media is transparent, something that he initiates in his autobiography, dedicating to him the subject numerous pages and placing himself in a place of victim and of J'accuse ...! of pop music. Of course, your opinions do not help much.

Morrissey seems to be a contradictory man: the newspapers have accused him of xenophobic or intolerant attitudes (with certain objectivity: just read his statements) or close to the extreme right. But at the same time, he maintains a critical attitude toward the English empire or the era of Margaret Thatcher. Just read the Jacobin subtitle of his latest album: on the cover, a boy holds a banner that says, without subtleties, "Guillotine to the monarchy."

- Does Morrissey feel comfortable with some traditional political stance?

- In the United Kingdom a couple of "hate" diaries have led a disparaging campaign against me: everything I say or think is constructed and treated as "diabolical". This is because they are extreme left, which is why my criticisms of the ritual slaughter of animals, clitoris ablation or immigration without control, do not fit in with their philosophy. And unfortunately the left extremists control the most important media in England, so there is no possible multicultural debate: if you mess with those issues, your opinions are repressed by this fragile left that does not even submit them to consideration. My band, which has been with me for years, is multi-ethnic, my most recent album has a dedication to Dick Gregory, one of the most important American civil rights activists there was. And my lyrics try to observe the diversity of what happens in Turkey, Israel, Ukraine, Egypt, France, Italy, Spain or Barein. And, all in all, these two "hate" newspapers label me as racist. I never met any racist person and I think the idea of xenophobia is absurd. But the English media are in the "Age of idiocy" and accuse anyone who asks for an open discussion as a racist.Help!

Morrissey, 'the big mouth' as he has so often sung, 'attacks back'. He seems to see red flags as if he were in the middle of the Cold War (and as if he had been born in Kansas, more than in Manchester). Will he believe in his perception of the ideological shift to the left of the media that a reactionary and popular tabloid like The Sun is now progressive?

On the end, and despite discarding the post-80 Bowie (love, modern and danceable: from Modern love to New killer star ), a joke or an ironic praise is left to him in his last response.

- Could you tell us something about your show in Buenos Aires?
- Yes: I will be on stage with a giant glass chandelier. That would be a good idea, right? ( N of R: The Glass Spider Tour was a famous world tour of David Bowie during the 80s ).

* Morrissey will visit this part of the world from November 22nd and 23rd, in Mexico; Peru (27/11); Brazil (30/11 and 2/12), Argentina (7/12) and will close in Chile (14 and 15/12)

Last edited by a moderator:
A Morrissey album of cover versions sounds very interesting to me. Intrigued to see what songs he selects. Hopefully 12 songs we’ve never heard him play before & a different producer. Chicarelli ruined the last two albums. He could suck the life out of the liveliest of performances. He just turns everything to lumpen stodge.

I love his defiance regarding the hateful press in the U.K.; a lesser man would’ve made some pathetic public apology or attempted to explain what he ‘really meant’ by now. But not our Moz. He’s never dignified the accusations of plebs with a response & I love him for that. He’ll just keep doing his thing & speaking his mind whilst once so-callled fans & media drones with their own agendas froth at the mouth & spew their bile into this mental world we live in.

Oh, & he’s right about Bowie & everyone knows it.

He should probably give Blackstar another spin, though. It’s actually pretty f***ing brilliant.

Last edited:
I think Bowie was very disappointing from 1980 until about 1993 when the Jump They Say single was out, and the album it was from also featured a great cover of I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday.

The album Let's Dance might have been a big seller, but can anyone name any of the other tracks after the title track, China Girl and Modern Love? It was certainly worlds apart from Hunky Dory but, after 1993 there were another half a dozen decent records until Blackstar was released which was excellent.
1.outside is genius

he should cover don mccleans "Vincent" <3
No. No he shouldn’t. Nobody should cover that song. Nobody has anything to add to it. ...least of all Moperrissey.

He should cover “Going to the Garden to Eat Worms”. Maybe “It’s My Party”. Aside from that? When the f*** did Morrissey EVER release a decent cover?

Only thing worse than the pap this clown has released for the past 15 years are his present crop of half-wit fans. f***ing sad, really.

Bowie is obviously above him and beyond him I agree.
But Reed certainly isn’t. I’d say VU and Smiths both were as influential, VU perhaps slightly more but Smiths with more commercial success. Solo Reed had the bigger hits, but Moz the longer and more even career.
I saw Reed and Pop - and Patti - open for Moz at Hop Farm festival a few years ago. It was pretty clear who had the most appeal there :)

I adore Morrissey/The Smiths but to claim that their influence is anywhere near that of Reed/V.U is ludicrous.

Ask literally anybody (other than yourself) ;-)

It's funny how the idea of doing covers has become so frowned upon and even trashy in terms of making records. Covers used to be pretty standard and common.

There are TONS of songs, even some more classic folk songs, that Morrissey could do if he really wanted to do a covers album that would be innovative and have wide and lasting appeal. Just look at what Johnny Cash was able to do with some well-chosen cover songs, and he was on his death-bed.

I like what Johnny did here. Everything posted on this thread so far has been covers of old songs. It might be interesting to hear him put his unique touch on some of the newer material of the day. Introducing him to the modern world of downloads as opposed to the record store dustbins of the past.

Last edited:
No. No he shouldn’t. Nobody should cover that song. Nobody has anything to add to it. ...least of all Moperrissey.

He should cover “Going to the Garden to Eat Worms”. Maybe “It’s My Party”. Aside from that? When the f*** did Morrissey EVER release a decent cover?

Only thing worse than the pap this clown has released for the past 15 years are his present crop of half-wit fans. f***ing sad, really.
he should cover it and dedicate it to meeeeeeeeeee for coming up with the idea! <3 <3 <3

I like what Johnny did here. Everything posted on this thread so far has been covers of old songs. It might be interesting to hear him put his unique touch on some of the newer material of the day. Introducing him to the modern world of downloads as opposed to the record store dustbins of the past.

I suppose Morrissey could always try his hand at rap.

I suppose Morrissey could always try his hand at rap.

I was thinking more modern rock. I know very little about what is out now and if he were to make a cover album of newer music I would be more likely to listen than blasts from the past. However, you may be right that the music landscape today has been leveled by rap. I am in my musical bomb shelter so I have no idea.

Artists didn’t appear on The Johnny Carson Show to not be seen, though. I think he was trying to sell his soul/break America. It’s just nobody was buying in sufficient numbers, perhaps in part because it was off the back of a poor album like Kill Uncle.

To me it seems a shame that the foremost lyricist of his generation is planning a covers album. That’s all. I’d rather he released a World Peace style travesty.

I was living in America in 1991 & saw Morrissey on his first couple of tours there. He was huge. The concerts were wild. The fans hysterical. He sold out Madison Square Garden & The Hollywood Bowl in a nano-second.

This is why he appeared on such a show: he was a BIG DEAL! He wasn’t looking for attention; he already had it. Morrissey was loved in America then & still is now, over a quarter of a century later.

And not only in America. The rest of the world couldn’t care less what a bunch of reactionary whingebags on a rainy little island think of one of their finest sons; he has fans across the globe that don’t wish to see him be-headed over a few comments taken out of context & blown out of all proportion. They love him for his voice & his wit & his honesty & his catchy, original songs & subject matter. & that’s really all any of us should be judging him on.

A couple of tracks up for consideration:

Games People Play:thumbsup:
Walk a Mile in My Shoes:thumbsup:
Heart of Glass:thumbsup:
Be My Baby:thumbsup:

songs not up for consideration: all SPARKS:thumbsdown: all JAMES:barf:
all CHARLATANS:swear
all DramaJ:mask:

Not sure you're right there. Which big post-Smiths bands with guitars weren't influenced by The Smiths? Not many.

Take all of those guitar bands & line them up next to everyone The Velvet Underground influenced & you’ll see how laughable your argument is.

Bowie wouldn’t have been Bowie if not for his love of Lou Reed & The Velvets.

Even Morrissey would agree with me. He would put Reed in his Mount Rushmore of absolute songwriting God’s. He listed his top 10 albums of all time on TTY several years ago & the top two positions were held by The Velvet Underground; White Light, White Heat at 2 & their debut at 1.

There are teams of boffins at Harvard who have spent decades attempting to calculate the immense influence of The Velvet Underground & it’s making their poor brains hurt.

(note: I made that last bit up but it doesn’t mean it’s not true ;-))

Not sure you're right there. Which big post-Smiths bands with guitars weren't influenced by The Smiths? Not many.

I don’t know. Bush don’t sound like the smiths to me. Nor do oasis for that matter. Noel and the rest might be fans of the smiths buts that doesn’t mean they were influenced by the music or even character/image with Liam shouting get your tits out etc and oasis were the biggest band in Britain at that time

Aubrey, continuing on with the cover ideas - I'd really like him to use this!
I think this one fits more with your original idea, as far as style and subject goes.

photo: Jayne Mansfield departs Rotterdam by helicopter, 1957.

View attachment 45314

Actually, that one is really good, and it does cohere with his style. The reason I think he should go with Bardot, though, is because not only was she incredibly foxy in her day (she was "good in her time") but because she's aged into a passionate defender of animal rights, not to mention a so-called "Islamophobe." Given all the recent controversy, a picture of the young Bardot would be a great F.U. to the P.C. centrist dads (and the centrist moms who henpeck them) who comprise his legion of Guardian-reading detractors. It would be a timely choice.

Continuing with the speculation about songs, I think a girl-group selection would be a mistake. "Golden Lights" is the nadir of the Smiths catalogue. I thought his cover of "Back on the Chain Gang" was decent, but not a good fit for him. If he wants to rectify his Pretenders selection, I say "Mystery Achievement." And Black Francis once said he's always wanted to write a song for Morrissey, so I nominate "Head On" by the Pixies. Let Jesse Tobias play guitar on that one, and it will be a good note for him to exit on.

Tags
california son info
Back
Top Bottom