Morrissey Central "New keyboard player." (May 6, 2023)

unnamed-2.jpg

Camila Grey will play keyboards on the forthcoming Morrissey tour of Israel / Ireland / England.

No surprise.
FWD.

Ok. Sometimes I think I've dealt with a lot since the 90s, but there are still more than enough people who are closer to it. I really misunderstood about Boz n Moz. Sorry.
Still, I think that at some point after the first comeback in 2002-2004 and the instant hit IBEH, Alain Whyte hoped for more than his eternal sidekick existence. Even if it was only secretly. Possibly he also stumbled over this in May 2004 mentally. Perhaps Tobias is more frugal and socially compatible (an absurdity) for his employer.
As I said: pure speculation

What you said about 'eternal sidekick existence'....it's sometimes a shame the band was called 'Morrissey' (so to speak), because at many times in Morrissey's solo career...it was the sound of the band that gave the songs their identity, it wasn't just about the vox/lyrics like it would've been on Kill Uncle, Cali Son, possibly BOT, or any other where the lineup/personnel wasn't consistent/time-tested.

The touring Morrissey Band were the ones making the great Morrissey records, for the most part. The best music to come out of Morrissey since The Smiths always involved his great stage band. (Viva Hate was still very good, and the players on that no doubt helped to give that album it's identity as well).

I can totally understand if Alain ever felt he deserved more recognition from the great songwriting/guitar playing/singing he provided to the Morrissey sound. Again, what a shame about his departure and Gustavo's. Let me say, like some others have --- here's to their possible return....or here's to good music from those two artists in the future. :guitar:

Personally, I’d have said much more and much worse than Moz, and I love Johnny too to be honest.

It needed to be said
The other way round I reckon - Johnny has been saintly holding his tongue whilst Morrissey has dragged the Smiths legacy through the dirt with his right wing views. He's lucky Marr never gave him a full bollocking in the press and denounced him utterly.

It had, but the open letter didn't help. It just meant that as well as being depicted as an angry, out of touch, bigoted loudmouth ruining his own legacy, Moz got to be all that and a horrible git antagonising the other Smith, the nice Smith that everyone likes. It made everything worse. And the reason it felt 'egged on' was that even though Moz has long held gripes like that, all his reference points in that letter were years out of date. He couldn't come up with anything of substance that Johnny had actually said - just banged on about Golden Lights when Johnny hadn't mentioned it in years. It made him look bitter and a bit daft, like he was nursing grudges about things that nobody else understood, spoiling for a fight when nobody wanted one. If he said that stuff privately, Johnny could have reassured him and that would have been it.

Agree. He definitely should have kept it private, it didn’t benefit him or the hope for reconciliation at all.
That’s your opinion, I definitely don’t agree with it. It was a well phrased letter urging Johnny to stop letting himself be used for clickbait reasons only. Saying terrible things like ‘I don’t share M’s views’, ‘we were never friends in the first place’ and to top it all ‘that guy in Modest Mouse is the best lyricist I worked with’ :rolleyes:

The letter was fine, and said what needed to be said. Johnny response on the other hand, comparing Morrissey to Trump, was typically lazy and below the belt.
I could understand why he wrote it, and it seemed something he just finally had to get off his chest. But making it public was just as childish as Marr’s response.

That’s your opinion, I definitely don’t agree with it. It was a well phrased letter urging Johnny to stop letting himself be used for clickbait reasons only. Saying terrible things like ‘I don’t share M’s views’, ‘we were never friends in the first place’ and to top it all ‘that guy in Modest Mouse is the best lyricist I worked with’ :rolleyes:

The letter was fine, and said what needed to be said. Johnny response on the other hand, comparing Morrissey to Trump, was typically lazy and below the belt.
But Morrissey didn't point to any of those comments, did he? I know that diehard fans will have an encyclopaedic knowledge of these comments but most people don't, and Moz simply didn't back himself up at all. If you're going to go after the 'nicest man in music' in public, you need receipts and he didn't have them. That's why he looked so bad. And why would it be terrible not to share M's views?

But Morrissey didn't point to any of those comments, did he? I know that diehard fans will have an encyclopaedic knowledge of these comments but most people don't, and Moz simply didn't back himself up at all. If you're going to go after the 'nicest man in music' in public, you need receipts and he didn't have them. That's why he looked so bad. And why would it be terrible not to share M's views?
I doubt he cared too much how it looked. Marr's response was worse in any case.

Well, he definitely alluded to them, and he was not out to get a popularity prize. He just wanted to make sure Johnny got the message.

And he did as I don’t think I’ve heard Johnny mention his name again in interviews ever since.

I doubt he cared too much how it looked. Marr's response was worse in any case.
What does he care about, these days? Endlessly shooting himself in the foot, over and over and over.

Well, he definitely alluded to them, and he was not out to get a popularity prize. He just wanted to make sure Johnny got the message.

And he did as I don’t think I’ve heard Johnny mention his name again in interviews ever since.
He could have done that in private without making himself the target of more hate... again.

Do you actually think Morrissey and Johnny still have or can have private conversations!?
That was ages ago.
Of course they could, if they wanted to. Don't be silly.

What does he care about, these days? Endlessly shooting himself in the foot, over and over and over.

Well, he definitely doesn’t care about keeping good songwriters in his band, lol. But on a side note, he’s always been one to avoid conflict, either shutting the blinds and ignoring it, or leaving it to others in hope they’ll do what they’re paid to do. I guess, you can’t buy trust, as we’ve seen recently. I mean, I get the impression Morrissey hasn’t been told all that’s been going on.

Wait, what?
I stepped out for a few weeks and band members have left??
Someone please summarise what's happened with Gustavo, Alain and the dynamic.
Just as the lineup was really gelling...

it’s all speculation as usual, but it seems something has gone wrong in tour management, a disagreement. Also, I can imagine with Jesse being musical director (or whatever his title is) he has been put into a position where he may have made some wrong choices, which may have also added to Alain & Gustavo’s decision to leave.

I’m sure you’ll get other opinions on this, take your pick.

Field trip start: I saw FGTH's first performance since 1987 and the failed reunion in 2004 (Reuniting the bands on VH1). Never do I want this to happen to The Smiths. It is undignified. Some things belong to youth and youth alone. And with Frankie in particular, you can see it's all about the money (yeah and Liverpool of course). No matter how low Morrissey still falls and how low profile Marr is on the road. It wouldn't be all right. They are not lads who are now getting on well again.
Field trip end

Last edited:
More Frankie parallels:
Years active: 83(some say 82) -87
Solo career: just Holly
Relationship between band members: freezing
Paul Rutherford - Peter Hogg

Maybe they can ad Camila Grey as a tour keyboarder. ;-)

Last edited:
Neither of them have for at least a decade.

To reach out to the other now would/could only be seen as a huge change of mind to which neither would ever admit.

Yes, one of them would need to be the better
person, and it doesn’t seem likely that will happen anytime soon. That’s not to say that they one day won’t be on speaking terms. But a musical collaboration? Time is not on their side.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom