New Morrissey interview mentions Bowie, start of new album entirely of covers (12 songs) - Infobae

Morrissey, entrevistado por Infobae: “David Bowie abandonó el talento y la vocación en 1980” - Infobae (Argentina)

Morrissey, interviewed by Infobae: "David Bowie abandoned talent and vocation in 1980"
Before the start of his tour of the region, the charismatic and talented English musician spoke with Infobae Cultura about his way of composing, his upcoming tour, his rejection of the post-80 Bowie and announced that he will release a new album composed entirely of covers

By Nicolás Pichersky
August 4, 2018
Infobae Cultura interviewed this great artist via email. A Morrissey, as always, to dry. Morrissey, like Wilde, Sinatra, Brando: one of the most evocative pop artists of the last four decades.

- You usually write along with other musicians (as in The Smiths did with Johnny Marr) Could you tell us about your creative process?
- There is no such thing as a process in itself. The songs are based on my experience and in general conform to some musical structure. I have a strong sense of melody and usually this is the root and center of each of my songs.

- In the maturity and peak of his career, unlike other artists (like Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney), you have never used the classic songbooks for your records.
- Well, just yesterday I started recording what will be my new album: it will be entirely covers and with 12 songs. So you see: I'm already doing what many say I would never do!

- In his autobiography he tells how David Bowie insistently looked for him for a joint project. Now that Bowie is gone: what is the strangest thing about him?
- I will never forget the respect I had for him when I was very, very young because England was still going through a violent and skinhead era and he emerged with his great melodies and a confrontational image together with a feminine appearance. And with all that he had to fight against those who criticized him: and it was a miracle because he triumphed. The press in general called it "a national disgrace." Now they love him, of course ... But his talent and vocation left him in 1980: his music became a professional career and, since that time, singing or composing did not bring him new challenges and pleasures. And in this sense, the effort he had to make with thereafter is obvious.

The tug-of-war that Moz maintains with the press (not of his country, but of the whole world) is known. And the almost infantile hatred of Morrissey towards the media is transparent, something that he initiates in his autobiography, dedicating to him the subject numerous pages and placing himself in a place of victim and of J'accuse ...! of pop music. Of course, your opinions do not help much.

Morrissey seems to be a contradictory man: the newspapers have accused him of xenophobic or intolerant attitudes (with certain objectivity: just read his statements) or close to the extreme right. But at the same time, he maintains a critical attitude toward the English empire or the era of Margaret Thatcher. Just read the Jacobin subtitle of his latest album: on the cover, a boy holds a banner that says, without subtleties, "Guillotine to the monarchy."

- Does Morrissey feel comfortable with some traditional political stance?

- In the United Kingdom a couple of "hate" diaries have led a disparaging campaign against me: everything I say or think is constructed and treated as "diabolical". This is because they are extreme left, which is why my criticisms of the ritual slaughter of animals, clitoris ablation or immigration without control, do not fit in with their philosophy. And unfortunately the left extremists control the most important media in England, so there is no possible multicultural debate: if you mess with those issues, your opinions are repressed by this fragile left that does not even submit them to consideration. My band, which has been with me for years, is multi-ethnic, my most recent album has a dedication to Dick Gregory, one of the most important American civil rights activists there was. And my lyrics try to observe the diversity of what happens in Turkey, Israel, Ukraine, Egypt, France, Italy, Spain or Barein. And, all in all, these two "hate" newspapers label me as racist. I never met any racist person and I think the idea of xenophobia is absurd. But the English media are in the "Age of idiocy" and accuse anyone who asks for an open discussion as a racist.Help!

Morrissey, 'the big mouth' as he has so often sung, 'attacks back'. He seems to see red flags as if he were in the middle of the Cold War (and as if he had been born in Kansas, more than in Manchester). Will he believe in his perception of the ideological shift to the left of the media that a reactionary and popular tabloid like The Sun is now progressive?

On the end, and despite discarding the post-80 Bowie (love, modern and danceable: from Modern love to New killer star ), a joke or an ironic praise is left to him in his last response.

- Could you tell us something about your show in Buenos Aires?
- Yes: I will be on stage with a giant glass chandelier. That would be a good idea, right? ( N of R: The Glass Spider Tour was a famous world tour of David Bowie during the 80s ).

* Morrissey will visit this part of the world from November 22nd and 23rd, in Mexico; Peru (27/11); Brazil (30/11 and 2/12), Argentina (7/12) and will close in Chile (14 and 15/12)

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny enough, time ago suggested in a private message via Facebook why not an album with cover versions, as he has done so many in the past. I wonder if it will be a compilation of the ones he has done until now or he'll do new ones.
I don't think he's being fair with saying David Bowie was no good from the 80 till now. Another sign of Mozz being stuck in the past.

Oh I don’t know...

He seems pretty invested in sucking the corporate cock there.

That's my point, if he had, as a lot of "popular" artists have done, he would have gotten further. He's appeared on many shows over the years and on his own terms.
His career has lasted longer than most due to his "lovely singing voice" and his individuality as an artist.
I'm not sure how much Boz s dancing contributed but I would love to see those moves at the next concert.

Bowie is obviously above him and beyond him I agree.
But Reed certainly isn’t. I’d say VU and Smiths both were as influential, VU perhaps slightly more but Smiths with more commercial success. Solo Reed had the bigger hits, but Moz the longer and more even career.
I saw Reed and Pop - and Patti - open for Moz at Hop Farm festival a few years ago. It was pretty clear who had the most appeal there :)
I think they will all go down in history, Morrissey included. But with Lou and the Velvets, they were the blasting cap that the dynamite needed to explode, so I think for sheer historical contributions, he will always be remembered and venerated to a degree. Iggy Pop is just synonymous with a certain American enthusiasm and excess, and honestly, I think the photos taken of him in his prime will outlive his music and lead people back to it. Think of the shot of him in the silver pants, standing atop the crowd. Iconic.

I do think that Morrissey vs Bowie has a bit of the Joan Crawford/Bette Davis about it. Morrissey makes his own problems, despite his success, because of a need to be admired, but afraid to let anyone close. I get the feeling that he'll wrestle with what it means to be a success, as well as happy, all the way to the grave.

Bahrain.
Ashes To Ashes came out in 1980 and that song, along with Start! by The Jam in 1980 are two of the biggest and best songs I remember from my youth. Bowie did some ok stuff after 1980 so I don't think its fair to write him off the way Moz does. But certainly his post 1980 career is barely a shadow of his pre 80's prime.

A Moz album of covers? Between that and This Is Morrissey I can't help but feel the barrel is being scraped. I just hope its not covers of Jobriath.

Start is just Taxman by the Beatles

I think they will all go down in history, Morrissey included. But with Lou and the Velvets, they were the blasting cap that the dynamite needed to explode, so I think for sheer historical contributions, he will always be remembered and venerated to a degree. Iggy Pop is just synonymous with a certain American enthusiasm and excess, and honestly, I think the photos taken of him in his prime will outlive his music and lead people back to it. Think of the shot of him in the silver pants, standing atop the crowd. Iconic.

I do think that Morrissey vs Bowie has a bit of the Joan Crawford/Bette Davis about it. Morrissey makes his own problems, despite his success, because of a need to be admired, but afraid to let anyone close. I get the feeling that he'll wrestle with what it means to be a success, as well as happy, all the way to the grave.
So I’m at this after party for the NIN/Bowie tour many a year ago, and my ex wife is sitting on a couch and this wisp of a man just falls right on top of her face forward, I’m bout to manhndle this guy for doing this when I realize it’s Iggy Pop! So I get him off of her gently, easily, he must’ve weighed nothing, and I stand there next to her whole long while Mr. Pop sleeps on the rest of the couch curled up like a cat...

The Vegas residency is happening.
What the f*** does this even mean? Prick

Morrissey, 'the big mouth' as he has so often sung, 'attacks back'. He seems to see red flags as if he were in the middle of the Cold War (and as if he had been born in Kansas, more than in Manchester). Will he believe in his perception of the ideological shift to the left of the media that a reactionary and popular tabloid like The Sun is now progressive

It must be particularly galling knowing just how close he was to the top table. He was within touching distance on the Johnny Carson Show in 1991 and he just didn’t quite stick the landing. Bad luck? Bad advice? We’ll never know.
I think he's one of those people who get uncomfortable when things are going too swimmingly and feel an overwhelming urge to create some drama and bugger it up. That's what held him back more than anything else, imo. It's a pattern he's repeated over and over and with increasing frequency in recent years.

The Vegas residency is happening.
What the f*** does this even mean? Prick

Morrissey, 'the big mouth' as he has so often sung, 'attacks back'. He seems to see red flags as if he were in the middle of the Cold War (and as if he had been born in Kansas, more than in Manchester). Will he believe in his perception of the ideological shift to the left of the media that a reactionary and popular tabloid like The Sun is now progressive
A Vegas residency has always been in his destiny imo...

Are you still haranguing around?

Not only did Bowie release a covers album, he released a pretty horrible covers album. Dylan too. In fact, I’m trying to think of a decent covers album. There was a pretty good charity album of Johnny Cash covers for the Terrence Higgins Trust in the late eighties called ‘Til Things Are Brighter. Kevin Rowland’s My Beauty is excellent, but he uses the choices on that album to track his life autobiographically and it is often rather moving, starting with the death of his mother and going through the toll taken by his drugs and mental health issues to a redemption of sorts.

Morrissey’s choices of cover versions throughout his career do not fill me with great hope. No-one Can Hold A Candle To You, Interlude, Floorboards. All pretty good, but there must be a dozen or more in which he just treads water. You’ll Be Around - why? To Give (Is The Reason I Live) is an OK song by Frankie Valli, but it’s still essentially only a Poundshop My Way. Does anyone think this proposal would have got off the ground if he’d gone ahead with the tour?

Covers albums are either stop gaps or full stops. If he doesn’t have any songs of his own ready to go I think he might do better to collate an official rarities release. If he has anything near the quality of the brilliant Blue Dreamers Eyes still salted away that might seem a far better project.

I think if the covers project is just a dozen songs he likes it could be a bit dull, but if he can create a theme of sorts as Rowland did it could tell us something about the man. If, however, it’s going to be random musical crimes of the Cramps, the Walker Brothers and Clive Dunn I don’t see the point. It won’t increase his profile and it won’t increase his bank balance.
I'm inclined to think a more interesting project would be a Morrissey covers album - a whole range of artists covering his songs. Leonard Cohen/I'm Your Man springs to mind as a template, with Teddy Thompson's particularly brilliant Tonight Will Be Fine.

Last edited:
Tags
california son info
Back
Top Bottom